Stronger everyday

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
Weighing in at 175.3 lbs, so 2.3 lost since late July. Such a nice bonus when what I'm doing right now doesn't feel hard. Bought a pair of jeans at the thrift store for $7 because I'm swimming in most of my summer shorts now. I was sick of belts so I bought some suspenders when summer started. I love them, use them every day and haven't looked back since.

Shoulder rehab, walking program, and Leg Day Every Day challenge continues 💪

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
Physical:
Legs are sore from some lunge step-ups and side lunges. Feel pretty good in my body overall. Getting just enough sleep, rising earlier than I plan. I threw together a 30-day challenge to practice sitting cross-legged based on this video, we'll see how it goes!

Who needs chairs?

Mental:
Quite happy earlier this week after successfully completing a work project. Now idling between content and restless. There's a bit of a lull so I'm trying to make the most of it. I've concocted a method for encouraging more focus and it's going well. Habituation is settling in.

I'm experimenting with more daily tracking of exercise and habit formation (e.g. email marketing, juggling 3 balls). Some days (like today) it can feel a bit cumbersome (8 sheets to maintain), yet it feels way better than pissing away some unexpected free time. I like having daily missions right now overall.

In about 3 weeks I'll complete my program, challenge, and shoulder rehab program. I may decide to return to HIIT workouts, I'm not sure yet. I'm going to really miss the walks and the reading it enabled.

Perhaps I should be rating my wellbeing daily so I have some data to look back on when I'm trying to decide what form of physical activity works best for me.
Have any of you ever rated your own happiness daily? Did you find it useful?

👋:)

When you leave your printouts within reach of your children, lol

Last edited:

JCU

Scout from WNY
Pronouns: She/Her
The closest to rating my happiness daily is acknowledging what has made me happy during the day. I write down the biggest and if it's not something that is making me happy at the time of writing, I'm reminded of it and that makes me happy again!

Regarding sitting cross-legged: bravo for sitting on the ground! My ankles never let me do that 😅 If you find that happening to you, try sitting on the couch! I've worked my way up to an hour before I really need to move!

NancyTree

Valkyrie from The Netherlands
Perhaps I should be rating my wellbeing daily so I have some data to look back on when I'm trying to decide what form of physical activity works best for me.
Have any of you ever rated your own happiness daily? Did you find it useful?
I use the Pixels Tracker app: you rate your day with a smiley/color, and it turns into a pixel art, and you can get some graphs out of it.

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
:v: Leg Day Every Day completed

Physical: I consider my shoulder healed. I've still got about 2 weeks worth of rehab exercises I've committed to. I think the math works out to about 70 hours of rehab exercises (2 sessions daily) in the last 2.5 months. Can't wait for it to be over.

But I'm a little confused about my shoulder. A few weeks ago I learned that several of my relatives have struggled with "frozen shoulder", whose symptoms include stiffness, pain, and reduced range of motion. So did I injure it? Or is this some hereditary shoulder curse expressing itself? Well, my shoulder no longer hurts, I know that.

Lost another 3 pounds.

Mental: Quite scatter-brained, but I think I've figured out the source and what to do. All my programs/challenges are great guard rails, but in the future I will limit my own custom challenges to 15 days (or less) and extend if I'm liking it.

My reading dropped off after losing sunlight in the mornings, would read as I followed my walking program. Too bad. Audio books are an easy solution but I get so sick of someone's voice getting piped into my eardrums. Not as peaceful as paper.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Congrats!

For me, I can't listen to audio books. Characters have different voices in my head as I read their words and that just can't happen if someone else is reading to me. Also, it's so much harder to stop and think about something that I've just read if I have to pause someone. My e-reader and I have become practically inseparable. :LOL:

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
:v: Completed 60 Days of Walking 🚶‍♂️

Physical: My walking endurance has notably improved. Excited to return to HIIT workouts! I've landed on the idea of finishing my last physical challenge (floor-sitting) before adding anything new, and I'm committed to it. It's fun shopping for the next fitness mission but I don't want to overdo it and turn movement snacks into chores. Safeguard the fun! 😃

Mental: Journaling a bit every day. Keeping aware of my focus, be it bad or good. Chanced upon The Shallows(2010) by Nicholas Carr in a local book bungalow. It's about how the internet is affecting our brains, just the kind of book I'm looking for. It's great. I didn't know clock innovation was spearheaded by Christian monks:
"it was the bells in the church tower that first sounded the hours by which people would come to parcel out their lives."

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Congrats
:worried: