Training Log & Other Ramblings

TinyFarmer

Ranger from UK
Hello, hope everyone’s doing well.

After a few failed attempts at an exercise regime, I’m starting an activity log and will try my best to keep it for a year, lest the hive see my failure and an empty thread. Nothing like the threat of online humiliation to keep me on the straight and narrow!

About a year ago, I got a change of duties in my job. I went from a warehouse-based, heavy lifting role to a desk job behind a computer. At the same time, my home life on the family farm became less active, my father now has a hired hand to help out while I’m working, so I’m no longer needed except at the weekends (fair enough, can’t blame Dad). Thirdly, my horse got arthritis, so there is far less riding than usual (for anyone concerned, she’s loved, on the correct medication, and isn’t forced beyond what her joints are comfortable with).

I was naïve in thinking I’d be fine and keep my figure and fitness. Two clothes sizes up and a spare tyre later, I realised I was very wrong.

My goal is to do a little bit of everything - challenges and programs, at least one workout a day, and gym a few times a week. I also want to take up some other activities such as skipping, swimming, maybe yoga, anything to make exercising fun (I may count manual farm labour as a substitute). Any rides on the horse may be noted but will not count as a substitute for exercise - I don’t want to put that pressure on her. My diet isn’t too bad, pretty balanced nutritionally, but I do eat too much, so cutting out the second (and third) helping is a good start.

The end result is that I want to fit into the entirety of my wardrobe, look good in a bridesmaid dress this October, and just feel better about myself in general. So here goes!

TinyFarmer

Ranger from UK
Day 1: No actual workouts today, busy pulling ivy off the side of a farm building. Lots of vines so thick you could rappel down a cliff with them! I feel I’ve fulfilled my quota today hanging off a troublesome plant, my grip strength will be better after all that.

Broke up the work with a short horse ride too, just to the local village and back.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
Welcome and best wishes for your journey! :hello:

TinyFarmer

Ranger from UK
Hi everyone, thank you for your likes and kind words.

Day 2: Family get together today, involving a muddy 5 mile walk in gorgeous weather, so hooray. The pub lunch after cancelled it out though, but good food with family is still worth it, especially if you see them very infrequently. To limit the damage, did 3 sets of side quest workout and the inner warrior yoga workout. Good Lord, I’m very inflexible!

TinyFarmer

Ranger from UK
Day 3: … I think today shall be deemed a rest day. First day back at work since Christmas, it was stressful enough without the pressure of exercising!
Also had an evening of bass trombone playing in a brass band (I count it as breath control and lung expansion exercises - in my dreams).