Quest for Muscle: The Return of the Pump

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@JCU That would've been really cool! She's such an experienced groomer that it would be interesting to hear her stories.

@PetiteSheWolf I certainly hope you get the chance. There's lots of yummy food to be had in Hong Kong, though the Chinese/Guangdong food is definitely our specialty (to no one's surprise). Regarding Hausu, the cat's eyes always flash green when something bad happens, so kitty is obviously behind the whole plot!

Greetings, Bees! I'm back with another workout. Today was Back day, in which I returned to doing deadlifts.

Deadlift: 150 x 5. These felt pretty good. It's good to see that taking a break hasn't affected them greatly. Slow and steady. Feel good enough to add another 5 kg.
Barbell Rows: 100 x 6. Pretty strong today! Not bad.
Machine One Arm Rows: 60 x 5.
Neutral Grip Cable Rows: 55 x 6.
Behind the Neck Pulldowns: 65 x 5.

Weather was pleasant - well, as pleasant as you can get in the summertime. Some sun, but the heat wasn't so bad. We're going to be getting more rain this week, so I've got my trusty umbrella ready.

Spotted some handsome Shibes:

20240812_165649.jpg

During today's long walk of 22000 steps, I tuckered out and completely lost energy. Ate a pear, and recovered enough verve to make it home. Still feeling pretty tired, though. Looks like it's going to be one of those early nights

Have a great Monday, everyone!

Playing: Hrm. Mostly been playing Dead Cells, but as usual, the game is kicking my butt, and when a game does that, I tend to lose interest (with rare exceptions, like Jets N Guns and Elden Ring). Also playing some Bloodstained, but like Dead Cells, am stuck.

I uninstalled Mass Effect: Andromeda, but I may be giving it short shrift. I'll try to get a little farther tonight.

Watching: And it's back to Seal Team. Still impressed at how they manage to pull off their action sequences. But more interestingly, there's also a segment with a therapist that feels surprisingly true to life. I've been to many therapists in my life, and the one in the show had the cadence and questioning tone, as well as the ability to consolidate information down pat.

On a lighter tone, started watching a found-footage horror called Dagr... I think? It starts off with two obnoxious social media influencers, so not a very good, nor compelling start, but I'm a patient man.

Edit: On mom's recommendation, watched a Hong Kong film called Chicken and Duck Talk. Will write a review tomorrow.

Also tempted to watch this. It would be the first time since my childhood; film has occupied a chunk of my brain all these years, so seeing it again would be a real trip!

Listening to: Pegase - Try to Be You. The next song from my big recent find of synth songs. The vocals and synths work perfectly in tandem!

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hello again Bees! I trust that your week is going well. Today was a controlled Push workout and long walk that really took it out of me. Anyway...

Paused Bench Press: 132.5 x 5. A fresh new PR. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make 135, but if not, I still made some good progress this cycle.
Spoto Press: 115 x 5.
Paused Incline Bench: 102.5 x 4. This was murder! I was aiming for five reps, but couldn't do it.
EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 40 x 6(!).
Goblet Curls: 24 x 6.

We're going to have some rainy days ahead of us, though I avoided becoming a Rain Ox today.

Alien: Romulus comes out in two days! To go or not to go, that is the question.

Have a great Tuesday, Bees!

Playing: Mostly bleh. Some Dead Cells and Bloodstained, but was too tired to play much of anything else (I only played for half an hour last night, which is rare for me).

Interestingly, Nier Automata is a good podcast game; the game's sound effects and systems don't detract from whatever I'm listening to. I think it's an amazing game, so I'll try some more of it.

Watch: Watching my way through Little Nemo. I don't think it'll take too long, as the film is quite watchable. No Seal Team today..

Watched Chicken and Duck Talk, a Hong Kong comedy.

In the late 80's, Mr. Hui is the proprietor of a Hong Kong restaurant that specializes in selling roast duck. He's a miserly, hard-nosed boss who fiercely squeezes his employees, and is set in his ways. His restaurant follows suit, by being unhygienic, gruff in service, and poorly-staffed. This leads to him being disliked by all around him, but there's no denying that they have a following. However, his long-standing status as a restauranteur is threatened by the new opening of a rival restaurant - Danny's - that sells fried chicken in a fast food style. Going up against a commercial juggernaut such as them, Hui and his employees struggle to survive.

So, caveat emptor: this is the first time I've reviewed a comedy. I don't watch many of them, and I may have missed the beats, but anyway.

This film is foremost a beautiful showcase of Hong Kong comedy, and I actually liked it more than Stephen Chow's offerings. What does this mean? If you're unused to Hong Kong comedy, expect harsh, rapid-fire dialogue with plenty of wordplay that combines with euqally rapid and deft physical comedy. The sight gags and running jokes are fast and furious, and the staff is really given a chance to let their comedic chops show. I understand that the main actor portraying Hui is a titan in Hong Kong comedy. There is one extended gag involving rats being covered up by bowls (!) that needs to be seen to be believed.

If there is a "problem", it's that there's not enough drama, I found - it comes in a moving part near the end where the crew realizes they've reached the end of the line. I found that most of the characters are more archetypes than real characters, but I suppose them's the breaks with a large ensemble comedy.

On another level, I love how this film showcases Hong Kong in the 80s. Some of the styles and architecture persist to this day (mom and I buy roast duck from places not unlike Hui's restaurant). A lot of the Cantonese is very colloquial (is there any other kind?), and without subtitles, I would've struggled. The title is wordplay - it's a reference to a Cantonese expression meaning "miscommunication", as well as a reference to the conflict between Hui's restaraunt and Danny's chicken.

As a comedic gem, I therefore award Chicken and Duck talk three and a half roast ducks out of five.

If you're interested in taking a look, here's the whole movie on youtube!

Listening to: Keiichi Okabe et al - The Wretched Automatons. Taking a break from synth tonight. Tonight's selection is from the original Nier soundtrack. This is a haunting composition with suitably mechanical percussion. Love this one!

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @Fremen and @JCU and @TopNotch.

Yo, Bees! In the midst of another rainy day, I come to bring another Push workout (this is the third one this week[!]).

Competition Bench: (Hold bar at the top for 2 seconds, bring down to chest, hold for 2 seconds, then back up) 135 x 1. About what I expected. Next week, I may try to do more, to at least match my competition bench last year.
Paused Incline Bench: 110 x 1.
EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 40 x 7 (!).
Dual Hammer Curls: 16 x 10.

Lots of gains today! The bar felt heavy (I'm guessing this is because I've benched three times this week), but the lifts went off without a hitch. Next week, I'll really max out.

Some Rain Ox action today, as I made my way through the rain. It's going to be a very rainy week, so I'll have to stay high and dry.

Tea Buffet on Saturday! Om nom nom. Not sure if I should watch Alien: Romulus. More excited for Longlegs.

Keep going, Bees! It's almost Friday.

Playing: Uninstalled Mass Effect: Andromeda. Just was not feeling it. Played some Zero Sievert afterward (even though there's precious little to play atm).

Reinstalled a bevy of games like MGSV and Dead Rising 2 to play in the meantime.

Watching: And it's back to Seal Team. Haven't picked out a new late night cinema movie yet, though I have plenty to choose from. I'm kind of curious about Frailty, which I keep skipping over, and it sounds real interesting. We'll see...

So I finished watching Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland, which is a 1989 anime/animated film based on the comic by Winsor Mccray. Here's a review!

Little Nemo is a fun-loving child whose vivid dreams allow him to travel places. After seeing a circus come to his town during the day, that night, he receives an invitation to the mystical and wondrous Slumberland. There, Nemo meets the equally fun-loving and benevolent King Morpheus, who announces his plans to name Nemo as Prince to the kingdom. However, Nemo finds himself entangled with the mischievous character Flip, and these capers will result in him unleashing a long dormant evil that threatens his new home. Can Nemo venture to the darkness of Nightmare Land, and save all he holds dear?

This one has lived rent free in my mind for many years, as I'd watched it as a young lad. Locked away memories came back to life again as I got to compare them against the film itself. The film was obviously made with care. I learned that this was a project from a Japanese animation studio (Tokyo Movie Shinsha), and was stuck in development hell that wasn't as severe as say, the Cobbler and the Thief. The visuals are painstakingly detailed. Slumberland is a joy to behold; it's an absolute treat to see this wonderland of colour and spectacle. The animations are suitably fluid; standouts including a song involving royal etiquette and, well, pretty much everything the rascally Flip does.

So, the film is good. But it's not great. Unlike, say, any Disney movie, there's a distinct lack of characterization and depth, and a ton of plotholes. Exempli gratia, why was Nemo chosen to be the Prince? Why did the king lock away an evil and not dispose of it? Nemo is simply the chosen one, just because. We also know next to nothing about him or anyone else. They're simply archetypes. The film is split into two halves - the first being Nemo's introduction to Slumberland, and the second a journey into the heart of darkness, so to speak. The latter is much weaker than the former, and the final "battle" anticlimactic and rushed, I felt. So I thought it was splendid, but lacking in real emotional stakes.

Overall, it's a gorgeous adventure with a forgettable plot. For being wowed again and returned to my childhood memories, I feel it's fair to award Little Nemo blah blah three magic sceptres out of five.

Listening to: Futurecop! - NASA. I'm still rummaging through my recent list of synth picks, and couldn't settle on a song. So I chose an old classic instead! This is a bouncy and upbeat number by Futurecop! that has stood the test of time.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey again Bees. It's the end of the week, and I've worked out a total of four times. Today was Leg day.

Squats: 115 x 6. What's this? A succulent PR?? I have no idea how I pulled this off - it's a five kg improvement over last week! It seems like the gods of lifting have blessed me with some lower body gains lately.
Front Squats: 67.5 x 5. Same with these.
Lying Leg Curls: 50 x 6. Sadly, no PRs here.
Back Extensions: Sets of 12 reps.

No Rain Ox action today. It's been overcast the entire day, but the rains have yet to come. Maybe tonight?

Tea Buffet tomorrow! Yummy!

Have a great weekend, Bees! You've earned it.

Playing: Some Zero Sievert, and little else. I tried to start Dead Rising 2 several times, but to no avail. I'm not interested in futzing around for a fix right now, so off my hard drive it goes. Instead, I reinstalled Dead Rising 1, and will give it a shake tonight. Also need to remember to try MGSV.

In other news, Dragon Age: Veilguard (I kinda liked "Dread Wolf" a little more, but it's clear that the story has moved on from that) is coming out at the end of spooky season! Yay!

Watching: Apart from Seal Team, not much. Must rummage through my collection to find another horror...

Listening to: Gryff - Losing Touch. Another recent synth acquisition. This one has strong romantic energy, for those long walks on the beach, romantic swims, and dates with Jennifer Connelly (yeah, I wish).

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @Fremen and @JCU! Your enthusiasm and support helps me hit more PRs!

Which is exactly what I did today. I sensed that I'm peaking in strength, so today, I did one last Push workout before I max out next week (I know I said I would do it this week).

Bench Press: 135 x 5, 140 x 3. A PR for this cycle! I was not expecting this at all. I simply remember feeling very antsy before the workout, and itching to do better than before. Surprisingly, managed pretty well. Even threw in some 140 reps for good measure (which I haven't been able to accomplish in awhile).
Larsen Press: 115 x 6.
Weighted Dips: 65 x 5. Beat my previous record by two reps! Another PR!
EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 40 x 5. Felt pretty tough today.
Dual Dumbbell Curls: 16 x 10.

It's been awhile since I've gained in strength, so I hope it lasts. I've received news of another bench press competition in October, so I'm fixing to max next week, and then start another cycle in September. We'll see how it goes!

I thought I'd post some of the yummy noms from Saturday. They're from a restaurant called Playt. This was the tea buffet (ie started at 1530), so I wonder how much more decadent the lunch/dinner buffet would be.

20240817_150851.jpg

20240817_150903.jpg

Hope you're enjoying your Sunday, Bees!

Playing: Mostly STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Surprise, surprise, a hit from the past is back and kicking! When I got tired of Zero Sievert, I guess I went back to the real FPS deal. With lots of mods, of course. Another surprise, it makes for great podcast gaming. Was all I played last night. Forgot about MGSV completely, but may play a little tonight.

Watching: Some Seal Team at the gym. Haven't watched anything late at night; as usual, too sleepy. Not sure what to watch...

Also, it's been a long time since I watched this scene from The Miracle Worker (I haven't seen the movie yet). This is the absolutely violent, believable, and exhausting battle of wills between Hellen Keller and her teacher Annie Sullivan. As a kid, they made us read the book (that the movie is based on), but it's something else entirely to see it put into film, add dimension to Hellen Keller's life, and given immortality. Had I seen this scene as a kid, I definitely would've taken more notice.

Listening to: Sellorekt/LA Dreams - Just Over the Horizon. Another selection from my gargantuan synthwave collection. This is a pleasant number with a suitably positive, bouncy tone to it.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @CODawn, @aku-chan, @CODawn, @JCU and @MadamMeow!

@MadamMeow The food at Playt is splendid! It's like the best hits of HK cuisine, and Asian/Western fusion.

Hello there, Bees! Another rainy and surprisingly cool day (hope this lasts until our HK winter in November), and I went to the gym for my Pull day.

Deadlifts: 155 x 5, 160 x 5, 165 x 5. Felt pretty good! I felt confident after the first set, so I added more weight. It worked out quite well, and I'll try 170 next week.
T-Bar Rows: 90 x 5.
Meadows Rows: 41.25 x 5. My right hand can't grip as much as my left, unfortunately.
Neutral Grip Pullups: Max set of five. Didn't do too well with these, so I'll try to aim for six reps next time.

And another week begins. We're visiting my dad (who has moved from Canada back to Macau) at the end of August. And it's my birthday in several weeks - in a few years I'll be 40. Yikes.

Well, this old man's going to game a little and job search before hitting the hay.

Have a great start to your week, Bees!

DKvvyLJUIAAzusZ.jpg:large

Playing: Of course, more STALKER: CoP. Razzed that DA: Veilguard's system requirements aren't that high, unlike some other games I could name (*cough* *cough* Dragon's Dogma 2 *cough*). Forgot to play MGSV. Again.

Watching: More Seal Team at the gym. Said it before, and I'm saying it again, the action scenes are above par, even if certain sets are overused. Still haven't decided on a late night cinema movie. May choose Bio Zombie, which is a Hong Kong comedy-horror from the 90s.

Listening to: Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet. This one popped up in my workout playlist today. Porcupine Tree have always skillfully melded catchy melodies, virtuoso musicianship, and mind-bending song structures; this song is no exception. The lyrics (which I find uncomfortable relatable) are too incisive and insightful to be considered satire.

"Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find a person inside
"

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey everyone. Today I was a real Rain Ox, and largely managed to stay high and dry (those rain puddles are killer). I can hear the patter of the rain as it falls against our apartment walls.

Today was my final controlled Push day before I max out.

Paused Bench Press: 132.5 x 5, 135 x 4. Not bad, not bad. Not a PR, but that's okay. Slow and steady wins the race.
Spoto Press: 120 x 5. Ugh. My triceps!
Paused Incline Bench: 102.5 x 6.
EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 37.5 x 6. Wasn't really feeling these today.

I did not want to go to the gym today. Some days are like this, and the urge to stay home was stronger than it usually is. Every fibre in me was telling me to skip the gym, but I'm glad I went (I usually am). That said, tomorrow I will take a break and let my body recharge a bit.

Add oil, Bees!

Playing: Still more STALKER: CoP. I'm missing some of the secrets and sights (I think poking around the anomalies is largely a waste of time), but I'm playing it as a shooter, first and foremost, so getting my pew-pew fix every time I play is most important for me. Really should devote s'more time to Nier, or MGSV.

Podcast: This episode covers the troubled production behind Big Trouble in Little China. I was listening to this episode with a huge smile on my face while walking my steps, as it caters to that tiny part of me that's proud to be Chinese. I'm so happy that Big Trouble in Little China eventually became a cult classic, and I'm very pleased to learn how progressive it is (in representing Asians). My ethnicity demands that I watch it in full, which I will eventually get around to doing. Eventually!

Watching: Seal Team, once more. It's an episode set in Afghanistan amidst talk of making "friends" with the Taliban. Considering what's happened since, this aged like curdled milk. Tonight's movie is... well, watch this space.

Listening to: Makeup and Vanity Set - Remember. Another find I stumbled on. The vocals are excellent and dignified (provided by Steel Panther, lead singer of The Protomen), the pace driving, and the tone is gorgeous.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
'lo, Bees! I'm back with another fresh, piping hot workout. Today I tested my 1rm for Push day. I know, I said I would properly max out next week, but I got impatient. How did it go?

Competition Bench: 150 x 1. I was not expecting this much! A PR for this cycle. Started from 140 and worked my way up in increments of 2.5, and 150 went up reasonably well (I dinged the rack, however, which would disqualify the lift in competition). May try 152.5 next week, but I'm uncertain about that.
Paused Shoulder Press: 80 x 2. Zzz...
EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 40 x 8 (!).
Dual Hammer Curls: 16 x 10.

So a very fruitful day for my lifting. Feels good to be getting stronger again (though my pound for pound strength has suffered, given that I weigh more. Oh well).

On Saturday, mom and I are going to an Indian restaurant for dinner! Om nom nom.

Keep going, Bees! It's almost the weekend.

Playing: It's been a mix of some STALKER: CoP, and MGSV. I'm not terribly fond of the latter, wondering how I had the patience to make it through most of the game stealthily. I'm not a stealth gamer at heart, even though I've taken pains to go the stealth route in many games (like Thief and NOLF).

So... the trailer for Borderlands 4 (and a bunch of other games) just dropped. But like most teaser trailers, it shows nothing substantial. Bah. I should be excited, but only a monkey's uncle wouldn't know that they were working on BL4. Give me the gameplay!

Watching: More of Seal Team. For late night cinema, I settled on Oddity, which is a recently released horror that's received critical acclaim.

Listening to: The Midnight - Sunset (Michael Cassette remix). I didn't like the original of this song terribly much, but some producer has worked their magic and turned a run of the mill synth ballad into a tougher (relatively) song.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thanks a bunch, @JCU!

Happy weekend, Bees! I decided to hit the gym for a Legs day workout (which ended up being truncated and mostly a squat workout).

Squats: 120 x 6, 130 x 2, 140 x 1. I did not expect this either. Haven't used this much weight in awhile, and it feels good to be able to do it again. Will try for 125 x 5 next time, which I may have been able to do in this workout.
Front Squats: 70 x 5.
Back Extensions: Sets of 10.

My all-time PRs are Squats of 125 x 10, which I'm not able to accomplish, but give it time.

Had yummy Indian at a restaurant in Causeway Bay with mom. It was quite good, if pricey. The weather has gone back to being hot and unpleasant, but c'est la vie.

Tomorrow I may be back in the gym for a max-effort workout, but we'll see.

Enjoy your Saturday, Bees!

Playing: There's STALKER: CoP as always. I tried Alpha Protocol again, which is a game I haven't played since I had it on Xbox 360. It's clear that with all the voice acting and plot points that this is a game that demands full attention, and considering that I'm more into podcast-friendly games these days, off my hard drive it went. Maybe I'll revisit it again later. Also, The Callisto Protocol was released for free (!) on the Epic Games store, so I'm at this very moment downloading it to give it a go.

Watch: Watched a dash of Seal Team at the gym, but more importantly, I jumped the gun and decided to watch Longlegs before it came out in cinema here. Here is my eagerly penned review!

In the 90s, the FBI is flummoxed by a series of brutal murders of families that have occurred over the span of 30 years. The murders are marked with peculiar messages left at each scene. A novice agent, Lee Harker, displaying unusual aptitude (possibly psychic) is assigned to the case. As time goes by, the terrifying Longlegs, responsible for the murders, seems to take a personal interest in Harker, who sets out to decipher Longlegs' messages and prevent further killings.

This one is essentially indebted to The Silence of the Lambs and the X-Files, albeit with a strong injection of supernatural horror. Even though it's within the structure of a crime procedural, this film is a mood-horror piece. Expect a strong impression of dread, with long, lingering shots, and a score that evokes menace.

Some of the acting will be divisive, and I would say it's arguably the weakest part of the film. That's not a slight against it; it's more the fact that everything surrounding the film is amazing, and that it's rather light on character (to me, anyway). Maika Monroe is the socially anemic Harker, who may or may not have some sort of disorder (the film doesn't make this clear). I also find it unfortunate that she has markedly less character than her obvious inspirations. Nic Cage makes a predictably gonzo transformation as the titular villain, whose strange voice and mannerisms will be hit or miss for most folks.

I've read a lot of criticism levelled at this film for being "boring", or too slow in pace. I didn't find this to be the case. Perkins' previous films (eg The Blackcoat's daughter) were sluggish to a fault, but I found this one balanced the surrealism-adjacent mood and the more solid scares. Watching this one is like being immersed in a bad dream in which you can't escape. The realism of the real world (is that redundant?) feels like another dimension entirely. Is it outright scary? I'd say it's more chilling and creepy, with a few jump scares thrown in for good measure. That said, even with its cold and detached style, it lingers with you.

For its sinister scares and unsettling feel, I give the nightmarish Longlegs four cryptic ciphers out of five.

Here's a trailer for the film.

Listening to: I was going to select a T-Rex song (as the band's music is prominently featured in Longlegs), but I dislike T-Rex, so I thought I'd choose something more apropos and satanic. So tonight's song is Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath.

You can argue over Hendrix's Experience, T-Rex, Led Zep, and Queen's inclusion in the Heavy Metal pantheon, but there's no denying Sabbath is the first metal band. Their eponymous opener to their first album combines dark, bone-chilling evil with hard rock crunch that outdid their peers.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Greetings once more! It is I, the Ox of Gentle disposition. Today was a Push workout, in which I maxed out on my bench press. How did it go?

Bench Press: 140 x 1, 145-157.5 x 1. Huge gains! So to explain, today I found my touch and go one rep max. While warming up, the weights felt heavy, but I've learned that isn't an accurate indicator of strength. My tentative goal was 155, which I wasn't sure I'd be able to make. It felt pretty good, so I went up to 157.5! Was not expecting that; it's a weight that I haven't hit in years. Hopefully in another month/cycle, I can hit 160, and 155 at the bench press compo in October.
Weighted Dips: 70 x 3. These were simply agony. Could not hit four reps, so I settled for a few sets of limited reps.
Rope Pushdowns: 10 x 8. Zzzz...
Reverse Curls: 12 x 10. Note to self: do this with the cambered bar next time.

The weather is back to being muggy and hot, which is no fun. As mentioned above, we'll be in Macau for one night over the weekend, so I'd better get my camera ready!

Hope you're having a great Sunday, Bees!

Playing: I didn't play anything last night! Mostly stayed up looking at dank memes. The Callisto Protocol has been fully downloaded, so I'm interested in giving it a shot tonight. And of course, I'll try to play through more missions in STALKER. May reinstall Hades 2.

Watching: A bit more of Seal Team. I'm closing in on the end of the third season. Again, they got the biggest bang for their buck with that show. With Longlegs watched, I'm going to make a start on Oddity, which is even more critically acclaimed. Here's a trailer!

Listening to: John Carpenter - Snake's theme (both of them!). It is honestly hard to imagine many songs manlier than this one. While Escape from LA's predecessor was a tense, almost frightening military spy adventure, this one was just wacky. Still, I was charmed by its blend of post-apocalyptic hedonism and western adventure.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@PetiteSheWolf No problem, horror bee! I liked the film a lot.
Thanks a bunch @JCU, @Fremen, @MadamMeow and @CODawn! I hope you're not tired of seeing me hit PRs, because I did it again today.

What's up, Bees? Today was another max effort day (I know, most people only max out one variation of a lift, but I'm weird). So whereas on Sunday I did a touch and go lift, today I strove to follow competition rules and find my 1rm for that specific lift (the two are quite different in difficulty).

Competition Bench Press: 155 x 1. Started at 145, then went up in increments of 2.5. Again, this took me by surprise. I've never done it before at the gym, or at a competition, so this is a lifetime PR. I would've been happy with 152.5, but I got a little more. One thing I take away from all this bench press malarkey is that it's all about the setup, and confidence levels. If you're underneath the bar and your preparations went well, then that is everything.
Paused Incline Bench: 105 x 8. This might be another PR, but I'm too lazy to check.
EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 35 x 5. Bleh.
Dual Hammer Curls: 12 x 10.

Feel like I need to give the bicep training a rest, as my bis feel overtrained.

So that's all the maxing done for this cycle; I have five weeks left until my compo, so I'll run another strength cycle, and see where that takes me (hopefully to more gains!).

The weather was absolutely torrid today. Just... really hot and humid, as it usually is. Thankfully, by the time I left the gym, there was plenty of shade. But still, too muggy!

Have a great week, Bees!

Playing: Mmm... some STALKER: CoP. Played a bit more of Hades 2 after reinstalling it, which is relaxing. Still waiting on that content update. I *still* haven't played Callisto Protocol... it's sitting on my hard drive hogging 100 GB of precious space, so I really should get on that. Reinstalled Empty Shell, which I've kind of missed.

Watching: I finished Seal Team S03, but don't really feel like giving a full review, so I'll simply say it's substantial action television with soapy dramatic nonsense and contrived character arcs. Some of the episodes, like Siege Protocol, were simply excellent, while the finale was anticlimactic, at best. So it gets four tactical NODS out of five for me.

Started watching Big Trouble in Little China, and liking it alot! Some of it appeals to me as a Chinese person - there's what feels like a respectful portrayal of Chinese culture (eg unsubtitled Cantonese), and it's pretty kinetic. Apart from an intro that I've heard was ill-conceived (it was insisted on by the studio), flick is propulsive and filled with energy. A different side of John Carpenter and Kurt Russell, and a very charming watch.

Here's a fight scene early on. Just love the cheesy, energetic fun of it.

Listening to: Final Fight 2 (Yasuaki Fujita et al) - Carve a Wooden Dragon. For some reason, BTiLC always puts me in mind of this song from Final Fight 2. Or is it the other way around? The two are inextricably linked in my mind. Anyway, this wouldn't have been out of place in an 80s crime-thriller about the triads, or the yakuza.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thanks again @JCU, @Fremen, @CODawn and @aku-chan! Your support is awesome!

Welp, after hitting PRs with my bench and squat, it turns out that my Back is lagging. Today was a Pull day, in which I started doing deadlifts with 170.

Deadlifts: 170 x 6, 172.5 x 5. A painful slog, and a reminder of why I'm not really fond of deadlifts. On the second set, my grip gave way, which is a reminder that I need more grip training.
Barbell Rows: 100 x 5. Damn, why do these always feel like crap? I should just stick to landmine rows. I think part of the problem is that these aggravate my biceps soreness/strain.
Machine One Armed Rows: 60 x 5. Okay, just not great.
Narrow Grip Rows: 60 x 6.
Behind the Neck Machine Pulldowns: 60 x 6. Zzz...

So it wasn't as amazing as my Push workouts, but that's okay. There will be more workouts ahead.

Tomorrow I'm taking a break, and will be back on Friday.

May your week be great, Bees!

Playing: Shockingly, only STALKER: CoP last night. Still haven't played Callisto Protocol!

Watching: No TV series (but I'll start with Seal Team Season 4 soon). Still watching Big Trouble in Little China, and it's still lots of fun.

Listening to: Harpa Dei - Psalm 90/91 (Chant version). So a little known fact about me is that I love Gregorian chant. One of the few parts of me that hews closely to my Catholic upbringing. There's something so calm and soothing about it.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hey everyone. I took a break yesterday, and had too many sweet treats, but I was back on track and itching for a workout today.

Today was Leg day, so how did I do?

Squats: 125 x 6, 130 x 5. I set out to do 125 x 5, and nailed it, with an extra rep to boot. Then I went up to 130, and nailed that too. These are both PRs, but impressively enough, 130 x 5 is a lifetime PR! I have no idea what's in the water these days, but it's fueling me to reach new heights. Amazing.
Front Squats: 75 x 5. Pretty good, but ho hum compared to the glorious squats.
Leg Extensions: 65 x 12.
Back Extensions: Sets of 10 reps.
+31,900 steps, which is an all-time PR as well!

I had a surplus of energy today. Usually the heat gets to me and my shoes feel misshapen, but I felt like I was on fire.

Tomorrow we're headed to Macau to see dad.

Enjoy your weekend, Bees! You've earned it.

Playing: Eh, not much. A little bit of the Hadley's Run, which is a RL twin-stick shooter, but it didn't stick with me.

Watching: No SEAL team, which is really out of character for me. I've been watching BTiLC in little bits and pieces at the gym, and absolutely loving it.

It's not related to BTiLC, but this is the training/initial meeting scene from Kill Bill pt 2 between The Bride and the cruel and masterful Pai-Mei. I naturally love it because I can understand a big chunk of Pai Mei's dialogue, and know enough to know that the subtitles do not always match what he's saying. Anyway, it's a great homage to Hong Kong kung fu flicks.

Listening to: Carl Anderson (as Judas Iscariot) - Heaven on Their Minds. So this is from the film adaptation to Jesus Christ Superstar, which I saw a long time ago as a kid. I've taken it upon myself to listen to the whole album (I accomplished most of this goal today), and have many good things to say, but I'll save that for a future review. Suffice it to say that this early number from the film is an excellent taste of what's to come, and one of the film/musical's best numbers. It's aided by Anderson's amazing vocal range and passion.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Thank you so much @TopNotch, @NancyTree, @CODawn, @Fremen, @JCU, and @graoumia. I have no idea why I'm getting so many PRs these days, but I'm going to take advantage of this momentum for as long as I can.

I am totally beat, Bees. Got back from Macau yesterday, and was itching to hit the gym again today for a Push workout.

Bench Press: 130 x 5, 132.5 x 5. These are the beginning lifts of this cycle, so nothing stellar. I still have a bit of time...
Weighted Dips: 70 x 4. I might've pulled a neck muscle doing these.
Incline Barbell Press: 100 x 6. Solid.
EZ Bar Preacher Curls: 35 x 6.
Dual Hammer Curls: 14 x 10.

So we saw dad again. This was the first time in close to five years; the pandemic occurred, and then dad was later arrested. He was released earlier this year, and made his way back to Macau.

My dad is a bold, outspoken, and often irascible figure. He's also generous, kind, and loving to his family. He still loses his temper fairly easily, and he's a braggart with tons of war stories from his time in prison: he described it as being exactly like the movies, so it's miraculous that he made it out okay. He's frailer than before, and claims to have PTSD, which I don't doubt. It was ultimately good to see him.

Totally beat. Combination of the weather, my pulled muscle, and a long walk to cap it off. Going to try to take it easy tonight.

Start your week strong, Bees!

Playing: I didn't play anything last night! Not sure... ah, some STALKER: CoP, as I steadily inch towards the ending. Maybe a bit of Empty Shell, and if I'm feeling brave enough, online for some Killing Floor 2.

Youtube Amusement: This fellow's skills with cards is something to behold. I like it even more than the gussied up, glossy routines you oft-times see in sleight of hand.

Watching: Started Seal Team season 4. They've definitely come out swinging in their efforts to shake up the cast; they even took the doggie out of action! BTiLC is an absolute blast, and it promises to be even more enjoyable towards the end.

Listening to: Scar Symmetry - The Illusionist. How about some melodeath? I like this group's balance between buzzsaw riffs with catchy melodies.

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
Hello again Bees. Sore, but still alive and kicking! Today was a fluffy Back workout. Why fluffy? Because my neck is still a touch strained, and I wanted to avoid major movements.

Dual Dumbbell Rows: 34 x 6. Zzz...
Machine One Arm Rows: 62.5 x 6.
Neutral Grip Rows: 60 x 6.
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 60 x 6.
Neutral Grip Chins: Max set of five reps.

All the equipment I wanted to use today was being occupied by tons of other people! My back has been lagging behind my pecs and my legs, so I'll return to the deadlifts next week.

Keep on chugging, Bees!

Playing: I didn't play anything last night! I plan to game a little more tonight, if I don't feel so tired as last night (unlikely)!

Comedy: The rescue of Barsik the cat, which took place in Russia awhile back. If comic incompetence were concentrated in one person...

Watching: I finished Big Trouble in Little China! I'd been meaning to watch it for years, and only summoned up the verve recently. So here's a review.

Boisterous trucker Jack Burton and his close friend Wang hustle to make ends meet in 80's San Francisco. However, while waiting to receive Wang's long distance girlfriend - Miao Yin - at the airport, their lives are upended by her abduction, which leades to them being entangled in a triad war. It transpires that this struggle masks the mystical presence of the evil sorcerer, Lo Pan, and his desire for eternal life. Can Burton and Wang rescue Miao Yin and defeat the evil sorcerer?

I'm not going to disguise my enjoyment of the film. It's the most consistently fun movie I've seen in awhile. I mean, you've got chop-socky action, a smart-mouth lead (who is not truly the lead), magic spells, monsters, and more. It's an endlessly charming film with a lot of heart, and I loved the character interactions as much as I did the fights. It is quite wink-wink nudge-nudge silly, but that's part of the charm! Truly a forgotten gem in John Carpenter's oeuvre (which always impresses).

I was going to criticize the film for relying on some of the tropes that have plagued asians in movies. To wit: many of the asian characters know kung fu, the heroes are aided by a wise shaman, and the plot is steeped in mystical and fantastic lore. But it occurs to me that these aren't being included for the sake of mockery; they're an affectionate homage to asian movies. What's just as notable is that many of the typical tropes are upended; Jack Burton is mostly an ineffectual sidekick, and it's his Chinese compatriots who save the day; the soundtrack is more rock with some Chinese inflections, which completely avoids stereotypes; and the Cantonese dialogue is unsubtitled, leaving the viewer immersed in Burton's surroundings (unless you're like me and have some knowledge of Cantonese). It's clear that pains were taken to make the film respectable to Chinese culture (not that this stopped asian rights groups from protesting the film, go figure).

I noticed that flick only has a 74% rating on Rottentomatoes. But this time around, f*ck the critics. I'm giving this one five cups of magic potion out of five. Very rare for me to give a perfect score, but this one deserved it handily.

Listening to: John Carpenter - The Alley (War). This is a selection from BTiLC's soundtrack, which plays during the initial battle between the two triads. Love the lack of traditional orchestration, which differs from most films.

Last edited:

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@PetiteSheWolf No problem! It was lots of fun to watch.

Greetings, Bees! I am a very tired Ox today, but I'm glad I managed to fit in a workout after all was said and done.

Today was a Paused Push day.

Paused Bench Press: 130 x 5, 135 x 3. Eh, it's okay, but let's hope I have more luck in subsequent weeks.
JM Press: 45 x 6. I liked these a lot! I've never done them before, and they're great for triceps.
Paused Incline Bench: 100 x 5.
Hammer Curls: 18 x 16(?), I think.

A typhoon signal has been raised, so we may be in for a stormy night.

I dropped some weight! When I started all this weight loss malarkey, I was 84 kg, but today when I weighed myself, I went down to 81.1. Cool beans!

I'm going to take a break from lifting tomorrow, so I should see you all on Friday.

The days fly by, Bees!

Playing: Didn't play much of anything last night - oh, I reinstalled Going Under, and am paying more attention to the dialogue and story this time. It's basically Hades with a fresh coat of (millenial) paint, but that's alright.

Watching: Still making my way through Seal Team Season 4 (it's early days), and have yet to pick a flick for late night cinema. I'm thinking it's between Dagr and Underwater.

Listening to: The Coup - The Guillotine. This might be of interest to @colin. This is an insanely groovy and danceable protest-ready anthem from a group known for them - The Coup. I love the music video concept: The Wizard of Oz meets street life, complete with an evil capitalist wizard. It's been stuck in my head since last night, and small wonder, since it's just *that* good of a song.

"Caution -- we're coming for your head
So call the Feds and get files to shred
Every textbook read said bring you the bread
But guess what we got you instead?

We got the guillotine, you better run!
"

GentleOx

Warrior from Hong Kong
"So sleepy!"
@colin Indeed! I watched and reviewed StBY awhile back, and it was a fun film!

The Ox is back and in action! The typhoon shut down things for nearly two days, so it was impossible for me to get to the gym. I rectified that with today's Leg workout (it was very minimal).

Squats: 135 x 5, 140 x 2. Two PRs! Not bad! I set out today to get 135 at a 5rm at least, and succeeded! So I upped the weight a little to improve on my previous 140 record (it was a 1rm).
Paused Squats: 90 x 3. Ugh. These were just agony coming off the back of the squats.
Leg Extensions: 75 x 10.

Then off to yummy hotpot with mom. We ordered sour cabbage and spicy fish soup, which tasted much better than it sounds. Surprisingly, no tummy issues tonight (yet).

20240904_161339.jpg

Spotted this while roaming around. A most auspicious offering to what I think is the god of money/business (some of the characters also refer to the earth, and entrances).

Enjoy your weekend, Bees! You've earned it!

Playing: On a lark, I bought Vampire Hunters: a game that mixes FPS mechanics with horde survival scenarios. It's blessedly addictive, and has become my new podcast game. I'm not very good at it, nor very far in, but it's good, mindless fun. Regarding STALKER: CoP, I've gotten to the part where you're actually in Pripyat, and in true STALKER fashion, everything is out to kill you. Bzzz!

Watching: No SEAL Team at the gym today. Watched a bit of Underwater, but it's too early to say if it's good or blah. I like the detailed aesthetic, at least.

Listening to: Harvey Danger - Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Here's another forgotten one, it's off of the underrated second album by alternative pop/rock phenoms (for a time) Harvey Danger. Combines that patented guitar snarl with critical lyrics and a compelling melody.

"Edith cannot fix another engine
Nor paint another face on a rubber can clown
She takes another temp job
But in her secret heart she rides
"