Quest for Muscle: The Return of the Pump

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@PetiteSheWolf I understand, as The Thing is my favourite movie of all time. While Carpenter's filmography is full of stinkers (the Fog is just okay IMO), there are a lot of winners too - some of my favourites include Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York, and of course, Halloween. I haven't yet watched Big Trouble in Little China, but that one has a very loyal following, and it seems pretty entertaining (also, since I'm Chinese, I'm probably obligated to watch it as it's a big riff on Chinese movies).

Highly recommend In the Mouth of Madness - I liked it a lot because even though it wasn't super scary, the meta twists were fantastic, and the mood was quite eerie.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@PetiteSheWolf Yeah! I've forgotten that he directed Halloween too. Like that other time I forgot William Friedkin directed The Exorcist lol. ITMOM is highly recommended!

Hey again Bees. Today was my second Push day of the week, where I emphasized more Paused Bench.

Paused Bench: 120 x 6, 122.5 x 5. I was not expecting this at all. A minor PR! I will thus continue with the approach of splitting my benching between fast and paused days.
Paused Incline Bench: 95 x 5. Also a minor PR. Pretty tough, though.
Rope Pushdown: 11 x 6.
Hammer Curls: 18 x 20. Given short shrift today.

I'm watching the city darken as night time moves in. It's 19:08, and there's still a soft veneer of light.

I've been experiencing a lot of family-related anxiety lately... Dad got released from prison and internment a few weeks ago, and it's good to be able to talk to him again, it's strangely troubling. He's back to his old tricks, planning elaborate schemes for making money and finding work, which are kind of what got him into prison in the first place (it's a long story; I have a theory that he has Bipolar, and that it's where I got it from). He's also been rubbing my mom, sisters and his other relatives the wrong way. I heard he's been losing his temper regularly too; so conversations with him have always felt fraught.

But as mom said, we can't take on his troubles, so I'm making the choice to live my life free of worry, and not concern myself.

With that in mind, may you be free from your worries today, Bees.

Playing: The same two games. Hades 2 received quite a balancing update, and as a result, it's no longer as easy to cheese the bosses; correspondingly, some weapons (that I've found useless) have been bumped up in lethality. Eh.

Selaco is still good fun; it's like an indie version of FEAR, but surprisingly ambitious. And the combat is tough!

I am intrigued by Destiny 2's The Final Shape, but considering that I've never bought any of the DLC, I'd probably get buried under lore and crap.

Really should get back into Diablo 4, but I'm not so sure.

Watching: No full movies or reviews today. Watched a bit of Seal Team at the gym, and will continue with Frogman, though I'm hoping that that one overcomes its indie found footage limitations to deliver solid scares. But I'm not that hopeful.

Listening to: Hugo Largo - Second Skin. I know I've posted Hugo Largo before, perhaps on old Darebee. This one is... uh, experimental indie art-pop, I think? I even find it hard to characterize the emotional mood, except to say it's raw. It's cathartic, but also vulnerable and dreamy.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @CODawn, @JCU, @MadamMeow, @graoumia, @TopNotch, @Fremen. Ultimately, the family stuff is just a sideshow. It's more important for me to take care of myself and ensure my healthy functioning; only then can I turn my attention to my family.

This was my only (!) weight training exercise today. I woke up late and was in a bit of a hurry, so here it is:

Squats: 90 x 5. This was my first round of squats in a long time.

I did something to my butt. No, not in a dirty way! :shake:

Almost immediately after doing my squats, I could feel something like a cramp, or a tear in my glute muscles. It made it quite painful to squat down below a certain depth; I tried to do some other exercises like front squats, but no dice. I do feel a little better, so I'll give it a few days to recover and go back at it again.

Saw this neat little exhibit under Times Square. If I'm not mistaken, the characters in front translate to "Extremely Ordinary Lives".

20240608_164235.jpg

Went to meet mom for hot pot; today's flavour was spicy beef soup. Absolutely delicious, though it left my tummy feeling a bit unsteady. If you look closely, you can see how I mashed up six or seven different ingredients in my sauce bowl. Hell yeah! Gimme all the yummy flavours!

20240608_170629.jpg

Have a great weekend, Bees!

Playing: Still making my way through Selaco. A very intriguing experience I'll be happy to review. Still making the odd run through Hades 2, and winning more than I'm losing at this point. Haven't played anything else...

Watching: Looking forward to House of the Dragon Season 2 next week! Was excited for The Watchers in cinema, but it turns out that it's rubbish. Still making my way through Blood of Zeus Season 2. Not a fan, which is a shame, because I loved the first season's confident take on the Greek pantheon. Almost half of this season has been spent on doling out exposition and treading water, and I wonder if the only reason they'd do that is... if they were planning for Season 3. Bah.

Listening to: Flash Arnold - City Limits. Plugging in some classic synthwave. Slow and measured, but expressive and colourful.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@aku-chan I would actually like to see more of the show, contrary to my dour musings. I really liked the first season! The only problem is that it took four years to produce a second season (I checked for updates constantly), and we got a second season that feels like it's just setup for another. I've read that the makers of the show are planning for five (!) seasons, so I don't know whether or not Heron's story will eventually be completed.

Hey again Bees.

Man, it's hot out. Not extremely hot like in many places in Asia, but just hot enough, and combined with draining humidity. Did myself a long walk (22000 steps today), and had a most fruitful Chest workout.

Bench Press: 122.5 x 5, 125 x 5, 127.5 x 6, 130 x 3. I was not expecting to get six reps with 127.5, which is a minor PR for me. On some days my form is fluid and the weights move smoothly. 130 was noticeably heavy, but that's not surprising, consider that I had three working sets beforehand.
Incline Press: 100 x 5. Zzzz... still difficult, and a bit frustrating.
Preacher Curls: 32.5 x 6. Not heavy today, but got a great burn.
Dual Dumbbell Curls (ie curl two dumbbells at the same time): 14 x 8. Will do more of these, as I like the way they feel. Not a fan of barbell curls, either.

Today is actually the day of the Dragon Boat Festival, and a holiday here. Lots of people out on the streets. Did I go out to Stanley and watch the dragon boating? Nah... I'd rather watch it on the news than be bothered with the heat.

Settling for a quiet dinner with mom, and overall, glad to have a good day.

Hope your Monday is going well, Bees!

Playing: Same two games. I am impressed with Selaco's length and challenging gameplay. This was clearly a labour of love, and I don't object to shelling out 18 USD for such a polished build. If I had to guess, I'm not long from completing the early access build, but what a build.

In Hades 2 news, after a winning streak, I've gotten my tush kicked by the final boss several teams. Need to really get down to brass tacks and win again!

Watching: Watched a bit more of Blood of Zeus at the gym. While I appreciate the show's brand of worldbuilding, I'm eager for stuff to happen. One character was given an important task two episodes ago, and we haven't gotten back to him.

I've found a new flick to watch: 1999's The Thirteenth Floor, which is reality-bending and twist-laden. It's been 25 years since its release: how have I never gotten around to watching it?! I even recall it being rivalled by The Matrix back in the day, but as we all know, it lost.

Listening to: Hardy - The Mockingbird and The Crow. Sometimes I stumble across absolute finds on Youtube! I've been playing this one all throughout the day, as it's really catchy. The first half of the song has the country stylings that don't surprise, while the second clearly lands in the realm of southern rock, or even nu metal. The riffs are absolutely great, and the melody soars. Apropos of the video itself, the animation (courtesy of stop-motion great Lee Hardcastle) has a great concept and fits the song perfectly.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you @Fremen, @TopNotch, @MadamMeow, and @JCU!

@TopNotch "Minor" is just something that I made up. Because my strength comes and goes in waves, I'm making PRs that I've made before, so I usually refer to those as "minor". A PR that I've never done before would be "major". Of course, since this is all in my head, you're right in that a PR is still a PR, and represents growth.

@aku-chan Castlevania, which is also a Netflix show, is noticeably faster in its production times. Either way, let's hope that we don't have to wait a long time for another BoZ season, and that it's saved from the chopping block!

Hey again, Bees! I kind of took it easy for Back day today, and didn't do any deadlifts. My legs still feel like toothpicks. Anyway, without further ado:

T-Bar Rows: 85 x 6.
Meadows Rows: 40 x 6. Kind of rethinking these, as the bar keeps slipping from my grasp; either I use less weight, or use another exercise.
Low Rows: 65 x 6.
Reverse Lat Pulldowns: 60 x 6.
Pull ups: Top set of five.

So, very little lower body stuff. That's okay, I'll find another time to do the deadlifts.

Still hot and humid today (and will continue like this until November *sigh*) as I went about my usual urban commando sojourns.

Keep it up Bees! I hope your week is well.

Playing: Finished the early access build of Selaco (is it SELL-uh-ko, or sell-AH-ko?), so here's a review of the game thus far.

Dawn has just awoken from her medical recuperation to the sound of explosions and gunfire. As a security officer on the space station Selaco, it's her responsibility to intervene, and halt the slaughter of the station's civilians by the aggressive and enigmatic invaders. Having made preparations for contingencies like thus, Dawn sets out to arm herself and single-handedly stop the takeover.

A brief check at its Steam page shows that Selaco is almost universally lauded in reviews, which I believe it wholeheartedly deserves. I've been following the game for years, and even from a short demo, it was clear that we had something special on our hands. In a nutshell, Selaco is an FPS that utilizes the ancient Doom engine to simulate gunplay that you might see in FEAR. So despite landing squarely in retro-styled boomer-shooter territory, this game is quite ambitious. The gunplay is the most obvious part - the game has been designed around intense battles with aggressive and intelligent foes. I don't know how the devs programmed the AI so well, but they've manage to push the envelope and go farther than most other shooters. As such, no gunfight ever goes the same way twice!

However, it's not wall-to-wall action - there are intense bursts of shootouts followed by relative calm, in which you get to explore the massive levels and search for secrets. If there's a drawback, I'd have to say the story is very bare-bones at the moment. Apparently, the protagonist is completely voiced, and very few of her lines made it into this build. It will be interesting to see how the story and levels evolve as the game goes on; even now, it's a meaty and satisfying gameplay experience.

Therefore, I tentatively award Selaco four grenades out of five.

Played s'more Hades 2 as well. Got my revenge on the final boss by beating them two times in succession. Take that, you puke!

Watching: Uhh, not much late night cinema. I end up gaming until late. Watched more of Blood of Zeus at the gym (finally! The gears are turning), and will try to watch the Thirteenth Floor tonight. Try.

At least I've been making up for it in watching gaming trailers. Dragon Age: Veilguard has gameplay footage dropping tonight. Curiously, this trailer has garnered lots of negative attention, but what's the fuss? So it's more stylized than before. What difference does it make?

Listening to: Selaco Soundtrack (SatsumaAudio) - Main Theme. I've given Selaco lots of love, so here's an auditory sample. It wouldn't be out of place in a game from 1996, amazingly.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @CODawn!
Hail, Bees! I've braved the muggy weather to hit the gym once more. Today was another Push day.

Paused Bench Press: 122.5 x 5, 125 x 5. Yes, everything's in order here.
Weighted Dips: 60 x 5. Holy shit. I had it in my head that I was going to try this one out, but I never thought I'd actually succeed with five reps. Having a single plate strapped to your body is difficult enough, but three? The heaviness of the weight quickly breaks down your body, so it's the kind of thing that has to be done quickly. It goes without saying that this is a major PR, as I've literally never done five reps with this amount of weight. I forgot to film it, too. Well, next time...
Preacher Curls: 35 x 6. Moving on up.
Dual Dumbbell Curls: 12 x 10, which is okay, as this is not a heavy weight exercise. All about the feel.

Sweat-inducing weather with plenty of humidity. Ugh, I miss winter. Four months until spooky season!

Also, I had a panic-inducing flash of lower back pain yesterday while out and about - this is particularly ironic since I hadn't done deadlifts the day before, just assorted lower body exercises. It seems to have abated, but it was pretty scary for a moment. Will have to watch my form.

We're almost at Friday, Bees!

Playing: I've taken a bit of a break from Selaco to try some other games that have been gathering dust in my library. These are: Cult of the Lamb, The Ascent, and Hand of Fate 2. Also Everspace. Hades 2 has kept its rightful place on my hard drive, though I've sadly gotten to the point where most of the dialogue is exhausted.

Watching: Sloooowwwlly making my way through the Thirteenth Floor. Blood of Zeus at the gym. Most looking forward to House of the Dragon later this week.

Interestingly, a long awaited and (extremely) long in the making indie Adventure film called The Primevals (by stop motion legend David Allen) is available, so I'll probably shift my attention to that film and resume The Thirteenth Floor another time.

Also, animal "abuse".

Listening to: Gary Numan - My Breathing. In Numan I trust! Love the Middle-Eastern (?) touches and the backing vocals. I do find the lyrics a bit underwhelming, as they seem to be Numan railing against stardom and the music industry once again. Still, it's such a strong song.

"Assassination of the voice of God
I don't know if I can do it
I've found the problem and the problem's you
I'm here to pick up the pieces
"

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Ah the doggo... :D I was a tad scared when seeing the title of the video and prepared to skip (animal mistreatment, even if the videos or testimonies are to "alert" it exists, makes me sick to my core), then realised you were not the sort to publish true animal abuse videos and this must be a joke ;)

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Ah the doggo... :D I was a tad scared when seeing the title of the video and prepared to skip (animal mistreatment, even if the videos or testimonies are to "alert" it exists, makes me sick to my core), then realised you were not the sort to publish true animal abuse videos and this must be a joke ;)
I definitely did not mean to shock or offend you, and you are correct that doing such things is not in my nature. Please accept an apology :sorry:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @CODawn, @aku-chan, @Obsinosterous, @MadamMeow, @JCU, @TopNotch, and @Fremen. I'll try to get video footage of it next time to see if I'm doing it right, and for the likes har har.

Today was Leg day, which I'm trying to resurrect as a consistent thing now.

Squats: 95 x 5. Not bad, not bad.
Front Squats: 40 x 5. Not good!
Split Dumbbell Squats: 14 x 6. I really didn't like these. Constantly felt like I was going to fall over. I think I'll just stick with doing the barbell version, for balance reasons.

Plus 26,000 steps. No records today, I'll try again next time.

Boy, am I pooped. Squat workout, followed by walking around Taikoo Shing for a bit, then my lessons, and then the commute back home. And the heat didn't help, of course.

I think my PC is haunted. It keeps making strange tapping/shuffling noises at inconsistent intervals. Maybe a gecko got trapped in there, or... -gasp- a roach!

Tomorrow we're having a tea buffet! Yum yum.

You made it to the weekend, Bees! Have a great weekend.

Playing: Uhh... haven't really gotten started with that pile of games on my hard drive. Still playing Hades 2 - beat the boss for the second route, again.

Watching: Nearly done with Blood of Zeus. Notably underwhelming. I started The Primevals last night, and I think I'll stay with it until the credits roll. It has a great deal of cheesy charm that I gravitate to.

Listening to: Shim Hyeon-jeong, Lee Ji-soo and Choi Seung-hyun (Oldboy Soundtrack) - Jailhouse Rock. This little ditty, which sounds like the score to a heist, has been dormant in the back of my mind for awhile. There's a certain other song from the film that's living in my head, but I'll get to it in due time.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hello again, Bees!

Some days you ain't got it. I headed to the gym after church for a hopefully fruitful Push workout, but it didn't go as I'd hoped.

Bench Press: 130 x 5. Just barely made it, but the final rep was a terrible struggle.
Dips: 60 x 4. To say nothing of these! Couldn't hit the five reps that I was hoping for, like last time.
Dual Hammer Curls: 14 x 10. About the only exercise that went correctly today.

So, a short and disastrous workout. I'm tired, but okay. I'll continue with 130 on the bench, so I can smooth out the reps and get it more easily next time.

Have a Happy Father's Day, Bees!

Playing: A new Steam FPS about mobsters, taking place in a pulpy comic book recreation of the '40s? (Don't) Fuggetaboutit! That's the only gangster cliche I have patience for, which is clearly lost on the gleefully hard-boiled Fallen Aces. I will admit that its presentation and voicework are sublime, and the large levels that allow for secrets and different approaches intriguing. Unfortunately, the Early Access build is only five levels, but I'm sure they're all tops, so to speak.

Uninstalled Hades 2 (Nooooo) as I want to give Cult of the Lamb another go. Still haven't played any of that huge backlog of games on my hard drive.

Watching: Finished the second season of Blood of Zeus. Felt like it would never end, so here's a review.

The death of the mighty king of the gods, Zeus, has rocked the Grecian pantheon. Amidst the machinations of the furtive Hades, who seeks to bind the defeated Seraphim to his will, Zeus' bastard son, the hero Heron, seeks to prove himself worthy of his godly kin. (I can't believe I wrote all that without rolling my eyes).

I was very excited for this second season, after the first was such a strong showing, and an entertaining, action-filled exploration of Greek mythology. Arriving right after the pandemic started, I waited for a second season to arrive. And waited... and waited... and waited... until I finally got wind of it, watched it, and was disappointed. I didn't realize it at first, but my expectations clashed with the intentions of the showrunners, meaning that there was no way I would be satisfied.

Anyway.

There are two central flaws to this season: a - very little actually transpires in terms of moving the plot forwards, and b - there's so much exposition that the script trips over itself, and the more meaningful things that are said are lost in the retelling of myths and lore. There's nothing actually wrong with the characters, the script, and with the action. When firing on all cylinders (a set piece with a bronze titan is especially exciting), the show is formidable and regal. But it's obvious that this season is set-up for a third one, and that so many of the episodes are spent moving pieces into place, rather than having anything notable happen. And because of this - despite all the stentorian declarations and awesome artwork - this season disappoints. Here's hoping that the third (presuming the show is renewed), is better.

Thanks to all its flaws, I give Blood of Zeus S2 two pomegranate seeds out of five.

HotD drops tomorrow! Woohoo. Will also watch some of The Primevals for late night cinema.

Listening to: Listened to Tubeway Army's debut album of the same name, so here's another rare album review from me.

Gary Numan's first taste of success was with the raw, yet compelling and accessible album he made as part of the band "Tubeway Army". Their eponymous debut is almost completely made up of conventional guitar-based rock (and let's face it - it's not actually punk) that could almost be related to New Wave, as it dropped in '78, just before the movement really took off.

That said, this is where the futuristic nightmares of androids and aliens that plagued Numan really came to the fore, and neatly combine with the group's not quite pop, but still driving and catchy rock 'n roll. Check out the melodic nihilism of "Every Day I Die", "Listen to the Sirens", and "My Shadow in Vain" (the later two are the real stars of this album). In this early outing, there's only trace uses of the synthesizers that Numan would become known for. The quirky, jerky rhythms and nasally vocals fit well with the themes of isolation, paranoia and melancholy.

All said, this is an album that reveals the potential of Numan's synth-pop soundcraft, while still being more grounded in rock 'n roll. Though Numan would change his sound significantly in later years - the succeeding album, Replicas, is a fully-formed Numan outing - Tubeway Army is still very listenable and essential for Numan fans like myself.

I give it four well-deserved sci-fi guitar riffs out of five.

And here's a song from the album.

Tubeway Army - Listen to the Sirens.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Oxenfree! Hey Bees, it's Ox time with another Pull workout.

Deadlifts: 162.5 x 5. I'd taken a break from these last week, so I'm glad to see that I've still got some strength left. That said, these were tough max-effort sets, so I need to keep things slow and steady from now on.
Barbell Rows: 90 x 6. Felt pretty good.
One Arm Pulldown: 32.5 x 6. I decided to try using the pulldown machine one arm at a time, for the sake of experimenting.
Low Rows: 35 x 6, I think.
Cable Row: 40 x 6.

A lot of bodybuilding exercises today, which is good for a change.

So hot... Man, it is warm out, and it's set to get even warmer later this week. I have a fan aimed at me on high setting in my room, and I still feel muggy and warm. Grr.

I SAW A CATTO! Cat was perched on the front step of an apartment complex, next to the fruit stall. Maybe it works there.

Despite not being receptive to the Outstretched Finger Cat Friendliness test, kitty was still open to head pats and chin scritches.

20240617_141712_40.jpg
Kitties kitties kitties, I love kitties, they are furry and fuzzy and friend-shaped and fill me with joy :wand:

Keep chugging away, Bees! We're going to make it!

Playing: Got started on Hand of Fate 2. An interesting and well-made game with style to spare, even if the actual action gameplay leaves something to be desired.

Reinstalled Hades 2. Could not do without it, but the bigger reason was that when you've tasted perfection, everything else is superfluous. Such was the case with Lamb of the Cult... I couldn't get into the gameplay again, because it seemed so primitive compared to Hades 2's refined play. So off my hard drive it went.

As for Fallen Aces, I've been felling wiseguys left and right and sending goons into The Big Sleep. Like I said before, a shame that there's so little of it right now, due to early access.

Watching: Still continuing with The Primevals, albeit a tad bit slowly. As Blood of Zeus S2 has run its course, I've resumed watching Seal Team at the gym, while I do my cardio.

Oh, and watched the first episode of House of the Dragon S2! What did I think...

It's a joy to return to Westeros once more. The acting is particularly on point, and it's interesting to see a previously loathsome character granted some depth; this is to say nothing of one-scene wonder Tom Taylor as the severe, lordly Cregan Stark. There is a controversial change from the violent end of this episode - a moment that was awaited for a long time by book readers, who no doubt expected to see the exact portrayal of that scene writ large on television. I'm not that bothered by it, as I felt like the way they portrayed it was more... realistic, maybe? It made sense given the bumbling, but brutal nature of the characters.

So all told, looking forward to more episodes.

Listening to: Trevor Something - Can You Feel It. I ran out of ideas on what to choose, so it's back to sythpop stalwart Trevor Something, whose ever-prolific and compelling catalogue always demands a listen. Here's a classic from his early days.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@MadamMeow No problem! I'm always on the lookout for cats. And dogs. But mostly cats!

@PetiteSheWolf I read the behind-the-scenes motivations for why they changed it, and they track. The way it was written in Fire and Blood was almost cartoonishly vile, and the changes add a surprising nuance to the scene. I still found it quite hard to watch, however.

I am one tired Ox today. I did not really succeed in my Chest workout for today, but it's all part of the plan - I'm moving on from a 5rm, into a 3rm, with more sets.

Paused Bench Press: 125 x 5, 130 x 3. Ugh. Totally kicked my butt today. Will try for 132.5 next week, after abandoning the five rep scheme.
Paused Incline Press: 100 x 3.
Preacher EZ-Bar Curls: 35 x 5.
Dual Dumbbell Curls: 14 x 10. I like the feel of these, as they require more self control and form than with alternating curls.
+21000 steps.

Had yummy chicken congee for dinner, but the piping hot porridge made me break out in a sweat. Weather's still hot and humid.

Tomorrow, more lessons. I'll try to squeeze in a leg workout if I can.

See you tomorrow, Bees!

Watching: Watched a bit of Seal Team at the gym... still chugging along. May give up The Primevals for now.

Edit: On a whim, after listening to the Pod Mortem podcast, watched the Night of the Living Dead (the 1968 version, see below for why), which, funnily enough, I've never watched completely. So here's a review!

Barbara and her brother Johnny have just made the drive out to rural Pennsylvania to pay their respects to their father's grave. Johnny's teasing and banter gives way to horror when a stranger inexplicably attacks Barbara and, after grappling with her brother, murders him. Barbara flees, and seeks shelter in a farmhouse out in an open field (this will be important...). She is joined by the thoughtful, practical Ben, who reveals that there has been an epidemic of flesh-eaters throughout the state; he marshals their resources and works to fortify the house, while others join them. Bickering ensues as Ben and Cooper, who has an injured daughter, argue on whether or not to stay in the house or retreat to the cellar. And meanwhile, as night falls, the dead gather outside the farmhouse and close in on their refuge...

So this is where it all begins. Let me get the adverse out of the way: this was a roughly made indie film with limited resources, and it shows. Some of the acting is histrionic (the Transatlantic accents really date the film), the score is absolutely terrible, and the zombies (who hadn't really been cinematically explored at this point) are unconvincing, and curiously clever (they smash out headlights and use tools).

Interestingly, NotLD is not the very first movie about zombies, but it is where all our favourite plot devices and traits from the genre originate. It is, simply, an amazing film, even taking into mind its numerous mishaps. Obviously, this is a landmark movie that wrote the book for many zombie and horror movies which would be made henceforth. Today's horror hounds will find the film dated and unsophisticated (one wonders why...).

Ultimately, even when you take away the film's reputation, what remains is a powerful film that doesn't pull its punches. It is still a horrific and violent film. It is easy to sympathize with the characters as they're more and more hemmed in by the walking dead, and the casting of Duane Jones (a black man) is simply groundbreaking. The gore is hard-to-stomach by our standards - by those of the 60s, it must've been gag-inducing. So, while dated, it still holds up!

For its iconic status, I'm proud to award Night of the Living Dead five keys to the gas pump out of five.

"They're coming to get you, Barbara!"

Listening to: I've started perusing episodes of the Pod Mortem Podcast - a family affair in which the three commentators discuss scary movies (what else would I listen to). Their style is interesting: they choose to narrate the films scene by scene and discuss behind the scenes minutiae, peppered with lots of laughter and outrage. Most other podcasters discuss movies generally, rather than go to such painstaking detail. Here's their take on the seminal Night of the Living Dead, which I'm interested in revisiting.

For today's song of choice, here's a throwback to 1996, with the theme to Crusader: No Regret. I haven't played the Crusader games in a long time, but they have killer music.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@CODawn Kitties kitties kitties...

Hey Bees! I was supposed to workout on Friday, but gave in to laziness.

Skipped the gym Saturday, instead eating out at a Thai restaurant for dinner (forgot to take pictures, but trust me, it was yummy).

Came back today for a Push workout.

Bench Press: 130 x 4. Ugh, this was crap. Couldn't get the five reps, as I didn't want to risk dropping the weight, so I made the judgement call to end the set early. Next sets were with 132.5, which I did three reps with. Will use this as my 3rm moving forward, as I think it's about time I changed tack.
Close Grip Press: 105 x 5.
Preacher Curls: 17.5 x 5. Not bad!
Dual Hammer Curls: 16 x 6. Something to work on.
+23000ish steps. My feet hurt...

It was not unbearably hot today (Hong Kong has one of the more sufferable tropical climates, but not by much), but I think it was about 33 degrees. Certainly felt tiring.

They've changed around the displays at Times Square! Looks it's advertising for Inside Out 2.

20240620_165847.jpg

Thankfully, the shrine to that ungodly savage Ian has been removed. Past time, says I.

I'm watching the city darken as the sun sets. Never gets old.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend, Bees!

Playing: A lot of Nightmare Reaper, which story and plot-wise is a very undemanding game. A little bit of Hades 2 (I want more, dammit!), and even less of Hand of Fate 2. May visit Hrot, which is one of the best Warsaw-punk (I just made that up, but I feel like it should be a massive genre) shooters out there - not that there are many (Atom Heart is the most prominent).

Watching: Eh, haven't been watching much. Some Seal Team at the gym. First up is finishing Svetlonos, the surreal fantasy film - I do like what I've watched so far, and it was obviously made with skill, and care.

I hear tell that a trailer for Robert Eggers' Nosferatu is due tomorrow, so looking forward to that. Also to House of the Dragon's second episode.

Listening to: Volt Age - Golden Wave. Some mellow synth to watch the day end.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey again Bees. Still sweating, still working out.

Today was a Pull day.

Deadlifts: 165 x 5, 167.5 x 5. All part of the plan. Grip was giving way despite using the best deadlift bar. Oh well, at least I got the reps.
Barbell Rows: 90 x 5.
Meadows Rows: 35 x 5. Tried it using less weight this time.
Narrow Grip Rows: 50 x 5.
Behind the Neck Pulldowns: 57.5 x 5.
+22000 or so steps.

It is still quite hot. I've lived in this city for awhile and I never got used to it - the humidity just saps one of energy.

I'm practically penniless this month, so I'm going to apply for some new work. I absolutely hate job-hunting, but I want enough money to afford creature comforts. For instance, my gym shorts have holes in them, and I haven't bought new pairs because I've continually been saving money. So I'll do my best in the coming weeks, and see how that goes.

Start the week strong, Bees!

Playing: A whole lot of not much. Some Nightmare Reaper, a little bit of Hades 2. I'm revisiting Hrot, which is punishing, but still fun for all that.

Watching: Watching a bit more of House of the Dragon. Always enjoyable. I just love spending a little more time in Westeros. We even heard mention of a character thought to be cut, and got a sword fight (to say anymore would be spoilers)! (*cough* *cough* Oh, and Seal Team too)

So I finished watching Svetlonos. It was a short watch, and past the halfway point, I could not look away. Here's my synopsis, and a review.

The days pass, the moon and the sun turn, and a cycle progresses under the reign of a figure in crimson. Suddenly, the days stop progressing, and the red-robed monarch fades. It is at this point that a soldier or warrior in Grecian armour makes its way to the labyrinth at which the monarch resides, with the intention of reaching the top. Their progress will be challenged (tested?) by statues of female figures which manipulate the clockwork structure of the labyrinth to menace the warrior. Will the warrior reach their goal? Or succumb to the machinations of the statues?

This is a stop-motion animation which is firmly in the fantasy genre, though it dips into horror at certain points. Apparently, it was created by Vaclav Svankmajer, son of animation icon Jan Svankmajer; it's clear that talent and detail has been passed, or perhaps handed down from father to son. This is an absolutely brilliant animation - the usual praise we dole out to stop motion works is doubled here because the animation is so intricate and filled with detail. Without saying a word, a story is conveyed, and even though there are some interesting ambiguities, the finer points are made clear by the end. I wouldn't say this is a horror film per se. It's dark and surreal, and the mood is appropriately somber and severe, but apart from a somewhat bloody battle, there's not much in the way of gore. That said, it is an ominous work, and the grim tone is carried throughout but the eerie nature of the characters and the environment.

I give it four valves out of five.

Here's a link to the short on youtube if you're interested, and not afraid of creepy imagery:

Listening to: Jed Kurzel - The Battle. I was looking for an appropriate House of the Dragon song, but I confess, I don't find the compositions very memorable (sorry, Ramin Djawadi). So instead, here's a song from the 2015 adaptation of Macbeth. The song has an eerie, off-kilter feel to it that channels the horrors of war.

Last edited: