Hold the Flame

BrigidForged

Shieldmaiden from France
Pronouns: She/They
Prreviously Nanna Io - Old thread: https://www.community.darebee.com/threads/keeping-momentum.339

This thread should have been called Moulded by Water but as swimming is off the table for the moment that will be for a future name change. :ss:

Ok so now to explaining this new thread business, the following is a talk about spirituality rather than fitness and rather weird so if you are not interested feel free to skip to the fitness part below.

A couple of years ago, I dabbled in the world of witchcraft and paganism. No, I don't actually believe that crystals will heal me and unlike many who jumped on this bandwagon I don't cast spells trying to improve my life. What appeals to me is the ritualistic aspect of this practice. Something which I have noticed has helped me keep consistency in the past. This was also confirmed by my psychologist an year back and is apparently explained in a book called The Sacred an the Profane: The Nature of Religion Basically people need rituals to close cycles and they are, even if we do not realise it, a central part of our life.

I also realised that spiritually speaking, I connect much more to animism than a theistic religion or buddhism, which is a path I had tried to follow in the past. There is one exception though, I have found myself drawn to the figure of Brigid, a Goddes in Irish Paganism turned Saint following Catholic influence in Ireland.

I don't want to say I venerate her, that is not the point, but I appreciate what she stands for, a bit like I would look up to what Lagertha from Vikings stands for. I like that she has many aspects including healing, poetry and the forge - especially the last one appeals to me as challenging traditional gender roles. There is also a mother aspect which once again, appeals to me in contrast to other aspects. I also see her as a symbol for adaptation to the times, moving from a Pagan figure to a Catholic one as times changed (and a new religion was forced upon the population, but she managed to remain).

I am still a very pragmatic, down-to-earth person despite what I may have written above but a spiritual practice is something I have realised I need, and I want to link the fitness journey to it. I namely want to link my fitness practice to the forge aspect of Brigid, by forging my body if you want.

So... after writing this I realise this is a very unusual post for this site. I hope I did not scare anyone away with this and the rest of the thread will be much more conventional I promise. Unless someone is curious, I do not plan to share my spiritual practice but just keep it to the fitness part. I just wanted to explain what the hell happened to my account and share my change in the way I look at my fitness journey. The only exception may be Imbolc where I may do a short celebratory post.

I welcome questions on all this so do not hesitate!

Back to exercising:

I am currently on Vitality due to an injury while doing Fit December, I will do this until Sunday and then see if I do another week or if I keep it as a warm-up while adding a L2 program to it.

The keyword of this year is consistency, I have come to realise that my body does not bounce back as it used to and I really need to have a consistent practice and ideally move a bit every day - and what better than DAREBEE for that!

As mentioned in my old thread, I am not sure I will be able to connect again before the new year. I have a very intense two weeks coming up with Christmas and moving to a new country. :cry:

I will try to start updating regularly in the new year but it is not excluded that this thread will remain sporadic as the old one. I just have too many things on my plate.

So, in case I don't manage to check in before, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, a Happy New year, and a period of Holiday and Rest!

Last edited:

BrigidForged

Shieldmaiden from France
Oooops I just realised I forgot to link my old thread and username. It is done now!

I am moving (back) to Germany! I was actually in the south of France up until now but I have been to Bretagne a few times and love it.

yeah I come from Christianity too and I think part of what draws me is that fact that she was incorporate into Christianity as well as a Saint. :LOL: But then again, I tend to be drawn to all figures which mix traditional and non-traditional gender roles. Strangely enough I have only found female figured that do that and no male figure. :(

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
The figure of the Goddess Brigit who later became a saint with the advance of Christianity in Ireland is really very interesting, especially her changing and remaining at the same time.
I never celebrated the cycles of life until I met my partner who taught me.
I have learned that it is important to celebrate what has ended in order to welcome what is to come.
I really like to give a symbolic meaning to what I do, it allows me to participate with all of myself.
In short: welcome back and enjoy your new hero's journey :)

BrigidForged

Shieldmaiden from France
Thank you all for the warm welcomes! As foreseen, I was not able to post the days following my new thread creation, what I was not expecting is to take so long to come back.

The rythm in Germany is very different than what I was used to in France - people come and leaver early here rather than sticking to 9 to 5 or arrive late and leave late. Not being a morning person, this had some impacts on my circadian rythm. I am also working very long hours so that I can get on top of things quickly, so the little time I have left when I am not sleeping I spend keeping in touch with my boyfriend.

And exercising :)

I am really blessed with my boyfriend, and how he just won't let me make excuses to not exercise. I am now 20 days in and have been doing two prgrams in parallel - Vitality at L2 and Square 1 at L3. I finished Vitality two days ago, and replaced it with LIIT.

I am also walking a LOT more due to taking the train and, since I live in the countryside and I have load of time on the weekends, I try to go on a walk

I am also veeeeryz loosely tracking my food in Cronometer. I did it back in September when I went on an almost vegan diet (vegetarian, but I cannot eat milk products so it alwazs ends up being almost vegan) to ensure my nutrient intake was well-balanced. I liked the app and so I decided to do it again for a month, but honestly, since I am not weighing everything and mostly just logging similar foods (especially for lunch, as I eat at my company's canteen), I may continue doing it since the stats are really, really interesting.

So to recap, here has been my program up until now:

Vitality L2 + Square 1 L3: 7th of January - 25th of January
LIIT L3 + Square 1 L3: 26th of January - current.

I do hope to be able to check in more frequently, even if it is just on the other threads. I cannot say it enough but the darebee community is amazing and I always enjoy coming back here.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Bravo for Vitality!
And grins for work times. I'm a morning person, and indeed there can be some disconnect with other coworkers, specially a few ones who do are night owls... I try to respect their schedule - it aien't my business when they work as long as their work is done ; hopefully they reciprocate but that's ... not quite always the fact.