Fighting now for a better tomorrow

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
Cannot fall asleep (I know the screen isn't helping but nor does putting it away). Last day of holiday tomorrow but then it's only Thursday of work before the weekend.
First days of the holiday I was able to fall asleep around midnight and wake up in the not so late morning but I guess I'm stressed out again. I always had issues with my sleep patterns but in the last two years the stress of being late to work doesn't seem to exist and I just sleep on. I have a referral to a sleep lab so maybe that would help.
Also, there's a guy down in the street making noises he's about to die. I'd be worried but he's been there for months at this time of night when I'm awake and can hear him. He needs to lay off the cigarettes or quit alcohol or whatever makes him do that.
Things around me that are out of my control are a mess (a bit more than usual) but I seem to be able to ignore them most of the time.
That's it, just can't sleep

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
Apparently I fell asleep around 2.30am according to my smartwatch. So I slept for about 6 hours which is at least 1 hour bellow what I need to not feel tired... If everything is alright I sleep for 9 hours.
I had a dream just before waking up. I was in the shower and time was 7.40. I was trying to hurry up and told myself that I have to make the 8 o'clock bus because the 8.30 bus would get me to work too late.
Then Chelsea woke me up demanding cuddles 😻

After a few days of really good diet and a lot of working out I'm finally only 15kg away from my old weight. Better than nothing.

Last edited:

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
No workout today. I was busy cleaning the house and lost track and now it's late. I need to get a good or at least an okay night sleep tonight so I'll continue tomorrow.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Last night was better but fell short of real rest or getting me on time to work. Luckily for me though, heavy rainfall made a lot of people late including my manager so, all good for now and tomorrow I have that sleep lab appointment 🤞

In other news, I have to skip working out tonight as well because I got back late again. I saw an add online for a used scooter in a good condition so I contacted the seller and bought it. I have a scooter now, for short distances. It's regular/manual not electric. It runs great but I need to get used to using it on the road because our side walks are specially designed so that you can't roll on them safely, or without making an enormous amount of noise. Okay maybe not specially designed but that's the outcome.

I did get over 7k steps and 10 minutes of active calorie burning according to my watch.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
That's ... kinda ironic, if you can forgive me! As in "I sleep so bad, I was so tired I overslept and missed the appointment". Hugs.
It is, sadly. It is funny... I can't ignore that

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
I was so tired yesterday and somehow made myself stay awake past 9pm so I fell asleep almost instantly at 11pm, woke up at 5:30am and did days 5 of the challenges:
Kick master & Push up ladder.
I think I'll replace push up ladder with an easier challenge. I reached a wall too high today. I could do it if I separate the close grip + wide grip push ups from the regular push ups but I don't know yet.

I forgot this is eve of holocaust remembrance day so I can't (won't) do any exercise that requires loud, up-beat music. Instead I did a couple of commemorative workouts:
Nomad & Perseverance both on L3. It took about 30 minutes without breaks.

Chelsea is doing great, keeps wanting to play every waking hour :D

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
I had a cramped neck Wednesday and Thursday so I didn't do much after work and rested most of yesterday too.
Today though:
I got the helmet 🪖 and finally took the scooter 🛴 out for a spin. It was tougher than I thought it'll be. I'll need to get in shape and get used to it before using it to commute.
My watch has a skateboarding option so I used it. In 20 minutes in total, with a lot of stops I used up 150 calories and my highest heart rate was 144 bpm.
Also, some roads are not as smooth.

20230422_210039.jpg

NancyTree

Valkyrie from The Netherlands
Ooh it's a  scooter, that is cool, but hard indeed. I had one as a kid.

In the Netherlands when you say scooter (especially in the context of commuty) you mean this:

download (1).jpeg

So I was confused when you talked about a skateboarding mode and burned calories, until I saw the picture 😆

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
@NancyTree 😄

It's even weirder here. We don't use the word scooter but, the vehicle has its own word (katnoa), a skateboard (galgeshet) has its own word which nobody uses - everyone just say sket-bored...

But the 🛴 is called korkinet, and I have no idea what language it came from...

Last edited:

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
@Tileenah 😁 I had a lot of time in a traffic jam on the bus this morning so I checked... apparently we call it korkinet because we mispronounce the French word trotinette 🙃
And it also has a Hebrew word which no one uses or know about, I guess: galginoa
@NancyTree Probably but it's worth checking. You might stumble upon some interesting explanation 🤔 😉

Last edited:

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Have you guys ever heard people talking about something and they were so wrong you wouldn't even know how to start explaining they're wrong.. and I'm not talking about opinions. I mean stuff like climate change and the basic principles of democracy... all they have is "you were brainwashed" and "that's not conclusive proof, I read that scientists forge results and fabricate facts"
And I can't even use some very good analogies because all anyone would hear is... well never mind. I can't even get myself to type it.

As much as I would love too, I can't sit around at work with headphones all day.

Does anyone have a cognitive hack to get other people to start thinking for themselves?

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Other people no. But you can find some peace and learn more about your own beliefs and ways to demonstrate stuff effectively with critical mind and people who practice it. I have a ton of references but they're all in french sadly 😥
I don't know if it is a comfort of some sort but those people criticizing science are actually trusting it pretty far in their everyday life (using phones and cars and computers and such...).
Hang in there, you're not alone :hug:

manuela

from Venice, Italy
Pronouns: she/her
Have you guys ever heard people talking about something and they were so wrong you wouldn't even know how to start explaining they're wrong.. and I'm not talking about opinions. I mean stuff like climate change and the basic principles of democracy... all they have is "you were brainwashed" and "that's not conclusive proof, I read that scientists forge results and fabricate facts"
And I can't even use some very good analogies because all anyone would hear is... well never mind. I can't even get myself to type it.

As much as I would love too, I can't sit around at work with headphones all day.

Does anyone have a cognitive hack to get other people to start thinking for themselves?
I think there's no cognitive hack strong enough for those people... the simply bask in the glory of not knowing any basic element of scientific method, information literacy and whatsoever. Pretty sad, and pretty sad you can't work with headphones all day :hug:

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
I think there's no cognitive hack strong enough for those people... the simply bask in the glory of not knowing any basic element of scientific method, information literacy and whatsoever. Pretty sad, and pretty sad you can't work with headphones all day :hug:
The headphones thing, yeah, I wish.
But thank you though.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Just to catch you up, my apartment contract ends in two months but the apartment I'm paying for should be ready in November or way sooner... it puts me in a lot of stress since I'm not sure what to do. I'll get over it but this plus everything else around is making me.. :panic:

Bye for now and thanks @CODawn @manuela @NancyTree @Tileenah and everyone.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
So you're not entirely sure where to stay for the gap between the end of the contract on one flat and the beginning of the next? That sounds stressful, indeed.
:hug:
I do have options but they come with other issues.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
The most obvious option is to stay where I am (if the rent won't go up) lease the new apartment bellow market value (if possible) since it's suitable for a young family (a couple with up to 2 young kids) and move there after finding a job nearby or buying a car that can get me to the center of the country... this way I won't have to move back with my parents and be able to return the mortgage from the rent for a while.