Secret Santa Workout Gift Exchange

Syrius

Valkyrie from The Sonoran Desert
Pronouns: she/her
"Energy and persistence conquers all things. -Benjamin Franklin"
Hello Bees! Almost all done with my investigations. ;) Heeropotter, I don't want to you to go on without knowing and since you don't have time to look, here you go! You should check out Proister's penguin drawing earlier in the thread in his check-in thread, it's really cute!
@Proister gifted @heeropotter

edit: corrected location of adorable penguin

Last edited:

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
Okay, I've decided that it is too much fun helping other Bees find their Santas. I don't care if I get revealed any more. So, one more for tonight.
@Anek gifted @OJJJEM
Yessss correct!

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
@Syrius it turns out your spreadsheet was most excellent!

Congratulations to @Nevetharine , @Syrius , @Sólveig , @Mianevem , @Maegaranthelas , @neilarey , @graoumia , @Anek , @Gandhalfit , (and me--but I had an unfair advantage), who all correctly deduced who their Secret Santas were. And mad props to @Syrius who figured out everyone else's!

But seriously guys: the biggest props go to all of you for creating such amazing gifts!

Thank you once more to the Viking Elf and the Gift-Wrapping Elf for your help, and thank you to everyone for playing!

Should we do this again next year?

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Yes please, more next year :D
:happy:
I am a little sad some people signed up but didn't follow through,
Everyone who signed up (who qualified to participate) did follow through on designing a really thoughtful gift for their giftee. This was the main requirement for participation, about which I had said, "If you sign up, YOU ARE COMMITTING TO DOING THIS!"

It's true some Bees were a bit quiet in their check-in threads re: logging the gifts they did. I tried to help out there with providing clues for giftees where I couldn't find any in their Santas' threads. And I think @Syrius 's sleuthing work helped to keep the guessing game fun for everyone where some giftees just didn't have the time or other resources to hunt down their own Santas.

It is the nature of the Hive that some of us here are very chatty and others are much less so. We also come from all over the world, and everyone has a different level of English language proficiency. This event required a pretty high level of written English skill to be able to participate. (My second language is French. I know I would have really struggled to participate in an event like this in French! Mianevem certainly would not have received as involved of a story if I'd had to write it in any language other than English!)

I wanted to make the gift exchange as inclusive and welcoming of an event as possible. But this was honestly a bit scary. It is easy to sign up for an account in an online community. It is even easier to abandon one. DAREBEE's December events always draw in new people (and draw back some old people who had gone quiet). Some of these new/newly-returned folks become active members of the Hive. Which is great! But a lot more people sign up for accounts, then post once (or not at all) and then disappear.

When I posted a public invitation to participate in this event, I knew it would be seen by both long time regulars, new Bees, and even folks who did not have a Hive account at all. When @Damer asked if DAREBEE could promote the event on the site's front page, and I gave my blessing for that, I knew it would be seen by even more new people and casual visitors. I was confident any long time regulars who signed up would follow through on designing a great gift. But I just could not know that about new Bees who I had never met before.

The main reason there was a long gap between the deadline for turning in your gifts and when I posted them was because I needed to allow myself time in case anyone signed up but then disappeared without creating a gift, which would have forced me to scramble at the last minute to create extra gifts for anyone who had created a gift for someone else but not had one created for them. Thankfully, this did not happen! (It was still a good thing I'd built that time in there, because that time ended up being used by the Gift-Wrapping Elf to work her magic. :happy:)

In the end, we had 19 participants, 4 of whom were new to our community and set-up brand new check-in threads for the very first time, specifically so they could participate in this event! Every one of those 19 people created a wonderful, thoughtful gift which I think really demonstrated the creativity and caring of our Hive community. DAREBEE is a special place. And I think we captured the spirit of that place together here well.

but you lovelies made it a fun experience :hooray:
Yeah! I'm glad! :D

Syrius

And I think @Syrius 's sleuthing work helped to keep the guessing game fun for everyone where some giftees just didn't have the time or other resources to hunt down their own Santas.
Honestly, that's a big part of why I didn't just make all my guesses all at once. I thought if I spread it out a little, anybody who was still trying to guess and just needed a little more information might find my guesses help them to eliminate possibilities. And it gave people a chance to dispute an incorrect deduction.
(It was still a good thing I'd built that time in there, because that time ended up being used by the Gift-Wrapping Elf to work her magic. :happy:)
The Gift-Wrapping Elf just added a whole extra layer of magic and if I haven't said it before, thank you Gift-Wrapping Elf! :love:

Maegaranthelas

Bard from The Netherlands
Pronouns: They/them
"I sing and I know things"
I wholeheartedly agree that I am glad this event brought some new people into the hive!
You and your delightful gift-wrapping elf did a fantastic job and I am glad I participated.
And the fact that everybody managed to put together a workout gift is amazing, and I shall be proud of that :move:

Proister

Paladin Posts: 13
Hello Bees! Almost all done with my investigations. ;) Heeropotter, I don't want to you to go on without knowing and since you don't have time to look, here you go! You should check out Proister's penguin drawing earlier in the thread in his check-in thread, it's really cute!
@Proister gifted @heeropotter

edit: corrected location of adorable penguin
yeah, that was me!
@heeropotter , I first wanted to make balanced workouts for you, but then after I started writing the story, it turned out to be what you saw as a result.
I hope you enjoyed the gift)

P.S.
@Syrius how did you know? :freak:

Syrius

yeah, that was me!
@heeropotter , I first wanted to make balanced workouts for you, but then after I started writing the story, it turned out to be what you saw as a result.
I hope you enjoyed the gift)

P.S.
@Syrius how did you know? :freak:
I've gotta say, I thought that your gift was unique and really fun! As for how did I know, the Dragon Elf posted some hints. "Your Santa might be a hard task master, but he's not punchy." & "Look for a bird experiencing its summer season this time of year." Before she had posted the hint, I had no clue who you might have gifted. (You were one of my few that I had highlighted for no suspicion of gift) When she posted the first round of clues, I had gone through everyone that I didn't have a guess for, looking for details that popped out at me. (Like the hint translated "Wake up" for graoumia lead me & graoumia to Gandhalfit, whose check-in thread is titled "Good Morning Log".) You mentioned in your note to Santa that you didn't like to punch. Also, a penguin in the southern hemisphere would be experiencing summer right now, and you posted that adorable little penguin, and that was what really confirmed it for me. Without the Dragon Elf's clues, I would have had a hard time guessing you correctly. :excited:

Last edited:

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 585
@OJJJEM are you my Secret Santa? :lovely:
It was so cute and creative!
Maybe.... Yes! :ss:
Dr Evil GIF

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I've gotta say, I thought that your gift was unique and really fun! As for how did I know, the Dragon Elf posted some hints. "Your Santa might be a hard task master, but he's not punchy." & "Look for a bird experiencing its summer season this time of year." Before she had posted the hint, I had no clue who you might have gifted. (You were one of my few that I had highlighted for no suspicion of gift) When she posted the first round of clues, I had gone through everyone that I didn't have a guess for, looking for details that popped out at me. (Like the hint translated "Wake up" for graoumia lead me & graoumia to Gandhalfit, whose check-in thread is titled "Good Morning Log".) You mentioned in your note to Santa that you didn't like to punch. Also, a penguin in the southern hemisphere would be experiencing summer right now, and you posted that adorable little penguin, and that was what really confirmed it for me. Without the Dragon Elf's clues, I would have had a hard time guessing you correctly. :excited:

Like I said, the Hive's private eye. Syrius P.I.