WolfDreamer Returns, Stronger, Faster, Smarter, Calmer

WolfDreamer

Ranger from West Virginia, United States
"respawinning"
I have been away from this community for a while now and felt it was time to return. I need as much support and motivation as I can while I attempt to rebuild my daily discipline. Below are my current goals and how I plan to achieve those goals:

War Fight GIF by Hunchback Music

STRONGER:

GOAL: By the end of this challenge, I will have increased my physical strength by at least 25% as measured by an increase in number of reps to failure of kettlebell single-arm overhead press.

HOW: I will pick "heavy things" up and put them back down for at least 20 minutes, three days a week; this will include mostly kettlebell training with some "greasing the groove" using resistance bands, random heavy objects, and my kids. Training will look like this:

Sunday -- Benchmark (single arm overhead press to failure, count reps; 30 minute run, note distance)

Monday -- Five rounds of:

200 meter run
kettlebell clean and press x 2 each side
goblet squat x 5
two-handed kettlebell swing x 20
rest 2 minutes

Tuesday -- 30 minute run; record time

Wednesday -- 5-10 rounds of:
25 double-arm kettlebell swings
30 seconds rest
25 alternating kettlebell swings
30 seconds rest
25 single-arm kettlebell swings L
30 seconds rest
25 single-arm kettlebell swings R
2 minutes rest
Alternating kettlebell clean & press x 30 (15 per side)
2 minutes rest
Alternating kettlebell dead snatch x 14 (7 per side)
Straight leg singe-arm kettlebell deadlift x 30 (15 per side)
Overhead triceps extension x 15

Thursday -- 30 minute run; improve previous distance

Friday -- 15-45 minutes of:

clean with left hand
press with left hand
one arm front squat with left hand
one handed swing with left hand
park the kettlebell, recover, repeat with right hand

Saturday -- Distance run on trails; mark distance and pace

Kimetsu No Yaiba Sleeping GIF by iQiyi

FASTER:

GOAL: By the end of this challenge, I will be able to run a sub-30 minute 5k as measured by a 5k run.

HOW: I will run for 30 minutes at least two days a week, with a distance/endurance run at least one day a week and sprint/speed intervals at least one day a week (see 200 m run above).

Studying College Life GIF

SMARTER:

GOALS: By the end of the challenge, I will increase my daily use of Duolingo; I will increase my daily reading habit by at least 5 minutes a day; I will learn at least one new thing daily.

HOW:

I will set a reminder to complete at least the daily requirements to achieve a 30 day streak on Duolingo
I will set aside at least 30 minutes of reading time daily
I will use apps such as Humane and Kinnu to learn new information, as well as the NPR app and podcasts.

Benedict Cumberbatch Meditate GIF by Spider-Man

CALMER:

GOAL: By the end of the challenge, I will improve my mental health by reducing my angry reactions to stress.

HOW:

I will use a meditation app to increase my meditation/contemplative prayer practice from 10 minutes to 15 minutes.
I will take 30 minute mindful walks to help clear my mind.
I will write down what I am grateful for and create daily affirmations using the 5 Minute Journal app.
I will practice a relaxing breathing technique (short inhale through nose, long exhale through mouth) and apply this technique in moments of stress and frustration.
I will listen to music that elevates my mood.

Last edited:

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
I tested positive for COVID earlier this week and had to take the rest of the week off from work. I should be getting better Sunday or Monday (when I can return to work). So no progress on my physical challenges yet. I have, however, been meditating and reading and also keeping up my Duolingo streak (51 days now). I have looked through the Long Covid collection just in case I don't feel fully recovered next week to ease back into working out.

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
Thank you everyone who sent healing vibes. I feel so much better today. I'm going to attempt my benchmark workout tomorrow rather than my usual Monday workout, while not overdoing it. I guess the good news is I know I will see progress because I haven't worked out in over a week, so the bar will be set rather low. But I am ready to get back at it, just baby steps so as to not overdo it.

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
Week 1 Update:

So, I recovered well enough from COVID. I did not work out much last week, other than a few runs, including a night time 5k trail race. I did complete the benchmark with the following results:
  • 30 minute run: 2.44 miles
  • kb press total: 8 per arm
I was consistent with my SMARTER goals but slacked with my STRONGER and CALMER goals. However, this week is looking better for me already. Feeling stronger and more prepared than last week.

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
I wish I could say my progress has been "Great!," but it's more of a "Meh," at this point. I do plan on following the same challenge goals until I accomplish them but perhaps taking a simpler approach. I make so many excuses for why I do not do the things I know I need to do, but I also try to be gracious when I consider how hectic and busy my life really is most of the time. With six kids, three dogs, and a full time career, life really does interfere with my plans.

But I'm not giving up, nor am I abandoning my goals. I am always grateful for those who check up on me when I've been "off the boards" for a while.

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
I've been off for a long time so I know how you probably feel but, never give up, never surrender :yas:

Thank you for understanding, and for the motivation to carry onward!

This morning, I completed a kettlebell workout using a Lebe Stark video. I will link the video below. The workout included:

Two rounds:
  • hand to hand deadlift (2 minutes)
  • strict press (1 minute L/1 minute R)
  • single-arm swings (1 minute L/1 minute R)
  • 1 minute rest
One Round:
Farmer's Life: alternate suitcase carry, rack carry, overhead carry (1 minute L/1 minute R)

I felt great both during and after the workout. I love working with a kettlebell, and the videos really help me visualize how I should be completing the exercise.

Onwards! :kungfu:

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
11/28/23 Update:
  • 2.85 mile run in the cold (32F/1.1C); time was 31:17; while running, this song came on, and I became very overwhelmed with a flood of dopamine and felt near tears:
  • started reading Lazarus, a graphic novel series by Greg Rucka
  • read an entry in the Henri Nouwen collection The Only Necessary Thing
  • sat in quiet contemplation
  • listened to a podcast interview with Brian Johnson, founder and CEO of Heroic (also hosted Philosopher's Notes on Youtube); he talked about his new book, Arete, which I plan to get soon. Through this interview, I learned several things about what Arete really means and how it is relevant to the Stoics and to today's society.
  • listened to the Skyrim soundtrack

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
11/29/23 Update:
  • used another Lebe Stark video to complete the kettlebell workout below
    • 2 rounds of:
      • clean & squat (2 minutes)
      • jerk (1 minute L/1 minute R)
      • snatches (1 minute L/1 minute R)
    • 1 round of:
      • Farmer's carry (1 minute L/1 minute R)
  • sat in quiet contemplation for 10 minutes
  • continuing Lazarus, a graphic novel series by Greg Rucka
  • read another entry in the Henri Nouwen collection The Only Necessary Thing
  • listened to an episode of ManTalks in which Connor interviews the creator of the Instagram page The Tin Men.
  • listened to more of the Skyrim soundtrack
  • completed the daily requirements for Duolingo

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
I have been in the midst of Andrew Huberman's extensive conversations with exercise scientist Andy Galpin. It is very informative but also a lot to process. Luckily, Huberman also has a Youtube channel of clips from his episodes. Because I know that most people do not have 12+ hours to listen to every episode, here are just a few of the best:

WolfDreamer

"respawinning"
I've updated my goals for 2024. Ready to make this an awesome year!

STRENGTH GOAL: I will increase my strength by 10% in 7 different kettlebell exercises (swings, goblet squats, kb push-ups, racked squats, deadlifts, rows, snatches, and overhead press) by training four times a week for 12 weeks with a 35 lb (16 kg) kettlebell. I will measure my strength by the number of repetitions I can perform with good form for each exercise and record my progress in a journal or an app starting January1st and follow up with weekly strength tests. I will follow a periodized kettlebell workout routine that also includes warm-up, cool-down, and recovery sessions. I will also eat a balanced diet, drink enough water, and get enough sleep to support my training. Achieving this goal will improve my overall health, performance, and physique.

SPEED GOAL: I will run 5k in less than 30 minutes by following an 8 week training plan beginning January 1st that includes interval training, tempo runs, long runs, and recovery runs. I will measure my progress my timing my 5k runs and tracking my pace and distance with the Nike Run Club app. I will also do some cross-training and strength training (see above) to prevent injuries and improve my overall fitness. Achieving this goal will challenge me and boost my confidence, as well as help me prepare for longer races and improve my health and well-being.

MEDITATION GOAL: I will meditate for 20 minutes every day using a guided meditation app. I will track my meditation sessions and duration on the app and on a calendar. I will start January 1st by adding 5 minutes to my current 10 minute meditation practice every week until I reach 20 minutes. I want to meditate more because it helps me reduce stress, improve focus, and feel happier. I will achieve my goal of meditating for 20 minutes daily by the end of next month.

JOURNALING GOAL: I will write in my journal every day for at least 10 minutes, using prompts or free writing to express my thoughts and feelings. I will track my journaling habit on a calendar or an app and aim for a 100% completion rate each month. I will schedule a time for journaling that works for me and make it a priority in my daily routine. I will also prepare a comfortable and quiet space for journaling and have a notebook and pen ready. I will write in my journal to improve my mental health, creativity, and self-awareness. I will also use journaling as a way to reflect on my goals and progress and celebrate my achievements. I will write in my journal every day for the next six months starting January 1st and then evaluate the benefits and challenges of my journaling habit.