Fail Forward

Sif_Shepard

Fighter from the Normandy SR-2
Pronouns: she/her
"ad astra per aspera"
With Dresden it does get better as the series progresses, but if you can't finish the first one I understand not wanting to continue.

I have probably more fantasy on my shelf that urban fantasy, and I don't know that you'll love my recommendations :eyes: The Percy Jackson series is pretty cool and has lots of Greek mythology in the story telling, skews quite young though but pretty entertaining, especially if you like that mythology (I do). I am also a fan of all things vampire trash and I know that's a pretty divisive sub-genre but a lot of them are considered urban fantasy. The Sookie Stackhouse books are good, a bit more adult. My recent favorite from this past year is Vampire Academy and the spinoff series Bloodlines. I don't know how I missed them when they first came out and I was closer to the age group but holy shit I love them and I will die on that hill lol. Another good series I read recently is the Lunar Chronicles- not really urban fantasy but more of a dystopian cyberpunk retelling of some classic fairy tales (Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White) each book introduces a new one but they all intermingle in an interesting way as the story builds off one another. The first one take place in the futuristic territory of New Beijing and Cinder is a cyborg. It's different but well written and pretty popular.

If any of these sound interesting, or not, to you I might be able to get you more recs later. Also if you're interested in just straight up fantasy I've got some good ones.

Last edited:

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
I'm super glad you mentioned the series! I'm done! It was very good till the end, can't complain.
Then I wanted to order the one about the druid, saw that it's 4 books and the last one is only available on Kindle for now, so I decided to skip it and get the MPD ones instead. Hopefully it stays at 3.
Btw I read the short story in between and tbh it was fine but you haven't missed anything story-wise.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
"Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today"
@Sif_Shepard thanks for the recommendations, I will look through them after I'm done with the Guild Codex books. I'm also interested in straight up fantasy, have read a few books in the past and always interested for more, so keep them coming, if you're in the mood for it :)

@Anek man, I'm happy and relieved that you enjoyed the books so much. I'm still halfway through the sixth one. I have read the short story at the end of book 5, but like I said, the young man didn't impress me much. He's the protagonist of the MPD books, I understand? Keep me updated how you like those books, maybe I'll reconsider.

Dumbbell Fullbody was done today, the WotD (watch me.) and the Daily Kicks challenge. This concludes day 4.

Good thing: I have days when I love how everything feels when I'm working out with dumbbells. Today was one of them.

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
Good thing: I have days when I love how everything feels when I'm working out with dumbbells. Today was one of them.
Me too! I love it, it's the best! :)

I am reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy right now and it's pretty good. The series setting is inspired by tsarist Russia and has Slavic folklore elements, and the magic system is pretty cool. I'm on the second one, and I had to laugh though when one of the side characters was named Privyet.

The Palace Job is one of my favorite books that I've read this past year. I love a good heist story. It's written by Patrick Weekes, one of the writers for some of my favorite video games; I've read a couple of their books and they are always good. This one reminds me a lot of a D&D or RP game plot, it's really fun. I was thrilled to find out it was a trilogy after I'd finished reading it.

Starting to come down with somethin and feeling a little fuzzy so that's all I can think of right now. I read a lot of series, and most of the rest of my bookshelf is sci-fi, YA, or video game novels, and maybe 2 or 3 mysteries. I could use more fantasy and urban fantasy recs too, I didn't read much new stuff during the first year of my recovery, though I'll be busy with the guild codex for a little while (coming tomorrow! yay!).

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Sif_Shepard спасибо. I've written your recent recs in my notebook and will look through them. I looked through my very short list of completed books for something to give back, but I only have Unsouled to offer, a young adult fantasy series inspired by Chinese cultivation books. Have read book 1 so far and thought it was interesting: https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/a93dca08-ec35-4ffa-8e0b-a8f872dc9f7c
And if you're in the mood for some fun fantasy book with an interesting magic system, I can heartily recommend Resenting the Hero, one of my precious few 5 star books I feel very guilty about https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/33c55a55-fc0c-46ac-a54b-6bd089b808a5 :LOL:
I often find new books browsing through random stuff on Storygraph and just choosing one on a whim, without reading what it's about, just going by the tags for what I'm in the mood at the moment. Sometimes, I find gems, sometimes, the complete opposite...
Hope you'll feel better soon.

Easy day today, did Respawn, which had a nice flow, and a short run with Hime. Dropped the Daily Kicks challenge because I really don't like kicks. That marks day 5.

Good thing: I bought a box of butter biscuits today. I sometimes buy them and dunk them in coffee. Rarely though.

Calico

Witcher from France
Pronouns: It/She
"Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations"
Me looking at all the recent book recs :
:peek:

(I'm currently reading Percy Jackson. It does skew young, but it's a fun read. I'd recommend checking Aliette de Bodard's stuff also. I recently read her Dominion of the Fallen series, it's.... post-apocalyptic urban fantasy? maybe? Also In the Vanisher's Palace, I liked too, it also is post-apocalyptic fantasy. It changes to see Vietnamese mythology in fantasy books.)

Link to first book of Dominion of the Fallen (there are three main books in the series and it's finished I think) : https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/d5b8c6c9-b8c4-4aec-b7fc-8e8ad9500533
Link to In the Vanisher's Palace (it's a standalone. pretty rare among what I read in fantasy lol) : https://app.thestorygraph.com/books/6ce6a7ad-88e4-43d5-967d-ec790b7544f9

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Calico welcome to the thread and thanks for the recs! I've added them to the pile, together with @Sif_Shepard's books. Vanisher's Palace seems interesting and not too long, maybe I'll read that after I'm done with the Guild Codex books.
My to-read-pile grows ever bigger...

Regarding Percy Jackson... I have odd thoughts when it comes to the name Percy. First, there is this stupid movie I watched as a teenager: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy's_Progress and then whenever I think of someone named Percy, I have this image of a guy with a moustache and one of those white, shiny, short adidas training shorts in my mind. I immediately remember the sound the fabric makes when it rubs together and how it feels to the touch, because almost every man doing sports during my childhood wore them and it's become nightmare fuel. Percy just sounds like those shorts. I have no idea why.

I did the WotD (Bad Wolf) today, did a run, and that's it. Day 6 in the books.

I'm a bit slow reading atm. Now that the temperatures are in the comfortable 20s and probably will get colder, reading is the last thing that comes to mind. Perfect temperatures for activity.

Good thing: Looks like I found work for the colder months. It's not glamorous, it's probably not fun, and I already groan when I think about getting up early in the morning, but, eh.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Sif_Shepard just checked, my to-read-pile consists of 115 books. In comparison, my actually-read-and-finished-pile is 34 books...
Well, 35 as of today, because I finished book 6 of the Guild Codex books.

Today was the WotD (Havoc), the 3 AM Workout because my back hurt after sitting in front of the PC for an hour, and a run with Hime. Day 7.

I might have to brush up on my bad French in the next months, because chances are, I might get a visit from a relative of my former master who only speaks French and apparently refuses to learn a few words of my language and the country I live in and he wants to visit. Normally, I would decline, but... some people you don't say no to, at least not for a very good reason. This only means Spanish will have to take a backseat for now.

Good thing: My pleks arrived today, so I have something to do this evening. I didn't know 3 mm are that thick.

Edit: It's already Friday I just noticed, so, have a nice weekend everyone.

Last edited:

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Dumbbell Full Body and the WotD (Tendon Strenth Lowerbody) were done today. Day 8.

I wish days were longer. I have so much I want to do, so much to try out, but no time. Or maybe I have time but don't know how to use it. No, it definitely is not enough hours in a day.

Good thing: Found out my cousin is actually a pretty good cook. Made Borschtsch today, tasted fantastic.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Today's workouts were Gladiator, the WotD (Jinn) and a run, without Hime this time, because she was out of her own. I met her on the way back, though. Day 9.

Lately, I'm running a lot. I feel like I got more restless the past weeks. It's not the organised, sporty kind of run. Or at least I think so. I just put on some shoes, leave the house and start running. Sometimes, Hime notices and joins me. I don't track my time or the distance, I just run until I'm done or I'm back home. Feels good, though.

I'll probably do a little walk-and-sleep-outside trip next weekend. After my last desperate getaway months ago, I thought it would be best if I just do a scheduled one now and then when the mood strikes. Well, I'm not really in the mood to get away, but in the mood to spend one or two nights outside and walk a lot. Now probably is a good time, before the temperature drops. Not sure yet, but I'm making tentative plans.

Good thing: Watched old episodes of Pink Panther in German today. Found out that the narrator who speaks in rhymes isn't in the original English version. Pretty weird. It always was the best part of the cartoons for me. I used to watch them with my younger brother and, ah, the memories...

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Thanks, @Sif_Shepard and @Isla Morha. The weather forecast for the weekend looks promising, but I won't be bothered by rain. It's going to be nice, either way.

Another round of the Dumbbell Fullbody Routine and the WotD (Limitless). Those split stretches are always a bit weird for me, because I just slide down into a split and from there on out, it's not much of a stretch. Eh. Day 10 is done. Go me.

Anyone else now and then popping back into the old Hive? It's a bit depressing now, with all the avatars, smileys and pictures gone. It feels a bit like going back into the sports hall/gymnasium after a sports fest at school, after having cleaned up, and you look a last time through the empty hall were an hour or so ago there still was so much going on and now it's deserted. One last look, and you flip the switch to leave. That's how it feels.

Good thing: I got an unannounced inspection in my shop and workshop today and I did reasonably well. Maybe I got a bit aggressive in the beginning because nerves, but by the end, we were able to exchange a few jokes. All went well.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
I still haven't figured out how to jump to the last post of my thread direclty. Eh.

Did Catterpillar-Butterfly, the WotD (Monkey) and a run today. Met Hime halfway through. Day 11.

Also, finished reading The Selection by Kiera Cass, a lightly dystopian romance young adult novel, I think. Had it on my list for some time after some guy on a literature board talked about reading lighthearted romance novels now and then for some fun. Maybe I'm more of a lighthearted books guy. And maybe I should stop pretending to be otherwise. My reading statistics spell it out pretty clearly:
Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 21-46-11 postvelcro's profile on The StoryGraph.png
Eh.
Next will be book 7 of the Guild Codex books, I already started.

Good thing: Fantastic day all around. Hope you're all doing well.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Anek It's only my first year reading, I still have plenty of time to discover more books

Dumbbell Fullbody Routine and the WotD (One Angry Bird) today. Day 12.

Plans are made now, I will leave on Friday after work and probably return Sunday. Well, it's not exactly plans, because that's all there is to it. Weather looks fine, I'll probably head down south and see if I can cross the border. Not sure yet.

Good thing: I felt a bit tired and off today, thought about postponing the workout because of that, but ultimately decided against it. Felt much better after lifting.

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
As someone who has purged a lot of their bookshelf over the last several years because I had so many books I thought I needed to read but were so mind-numbingly dull, and now has a shelf overflowing with books only from genres I really love, I think it's great that you're cultivating your tastes so well as a new reader. Life's too short to waste time on unsatisfying books.

:pose:

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@Sif_Shepard thanks, but I still want to read some serious books some day :p I feel like I should. You probably get what I mean. I want to read War and Peace some day, because I have to, but after all those books I've read, everything over 300 pages still feels daunting.

Easy workout today, only the WotD (So Far So Good). Day 13.

And that will be the end of my streak for now. I'll be gone over the weekend, if nothing unexpected happens. I probably won't workout on my trip, and I don't want to count walking for hours as a workout. So, I'll restart my streak on Sunday or Monday.

Good thing: This is my first planned walking trip just for pleasure. Makes me excited.

I wish you all a nice weekend, see you on Sunday/Monday.

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
I made an attempt at Anna Karenina a long time ago but couldn't get into it. Nothing against Tolstoy but I gave up on the classics awhile back. That's cool you got you copy from your dad though, maybe you'll enjoy working through it so you can discuss it with him. That always makes it more fun in my opinion.

Haha will do :) Enjoy your time away!

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Thank you, @Sif_Shepard @mavie and @Anek.

It was a pretty great trip. I decided against taking Hime with me, and I decided on a few occasions against entering settlements and interacting with people. So, it was only me and nature for two nights. The weather was great, the nights not too cold yet, and I was lucky that there wasn't much dew in the morning. But waking up early in the morning and making some coffee over a small camping stove is a great feeling. As is coming home and being welcomed back, because this time was a planned trip. I got a wonderful stew when I arrived today in the late afternoon.
Sometimes I wished I had a camera with me, because I saw a lot of beautiful scenery, now that the seasons start to turn and a few trees start to yellow. I don't know if I crossed the border and neither do I care, because I only saw another human being only once and retreated into the forest immediately.
Being with my own thoughts without speaking a word for almost three days was nice. Just walking, walking and walking.

No workouts done, though. Tomorrow, back into the daily life and back to workouts.

Good thing: I loved the moment of stepping through the door and being welcomed back immediately. Maybe the trip was worth it just for that.

I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
And just like that, it's back to the same old same old. Not that I mind. I was a bit tired today, no idea why, but I still did what I wanted to do.

Dumbbell Fullbody Routine as well as the WotD (Hit The Ground). Back to Day 1.

Good thing: Started a new puzzle today, finally. After a long break, Napoelon crossing the Alps. Quality of the puzzle is not comparable to the Ravensburger one. But not bad.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
Today was the PM workout and the WotD (Magician). I've done the latter one a lot in the past, whenever I had to sit in front of the PC for some time. Works wonders for the shoulders. Also, a short run. Day 2.

Still oddly tired today. Could have slept all the time, but didn't.
Finished Book 7 of the Guild Codex books today, at work, reading at the counter when no one was there and I had nothing to do. Started the next one immediately after. Might as well finish the ride now, with only that one book left.

Good thing: With all those apples we still have, it was apple pancakes today. They're tasty, but vanish all too quickly for my liking

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@f1shtacular sadly, no, but I'll flip a few over the great pond the next time we'll have them :LOL:

Another dumbbell fullbody routine day, and the WotD (Make My Day). Day 3

Read again during work. Somehow, one of the scenes got to me and I might have got some wetness in my eye. Exactly at the moment someone decided to enter my little shop. Got a bit awkward.

Good thing: Had pasta with tomato sauce and butter today. One of my favourite dishes my other half cooks. I don't know why, but I always get a bit sad when I near the end of the plate, because I love the taste. It's not the most complicated dish, but one of the best.

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
I feel restless on my not-weight-lifting days. Today was the WotD (Monster Core) and two unrelated runs. Day 4

I finished the last Guild Codex book last night, reading in the dark, until quarter to four. No idea how I managed that, but I just wanted to be done with it. It was a good series, very entertaining and pleasurably fast-paced, but imo, the last book was the weakest one. Too much power creep for my taste, but not too much that it got frustrating. Still a good book. Might read Robin's books some time later, because she got interesting in the last one. For now, I take a short break and read something else instead. But it was a good and wild ride.

Good thing: I got a box of wine delivered today from an old mate who apparently left the country and bought himself into a vineyard in Spain. Some people have the weirdest developments in their lives. The wine's from his first batch of grapes he was responsible for on his own plot. Will see how it tastes. Not all that big on wines, but I'm glad he's doing well. Now I have to find something to send back.

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
Glad you enjoyed the books till the last one, and that you'll try the Robin ones! Then you can let us know if they're worth it... :plot:

I have ordered the druid ones, ooops! I'll let you know how it goes :happy:

ETA: I agree with you that the last one wasn't the strongest. I liked it because it tied up most loose ends, but I have a lot of complaints about the series. Once @Sif_Shepard is done, we can discuss it, I don't want to spoiler things :happy:

Last edited:

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
Alright I gotta move to Europe, people up and moving to Spain to get a vineyard doesn't happen here in my region of America.
Sounds to me like you're just not in a southern enough region of 'MURRCA! Might I recommend North Carolina... I'm not just saying that because I live here and think it's the best state in the whole country, but because even if I said nothing, it IS the best state in the whole country... just sayin....

Last edited:

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
I agree with you that the last one wasn't the strongest. I liked it because it tied up most loose ends, but I have a lot of complaints about the series.
Yall are killin me with these reviews :p lolol jk jk but oof. I'm almost done with book 4. I'm glad you both are planning on reading the two spinoff series I'm interested in- the demon and druid ones.

NancyTree

Valkyrie from The Netherlands
I still haven't figured out how to jump to the last post of my thread direclty. Eh.
I just found out:

Screenshot_20221021_214952.jpg
Blue circle is last post in the thread, and green circle is first new post after the last one you read.

I noticed I missed an elert about new posts in your thread, I haven't found an option to filter the unread alerts (like in your mailbox).

As for books: I have a shelf with 'to read' books, I don't think I will ever come through it. The books are piling up faster than I can read 😅

lofivelcro

Hunter from the sticks
@f1shtacular there are great vineyards in the USA, too! And he didn't get a whole vineyard, just a stake? Share? With the option to make some decisions himself on a decent area to influence the grapes, etc. But, yes, the USA has good vineyards and they can finally export to Europe, too. Have been able for some time yet.

@Anek the druid books would interest me too, but for now, or later, I try the Robin ones. We can make a small discussion round with a private conversation or something when we're all done, if interested, in case someone else still wants to read the books :LOL:

@OJJJEM should I ever move back to the USA, and I probably won't, but anyway, I'll keep North Carolina in mind. What exactly makes it better than South Carolina?

@Sif_Shepard ah, book 4. Starting next book, the plot thickens. If you don't have all of them yet, maybe you want to get prepared.

@NancyTree thanks for letting me know! That makes navigating the Hive much easier. And glad to know I'm not the only one with the book pile problem :oops:

No time to day for a long weight-lifting session, so I just did the WotD (One Day at a Time) and did a run. What happened to the time? I don't know, I've done nothing at all, it seems. Day 5 is in the books.

Good thing: It's late at night, I'm home alone aside from the pets, and I'm not scratching at the walls yet. I normally get crazy with boredom when I'm alone this late, but not today. Growing as a person, yep.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

Sif_Shepard

"ad astra per aspera"
We can make a small discussion round with a private conversation or something when we're all done, if interested, in case someone else still wants to read the books :LOL:
Yes, I was thinking about this too and I love that idea!

@Sif_Shepard ah, book 4. Starting next book, the plot thickens. If you don't have all of them yet, maybe you want to get prepared.
I do! After finishing the first one I bought the remaining 7 all at once :ss:

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 583
@OJJJEM should I ever move back to the USA, and I probably won't, but anyway, I'll keep North Carolina in mind. What exactly makes it better than South Carolina?
Aside from my own amazing presence? Compared to SC, I'd have to say hurricane season is more tolerable, and shorter swampbutt summers with the benefit of a similarly long growing season. Compared to other states... the people are just hands-down better overall... if they're not brimming with "southern hospitality", they're keeping to themselves... though, there's bound to always be a few people no matter where you go hell-bent on spreadin' the misery.