:v: Iron Core Day 4
:v: Re-focus Day 4
:v: Posture Day 4

Workouts for Runes of Northroy:
:v: Blackbird
:v: Lone Warrior
:v: Rogue Warrior
:v: Shapeshifter

:v: Taekwondo training. First training at new club. It wasn't so scary, even for an Aspie, because as soon as I walked in, someone I knew saw me and came on over, and re-introduced me to someone else I'd known (well, I'd really known his wife better because we'd done our first Mastery together), and then there was another bloke whose name I'd forgotten so I actually went up to him and said that, but that was fine because he'd forgotten mine. All up, there were about 5 little kids, 10-12 adults, and about the same number of teens. I stood in the back with a beginner because I was wearing only my dobok pants and t-shirt - not full uniform and belt, which means you can't line up in rank order. I didn't feel right wearing the dobok tunic of my previous club. Started with joint warm-ups, then 20 seconds of exercises - sit-ups, jumping jacks, push-ups, plank, jump-outs to stand, half-squat to jump, tuck jumps - I think there were others but that's all I recall. Then we partnered up and kicked to paddles - ball kick starting at sternum height and slowly increasing, and then outer crescent. 10 each leg then swap holder. I like kicking. I had to hold first and, new club and all, nobody there knew that I could kick pretty high, so the bloke next to me gave a few exclamations. Then punching to the paddles - single sternum, double sternum, single face - 10 each then swap holder. I like punching. :) This is very much a sparring club. The owner used to be the coach of Elite Sparring when I was doing Elite Poomsae. So then we had some sparring bouts. I think they were about 30 seconds, and we had five of them. Two lines of us and we each had to move down to get a new partner (one of my partners was trying to see if I had a belt, probably worried about what I might do. Shouldn't be, not with me and sparring!). One of my partners was a woman who might almost have reached my chest. It was very difficult to spar with her. I had to move backward to kick her and she came forward to kick me so I kept being pushed back whereas normally, you go back to avoid being kicked and forward again to kick. One of the blokes whom I knew was trying to convince me to attend the Monday sparring sessions. I laughed at him but said I might look in next week. Tomorrow is poomsae but it's open mat - more a helping class than an actual teaching class. That's okay, I'll go anyway. See how much Keumgang I can remember! So, all in all, I'm happy with this club. I felt comfortable and that's important, and there are other adults.

And those Darebee folk have done it again. I comment that there should be a 28-day programme for February, and what do we got?! Now I feel as though I have to do that one instead. And I wanted to become a ninja in February! I guess I could become a ninja in March, though... And a stronger one. :LOL:

📖 Finished reading that King book. Really didn't think much of it. @mavie yeah, I got nothing out of that book, except when I was reading it, on a completely different subject, I suddenly realised something that, when I realised it, seemed bleeding obvious so how come I hadn't got it. Nothing to do with what King was saying. I think my mind was just wandering. At least it wandered productively and my time spent with this book wasn't all wasted! :LOL:
⌨ Did some second drafting, probably an hour or so.

Last edited:

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I'm glad you feel comfortable in the new club, it's essential for good practice :)

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Thanks, @NancyTree and @Fremen
Thanks, @CODawn and @Laura Rainbow Dragon

Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 24
:v: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Day 23
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 1 - well, we all knew this was going to have to happen! A 28-day programme on a 28-day month. The ninja-me will just have to wait. Besides, I got to use my bench again, and I love that! :LOL: I found it difficult to stick to the longer rest periods as suggested, but I'm trying to follow @Damer 's advice here, and spent that time today doing leg stuff like the Indoor Cardio with which I got so carried away I did two days!

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Days 5 and 6
:v: Warrior Abs Day 1 (+ Path of the Hammer)
:v: Plank Hero Day 5
:v: Dead Hang Day 15
:v: Iron Core Day 5
:v: Re-focus Day 5
:v: Posture Day 5

Workout for Runes of Northroy:
:v: Shapeshifter

:v: Taekwondo training. Open mat training with a focus on poomsae. Perhaps it's because this is the first poomsae class of the year or maybe there is always a small turn-out. I think only about 6 or 8 people rocked up. I went with the small lady from yesterday and a teen who were working on Pattern 6. I screwed it up a couple of times because there were some things that I had forgotten and because the coach was doing things much slower than I am used to in poomsae. So instead of block-punch which I am used to, it was more block ... punch. Threw me a little and I think that's why I got confused at that point. I have to remember that this isn't really poomsae, it's learning patterns. So we went through the pattern a lot of times and then a few of us were lined up and we learnt three short self-defences. The thing about Taekwondo (I have no idea about other MAs) is that patterns are the only real constants. Techniques, like how to do a side kick etc, are all the same but how you put them together if you want to make up self-defences or complexes or whatever is up to the club. But patterns are the same everywhere around the world. It was nice to learn something new.

⌨ Worked for about two or three hours, finished second-drafting another chapter.

Last edited:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
January Report:

Trying to be nice and organised and track progress. So back at the beginning of the year, I stated a few new goals, and decided that I would keep a track of how I was going on a monthly basis. Here it is. It's so not stellar!

Runs: 16 runs in total; max time for single run (no walking break) = 13 minutes.
Consecutive full push-ups: Oops, forgot all about this and I have absolutely no idea. 10? 15? I'll check this out this month.
Cycling: Nope. Partly because of school holidays during January, and I tried to keep my exercise down a bit to spend more time with the children.
Strength programmes: Power HIIT was fun, but I think I want to go slower.
Upper body work/bokken/arnis: Arms of Steel and Dead Hang were good here. Also some occasional playing on Marcy but not seriously enough really to count. Used the bokken during a workout when it was suggested and that was fun, :) but want to get more serious about using weapons again.
Burpees: Started off with squats, and have not been avoiding workouts that have included burpees (though they've mostly been basic ones), but no real progress on this yet.
Hikes: only one short one of about 2.5k. School holidays + resistant children.
Writing: Going well with the second draft. Finished 13 of 17 chapters, as well as odd bits for the next books.
Reading: Using Bookly to track my books but only started that on 20 January. Finished four books, possibly another couple earlier in the month.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Thanks, @Lady Celerity Lots of work still to go.

Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 25
:v: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Day 24
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 2 - did the exercises very slowly and spent the intervening two minutes doing calf raises, squats, butt kicks, and the like. Still, that rest period add over 30 minutes to the programme! Good thing I can get some other things done in that time. As it was, today was over 1½ hours and normally I'd take just over an hour (not including the running which I'd do earlier).

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 7
:v: Warrior Abs Day 2
:v: Plank Hero Day 6
:v: Dead Hang Day 16
:v: Iron Core Day 6
:v: Re-focus Day 6
:v: Posture Day 6

:v: Orc
:v: Goblin

:v: Taekwondo training. When I rocked up today, the owner's wife had brought in a couple of doboks for me (she hadn't asked my size but had brought a 180cm). I had never bothered to get my black belt uniform at the other club, but the thing about starting at a new club is that you get your first dobok free and she'd brought me a black belt dobok. Part of me wanted to stay at the back wearing just a t-shirt and dobok pants, but now, with a uniform I'll have to be part of the proper belt order again. Oh well. Joint warm-up, then we partnered up, blade of foot to blade of foot, and had to try to touch each other's shoulder without getting touched. You had to do 5 push-ups if the other person got you three times or it was a draw. We had a few rounds of this, with new partners each round. I always did the push-ups even when I made three hits, just to keep my partner company. And it was only 5. Then we get into shorter lines and someone held a paddle for turnng kick. I kept missing the darned paddle because I'm too used to kicking high and expecting the paddle to be there, but with a greater focus on sparring, the paddle here is at sternum height. Must remember to aim for the paddle! Then on to axe kick. Using body shields, we then did increasingly difficult back side kicks, culminating in standing against the shield, jumping and spinning around backwards and kicking the shield. At least, that was what was supposed to happen! All this sparring sort of stuff is something I'm really going to have to work on. Finally, we did free sparring. The bloke I'd known at the other club and with whom I'd caught up again during NaNo, came today, and he called out, as part of an ongoing joke between us, "You're too poomsae!" Afterwards, we had a lovely chat about writing, books on writing, other authors, and one of the other blokes came along and joined the chat, so I got home about 30 minutes later than expected. Ah, I was being social! :)

📖 Read for more than three hours. That's why I haven't got any writing done yet today!

I had one of those moments this morning when Deep and Meaningful Thoughts pop in. DMTs are scary for a simple soul like me! Occasionally, however, I think it's important to have some, even though every time I do, they show me up for being less than I like to think I am. I could use the nice general "we" and mean all of us, or just whoever thinks this applies to them, and suggest that it's also me, but is it really? But I shan't. I shan't be a coward here; I shall use the definite "I" and if this applies to you, feel free to nod and say, "Yep, I know where you're coming from, TN." So, here goes.
I like to think I am fairly honest. (Okay, I lied about the Tooth Fairy, but parents are supposed to!) Sometimes I lie to myself and do it so convincingly, I don't recognise it for a lie. It's not even an excuse - it's the Real Thing. When I was doing Poomsae twice a week, and general Taekwondo twice a week, I said that I didn't want to do too much other stuff because I didn't want to be too tired for Poomsae. If I were tired for Taekwondo, that was acceptable, but I really wanted to be at my best for Poomsae so that was why I did little other training on Poomsae days. Okay, you might say, just as I did, that sounds reasonable. Yes, it does, doesn't it? But it's a lie. Really, it is! And that's what the DMT were telling me this morning.
You see, I wanted to keep some petrol in the tank for later in the day. That's not an unreasonable thing to do, I thought. I was thinking about tonight's training when these DMT intruded, thinking that perhaps I should take today's other training easy. But the DMT got right up into my face and yelled at me.
"TN, are you crazy? Don't you realise that if you work harder, sure, you might be tired today, maybe even still next week, but you'll get over that. You'll get stronger; you'll get fitter. Sure, if you've got something big and specific coming up, take it easy before then, but if you don't really know what you're going to have to do, you don't know how much you need in the tank. Deplete that bloody tank and learn how long it takes to refill! And get so that it refills quickly."
Embarrassing, really. But I can share my embarrassment here with you all. I know at the end of March, I'll be going on a couple of walks with my mother, of 11 and 12k Saturday and Sunday (and they'll be slower than I'd usually walk and that's always more exhausting - like strolling around an art gallery). Right, I won't go for a long hike the day before.
I realised that I need to work a bit harder, not necessarily more because of the whole time issue, but there's no need for me to keep anything back. I'll recover, and probably faster than I think I will. And if I don't recover as fast as I hope, I'll still be getting stronger and next time I will recover faster. If I do the same, I'll stay the same. Perhaps this is why I'm not really seeing any improvement or change.
I've been living with that comfortable lie, saying that I've been doing well, but wondering why I'm not doing better. It's time to drop that lie and do better.
Lies are comfortable to live with. Sometimes I (we!) call them "excuses", even perhaps "reasons", but they're still, deep down, just lies.
Aren't you glad I don't have Deep and Meaningful Thoughts often! ;)
deep space nine facepalm GIF

Last edited:

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
You seem torn between being glad you switched clubs and having to change what you were doing before ;)

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
I'm really enjoying reading about your new club.

Re the DMTs, yes most people lie to themselves most of the time, so it's good that you caught one. And I think that was a good thought as well - it made me wonder, is half of the secret to newbie gains that at the start, we just don't know what's exhausting and what isn't, so we go all-in more often and progress faster? And then we learn to hold back afterwards.
That's the beauty of Beginner's Mind: it's simple curiosity, it doesn't presume to know, and it keeps us in the moment. And away from stale fear / overcautiousness.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
I'm really enjoying reading about your new club.

Re the DMTs, yes most people lie to themselves most of the time, so it's good that you caught one. And I think that was a good thought as well - it made me wonder, is half of the secret to newbie gains that at the start, we just don't know what's exhausting and what isn't, so we go all-in more often and progress faster? And then we learn to hold back afterwards.
That's the beauty of Beginner's Mind: it's simple curiosity, it doesn't presume to know, and it keeps us in the moment. And away from stale fear / overcautiousness.
I think it could be. After we've been training at whatever it is we're doing for a while, we know how many reps before we feel wiped, or how long a run, or [fill in the gaps] and we get to where we automatically stop at that point. Perhaps it's also that Central Governor poking its nose in.
For me, I know that I could work harder. And still not kill myself - I think that's a pretty important point! If I want to improve, I really must (as they say) get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
You seem torn between being glad you switched clubs and having to change what you were doing before ;)
Quite right. It's a bit difficult, but changing a long habit is always difficult. How I'm training now is different from how I've been training for the last 4+ years, and I've never really enjoyed sparring so I'm very much out of my comfort zone. I'll bitch and moan about it for a while, but I know that if I really hate it, I'll stop doing it, find another club that doesn't push me... Hmm. Otherwise, I'll just keep doing it (and probably bitch and moan for a bit more) and eventually I'll improve. :)

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
I understand you perfectly, I still haven't made peace with the last 10 minutes of Muay Thai sparring :LOL:
I love everything else but I don't like free sparring, I understand its meaning, it's useful and training but... it doesn't make friends with my character, if I'll learn (and I'm continuing to try) to get the best out of that too it will be a great result :)

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 26
:v: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Day 25
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 3 - Didn't spend quite so long today. Planks. :) Instead of doing 30sec side plank holds es x 2, just did each side the full minute. Meant I didn't have to bother about the rest period.

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 8
:v: Warrior Abs Day 3 (+ Path of the Hammer)
:v: Plank Hero Day 7
:v: Dead Hang Day 17
:v: Iron Core Day 7
:v: Re-focus Day 7
:v: Posture Day 7

Workout for Runes of Northroy:
:v: Black Panther

I had more workouts planned - wanted to do some playing with my bokken, but just when I had finished the Panther, my mother rang and then it was a whole hour before I hung up, by which time I was quite chilly (it was a cold day today! Only about 17 degrees - and mid-summer!) so I just got changed and that was it. At least I had got done what I "needed" to do. :LOL:

📖 Read way too much today, somewhere around 5 hours, I think! :confused:
⌨ Decided I had to change a part of chapter 8, so I did (quite happy with it too - didn't really think the other bit fit so well) but I was hoping to cut some words, which I did but not as many as I had hoped. Went down from 1,300 words to 1,080 - not a great drop, but there's at least one more draft to go. Speaking of which, yesterday, my writer/Taekwondo friend said that he missed the Discord that we all used during NaNo, and last night, shortly after I got home, there was a message on same Discord, inviting people to come writing on Sunday! Co-incidence, hey?! I said I'd try to make it, and he said he'd be in it too. Is this me kind of being social again?

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 27
:x: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Day 26
:x: Push Pull Legs Day 4

Challenges:
:x: Indoor Cardio Day 9
:x: Warrior Abs Day 4
:x: Plank Hero Day 8
:x: Dead Hang Day 18
:v: Iron Core Day 8
:v: Re-focus Day 8
:v: Posture Day 8

I decided to do some writing today, but I couldn't get a grip on what I wanted and I couldn't think. I started a jigsaw puzzle because getting in that alpha state generally works, and, hey, guess what? a solution appeared and it's rather exciting.
:)

I hope I'm up to doing that 15-minute run tomorrow. If not, I'll have to repeat the week. That's okay, I don't mind. But I'm definitely going to the writing meet-up tomorrow because I've got stuff to get down!

Last edited:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 28 - that's 15 minutes in one go. I started slowly and increased the speed only a little and slowly.
:v: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Days 26 and 27
:v: Push Pull Legs Days 4 and 5

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 9
:v: Warrior Abs Days 4 and 5
:v: Plank Hero Days 8 and 9
:v: Dead Hang Days 18 and 19
:v: Iron Core Day 9
:v: Re-focus Day 9
:v: Posture Day 9

Okay, I'll allow myself one, maybe two days of self-indulgence per year and that's it. Things have to be done and they will be! My lad wanted to go out on his bike. It's a bit small for him now but the next one is too big. He would ride about 200m and then stop, start again, ride a bit, drag his feet, then stop. So on and so forth. I had hoped that I could have a bit of a run while he walked, but all I managed was one of about 300m and another just over 500m because of all his stopping and starting. And it was hot and sunny and we got sweaty and we went maybe 2k. Still, I was glad he was out and moving.

⌨ About three hours all up today. It was a splendid day and I went to the meet-up at the National Library. Four of us, all up, sitting at a couple of small round tables, surrounded by people chatting and eating (we were in a cafe), and scraping their chairs along tiled floors. One of us might say something, there'd be a brief discussion, then we'd be back in our own little worlds for another while. I got a nice bit done but nothing spectacular. I mentioned that I was looking at doing Camp Nano in April, and the other three said that they'd likely do it too. So that's something to look forward to.
20230205_205646.jpg

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
I forgot it was summer over there. Nice pic!
What's up with the bike riding, I don't understand? Is he just uncomfortable, not used to moving, or...?
(I may be extra dim here because I grew up on a bike in a town where everybody rides everywhere and cars are for... shopping and long distance travel I guess?)

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
I forgot it was summer over there. Nice pic!
What's up with the bike riding, I don't understand? Is he just uncomfortable, not used to moving, or...?
(I may be extra dim here because I grew up on a bike in a town where everybody rides everywhere and cars are for... shopping and long distance travel I guess?)
Unfortunately, he doesn't do much of it and is generally fairly inert. Plus, autistic kids have problems with balance. It was a surprise that he actually wanted to go out - normally they are all very resistant to my suggestions of moving anything larger than their thumbs! :LOL:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 29 (it feels like this should be all over tomorrow, but remember, folks, this is a 56-day programme!)
:v: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Day 28
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 6

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 10
:v: Warrior Abs Day 6
:v: Plank Hero Day 10
:v: Dead Hang Day 20
:v: Iron Core Day 10
:v: Re-focus Day 10
:v: Posture Day 10

:v: Werewolf - full burpees!
:v: Maniac - basic burpees!
I was considering doing more but there are only so many burpees in me of a day. I know I said that 2023 would be the Year of the Burpees, but not all in one day!:LOL:

:v: Marcy Lat Pull-downs. 2 x 25 slow.

⌨ Perhaps an hour or so today of writing, and that's chapter 16 done. Only one more chapter to go!
📖 Today's reading was research for my story. Online at that, so not even a real book! :saywhat: An interesting site, though - ScriptTorture (hey, don't judge!), and I've learnt things that, quite frankly, I'd prefer not to know!

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 30
:v: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Day 29
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 7

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 11
:v: Warrior Abs Day 7 (+ Path of the Axe)
:v: Plank Hero Day 11
:v: Dead Hang Day 21
:v: Iron Core Day 11
:v: Re-focus Day 11
:v: Posture Day 11

:v: Bladesong - a new bokken workout that I really wanted to try! It was such fun. :comeon:
:v: Rogue Warrior
:v: Gargoyle

:v: Exercise bike. One hour, 29.6k, pace 2'1". Haven't been on the bike for ages! Really got the sweat running.

:v: Taekwondo training. Got the sweat running again with circuit training -
  1. jump up onto step, jump on step, jump down, full push-up, repeat
  2. plank jump-ins and stand up, repeat
  3. plank hold with taps to hands, elbows and shoulders
  4. squat jumps
  5. punches to body shield
  6. side shuffles with ground touches
Each for a minute. Yep, that got me a bit sweaty. Up against the wall next, for side kick training. Initially, kicking down to knee level, 10 es. Then kicking to mid-section, 8 es. The next one was split up further into belt levels, and the black belts had to do low kick, high kick and mid-section kick all to the count of one, 8 es. Phew! :soaked: In small groups again, one person held body shield and everyone else did push-kick (sorry, I pushed over the holder!) and a variant that was half push kick and half cut kick. Finally, we finished with some board breaking with a cut kick. The boards are different from the ones I'm used to, and when I saw I had to break a black board, I was a little concerned. Until I broke it and found out it was easier than the blue board I normally break! :LOL: Had a much better time tonight. Perhaps it's because I'm a bit more used to it, perhaps it's because I know there's going to be a lot of sparring, perhaps because we didn't do any sparring tonight! I wore my new dobok. The fold lines were very obvious in the pants - perhaps I ought to have ironed them - and I was complimented when I came in tonight fully togged up. Still stood at the back, though. Apparently, you're allowed to if you want to. :yas:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 31 - Oh, this was hard today. Don't know why, but a lot of mental power was necessary to keep going.
:v: Arms of Steel (chair edition) Day 30
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 8

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 12
:v: Warrior Abs Day 8
:v: Plank Hero Day 12
:v: Dead Hang Day 22
:v: Iron Core Day 12
:v: Re-focus Day 12
:v: Posture Day 12

⌨ Finished the final chapter. Not quite happy with the final battle but I'll think on it some more. I'll certainly have to lose some words in the next revision - it's currently about 97,500 words, so I'll have to drop about 10,000. I want to print the whole thing off so I can see it on paper, but my old MFC doesn't work with my new computer (print driver not available :() and the other little printer I have, which does work with my computer, has expensive ink and is out of black. Looks like I'll have to go ink shopping tomorrow and then perhaps new printer shopping...

Tonight the training is Open Mat. When I went last week, I spent much of the time practicing pattern 6 - which I needed to do, at least the first couple of times because I'd forgotten it. Nobody there, though, is doing Keumgang, so I may as well practice it at home and save the petrol. Sometimes I may go on Wednesday nights, but not tonight.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
@Laura Rainbow Dragon @Haleth @JohnStrong @NancyTree :thanku:

Programmes:
:v: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 32
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 9
:v: Unbound Day 1

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 13
:v: Warrior Abs Day 9
:v: Plank Hero Day 13
:v: Dead Hang Day 23
:v: Iron Core Day 13
:v: Re-focus Day 13
:v: Posture Day 13

:v: Walk/Run. Did this outside for a change because it was grey today. It's going to be hot this coming week so I don't think I'll be doing it again for a while. It was drizzling a little which just meant there was no-one else around to see me! But I wore the wrong shoes and did some slipping and sliding before I decided to turn back. It was 23min and 2.94k (though when I turned back, it said I was at 1.5k and I went the exact same way home...). I wonder about the treadmill and my pace, you see. I did a lot more walking today (mostly because it was rough track and slippy, and without something to say, "TN, you've only got 4:32 to go!" it was easier to stop and walk when I was tired of running), but my overall pace was faster! So I'm thinking if the weather is nice for me, I should do more running outside, though I find it harder.
20230209_202233.jpg

The cats just love rubbing against my shoes...

20230209_202300.jpg

:v: Taekwondo training. I'm getting into the swing of this now. We did joint warm-ups, then in two lines, facing a partner and foot-to-foot, we had to try to tap the other person's shoulder while avoiding being tapped. A second drill involved following your partner, one slide back or forward, a switch, so on; third drill put them together where we just moved and tried to tap a shoulder. On to some kicking to paddles - turning kick as far as possible, then as high as possible. That was fun. We finished with, of course, some free sparring. One minute on then move partners and do it again. I think we did about 6 rounds. Finally, we were all cleared off the mat, and three pairs were selected to come out and do a minute's free sparring. I was in the first group, and surprisingly, I didn't mind this. I was rubbish at sparring. No, that's not quite true. I'm not good at it, but I think I'm getting better. Yes. I'm getting better at sparring! :) Happily sweaty after the training. I always feel I've had a good session when I'm sweaty! I was about to leave when T asked if I were going to go writing on the weekend. I was momentarily confused, being in a Taekwondo-frame of mind. Said I'd be up for it.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Thanks, @Fremen @Anek @Froud @NancyTree (and she knows it too!)

Programmes:
:x: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 33
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 10
:v: Unbound Day 2

Challenges:
:v: Indoor Cardio Day 14
:v: Warrior Abs Day 10
:v: Plank Hero Day 14
:v: Dead Hang Day 24
:v: Iron Core Day 14
:v: Re-focus Day 14
:v: Posture Day 14

Workout:
:v: Knee

No running today. I started, got 4 minutes into the first set of 6 minutes, and then I had to stop. A few days ago, my right knee started giving me a bit of gyp. I ignored it. Yesterday, after I'd been out in the morning, it was a bit sore. At training last night, it bothered me a bit so I was careful. This morning, it pretended it was an emu's knee (for those who don't know, emus' knees bend the other way, so when they bend, their feet come forward) and that wasn't the nicest feeling. But, full of denial, I got onto the treadmill and started off. After a little while, I listened to my feet hitting the tread - tip-thump, tip-thump. Basically, a light step with my right and a heavy fall on my left. I was limping while I was running. Then there came something much less pleasant, so I stopped and have been mildly limping all day. Better work on those knee-strengthening exercises! If I can't do the running on Sunday, I'll have to restart this week on Monday. Optimistically assuming that my knee will be fine by then! :) Knees...
Tv Land Pain GIF by nobodies.

⌨ Printed out my whole novel today. Not double-spaced or anything, just single but at least only one-sided. It's in a folder so I can write notes and comments on the blank side. That's a thick wodge of paper, though! I'll go through it this time with a pencil, make notes, and then get it back onto the computer. It looks very different on paper.

I went to bed last night as usual (okay, really this morning because it was nearly 1), and woke up this morning old! Why so? Because my second-born has just become a teenager!

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Optimistically assuming that my knee will be fine by then! :) Knees...
Oi! Look after that thing! I hope it heals up quickly!
⌨ Printed out my whole novel today. Not double-spaced or anything, just single but at least only one-sided. It's in a folder so I can write notes and comments on the blank side. That's a thick wodge of paper, though! I'll go through it this time with a pencil, make notes, and then get it back onto the computer. It looks very different on paper.
:approve:
I went to bed last night as usual (okay, really this morning because it was nearly 1), and woke up this morning old! Why so? Because my second-born has just become a teenager!
:LOL:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Programmes:
:x: 8 Weeks to 5K Day 33
:v: Push Pull Legs Day 11
:v: Unbound Day 3

Challenges:
:x: Indoor Cardio Day 15
:v: Warrior Abs Day 11
:v: Plank Hero Day 15
:v: Dead Hang Day 25
:v: Iron Core Day 15
:v: Re-focus Day 15
:v: Posture Day 15

Really going to have to dig out my physio notes and see what he recommended for my knee. I've been thinking about ignoring it but then I'm thinking about how I'll feel if it really side-lines me...

New teenager had a small party today - invited her two friends. Left baking the cake too late, so I had to finish it off and ice it, but it was only just out of the oven and one friend had to leave in about 15 minutes. The butter-cream icing kind of separated and slipped but mostly clung to the top of the cake, and we all ate warm birthday cake. It tasted good - but I had nothing to do with that (except for the icing) because she did all the baking. I have the cleaning up to do... I went up and down the back stairs over 30 times while she was baking - could I check this, test that, what did I think about...? Phew! That was a knee workout!

⌨ Got some ideas that had to be written down for the fourth book. That was fun.
📖 Started reading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. In Bookly, I had to say which page I'd stopped at. It was page 6 and I'd been reading for over 20 minutes! Slow reader? No, the book started with an Introduction at page xi and finished at page xxxi. But Bookly seems to think every book just starts on page 1.