I'm Going On An Adventure!!

Saffity

Ranger from Southern Ontario, Canada
Pronouns: She/Her
"Getting strong enough to keep two tiny humans from unaliving themselves."
So progress report:

Current weight: 173 lbs (lowest I've seen is 171.8 but it's only happened a couple of times)
Highest Non-Pregnant weight: 210 lbs

Bust: 42" (not accurate due to nursing a baby)
Waist: 33.75"
Hips: 43.75"

Grey Shirt is January: 1 month Post Partum, Green Shirt is June: 6 months Post Partum

Jan2023_1.jpg Jun2023_1.jpg

Jan2023_2.jpg Jun2023_2.jpg

And have to include this photo of how strong my arms are thanks to my 18 LB CHILD WHO WON'T GO TO SLEEP WITHOUT ROCKING.

Jun2023_3.jpg

Saffity

Hooray for cooler temperatures, though most of next week is going to be in the 30s so there will be staying in the air conditioning for me and the kiddos.

Been continuing walking and park playing, enough that I had to get my orthotics updated as I compressed them to the point I got numb areas on my big toes. Luckily a small adjustment and that's getting better.

Baby is now 20 lbs and continues to insist on being walked around the room on my shoulder to go to sleep. This has two results: 1. My biceps are getting stronger, and 2. My shoulder is getting very tired and I have a small muscle pull but luckily isn't an injury.

My mental health has been up and down recently. Normal grown up stress of money and such, combined with the fact that my company did a restructuring and I got laid off on my Mat leave. I was holding it together, and then through a fluke accident of a door not being fully latched and a cat nosing it open, the baby went down 9 wooden stairs landing on a cement floor. One ambulance trip and hospital check out later and he's fine, but it tipped me over the scale, dragging my brain down into anxiety and depression for a couple weeks. Which is even harder to deal with when you have to keep smiling and happy voice for two little kiddos who don't understand.

As things cool down and we're heading into autumn and winter I'm starting to plan what I'm going to do as the weather heads into nasty territory. I also know I do better with specific goals, so let's do this to continue my journey to healthy mommy.

Things I know I need to be careful of: my shoulder obviously, and included with that, my wrists. I'm not sure if it's weakness or just a result of the fact that I'm an office worker who types a lot on a computer, but pushups, planks, anything that puts weight on my wrists really bothers them. So, I'm looking for stuff to do that doesn't have a lot of those exercises though I will be doing targeted wrist exercises to try and get myself up to being able
  1. For September I'm looking at doing Zero Hero because the weather should be nice enough for me to continue to get outside, so I don't want to do anything too intense atm.
  2. Going to do the Easy Abs challenge. At nearly 9 months post partum I want to continue to keep that area strong and continue the pelvic physio I did.
  3. Adding Counting Victories and Daily Gratitude challenges to my planner. I note lots of things in there and hope this will help with mental health.
  4. Continue with portion control and adding veggies to my meals, what I'm doing now is working so I'm going to keep up with it and continue to track my weight and measurements.
I think that's a doable set of goals for September, and some of them will continue on through the end of the year. I know myself enough that I don't want to put a numerical goal anywhere, so long as the overall direction is downward and/or smaller I'm good for now. I know my target for where I don't want to go lower (prior to my Celiac diagnosis I was underweight and never want to head back to that), but I'm good with getting there slowly and not rebounding rather than rushing and ending up gaining back.

Saffity

So I was starting well, and enjoying my mental challenges as much as the physical ones, when the universe decided that I needed a break.

I have managed to sprain my knee. Luckily there's no ligament damage, just need rest and ice for now.

So I'm going to swap to Arms of Steel chair editon to give my leg time to heal.

Walks will still happen, just shorter and slower. The mailbox is a good destination for now.

Saffity

So I am conceding, throwing in the towel and calling September a wash.

After my last post I was really struggling with taking care of two little ones when I could barely weight bear on one leg. Then the ‘mild viral infection’ decided to ramp up and give baby a very high fever. At that point he had the most minor sign of infection in his ears and we were told to wait a couple of days and see if it cleared up.

It did not clear up. So onto Amoxicillin we went and things seemed to be getting better.

Day 6 of meds we had a well baby check up and he was doing fabulously. He is in the 92nd percentile for height, heaven help us, and has taken his first through three thousandth step at 9 months. Pray for our sanity.

At the check up the doctor mentioned Amoxicillin rash in passing and we moved on. Thankfully she did because the next day he broke out in one and since she’d mentioned it, we got an appointment with her rather than me panicking and racing to emerge thinking he was going to go anaphylactic.

So a new round of different meds and a referral to an allergist and we were on our way.

Starting weaning baby off the Tylenol and Advil only for him to not sleep through the night again and be grouchy.

Found out today that he has 6-8 teeth ready to break through and that the painkillers should probably stick around on a slower dose for a while yet.

So other than me carrying 20 lbs of dead weight sick baby for most of the month I basically did no exercise.

Though the scale has read 169 twice….

I am starting off October hopeful, especially since it is my birthday month.

Today the kids and I went on a woods hike with my cousin to see the leaves and it turned out to be 6 km. The 3.5 year old walked 5 of them :ragdoll:

Then after her nap, she remembered the ‘exercise game’ and to Darebee we returned.

We did the exercise of the day with ec
Did day 3 of pathfinder because she wanted to collect water
Sat for 1 minute of Zen while the baby tried to climb all over us

Then after she was asleep I did say 1 of the October challenge.

I also did many loads of laundry which required a bajillion stairs.

Glad my knee is holding up and looking forward to a better month!

Saffity

So I’m finally back to being able to play the Exercise game with Munchie though it took me longer than expected.

I was very proud last week, we went on a 3.2 km family hike through the woods with many hills and unstable terrain and I did it with 20+ lb Baby Boy in a hiking backpack on my back. Then things took a slight turn.

Once again things came in three, since the hike:

1. Baby Boy busted his lip on the playroom floor by having an arm slip out from under him while crawl chasing his sister. Was worried about his incoming teeth but he just split his lip open and bled everywhere.

2. I decided to try my hand at foraging and ended up rolling my ankle on a black walnut. At this point I’m going to thank the inventors of the seatbelt because I took the stroller down with me and the seatbelt is the only thing that kept Baby Boy from getting a face full of asphalt. As it was he giggled at me for making him dangle. My knee however did meet asphalt and there was worry I cracked my knee cap. Luckily it was just bruised.

3. In a freak accident this weekend Munchie face planted on the play room floor and it demanded blood sacrifice from her too which resulted in a split to her chin that required a trip to emergency and some glue to stick her back together.

After all of that insanity Munchie was back in full force today and my knees said yes, so we did:

Daily Exercise: 40 Heel Clicks +EC
:pumpkin:Halloween Haunt Catchup: :pumpkin:
-120 hops on the mushroom heads
-10 jump squats for the mushroom boss
-110 front kicks for the pumpkins (don’t know what the actual exercise was but Munchie decided we were kicking them down a hill)
- 82 side kicks for the scarecrow
-170 then 220 punches for the eyeball bats (Munchie really wants to see the last boss)
Little One workout: Level 1 - 3 sets

I’ll probably screenshot the haunt image once it’s complete because Munchie really enjoyed that.

Happy to be back at it. With the shorter days the endorphins are definitely needed.

Saffity

Yay we're heading into the insane season in this household.

In December we have Baby Boy's 1st birtday, followed by Christmas, followed by Toddler Girl's 4th birthday, followed by New Year's.... the rest of my life is going to be filled with the busiest of holiday seasons.

To that end we are doing measurements as we are less than a month away from being a year postpartum:

Note: I have decided to take my high bust measurement to compare rather than my full bust as that number is highly inaccurate due to nursing.

According to my pre-pregnancy measurements that I recently found my high bust was 39.25 inches.

Today:

HB- 38.5"
W- 33.75"
H- 43.5"

Weight- 168.4lbs

Definitely looking forward to joining in on all the December events and looking my best for New Year's eve, which I will be dressing up for even if it's just an evening spent with the kids.
:dance:
I am also fully aware of the fact that as Baby Boy weans I will need to watch how much I eat and what changes occur because I totally believe my astronomical weight loss is mainly thanks to him. Firstly because I couldn't keep anything down while he was in utero, and now because most of what I eat is going towards his 98th percentile self.

I want to also put a big thank you here to all you Bees, you've all been incredibly encouraging and I often come here and read what's up even if I don't have energy to post. You guys are the best pick me up at the end of a rough day!

:mhearts::gots::support::celebrate:

Edit to say that I did day 1 of December Fit and the daily exercise with EC

Last edited:

Saffity

The Halloween challenge continues in this household. Toddler enjoyed it so much that we do a HIIT with it (kind of). She chooses one of the 'bosses' to fight (we've discovered platfomers and she loves bosses) and we do that exercise for 1 minute until we 'defeat' all of the bosses.

The baby is starting to get into it too. He doesn't know wny we raise our arms for jumping jacks, but he's going to do it too!!

I'm trying something new for me, I'm actually forcing myself to take the proper rest time between sets. Usually I decide I'm feeling good and just do the next set after about 30 seconds of rest max. I'm seeing if taking the full 2 minutes rest for Fit December will make a difference, and using the timer to make sure.

Today's workout:

:star:Halloween Challenge - all exercises 1 minute each
:star:Fit December Day 2

This is not including the kiddo exercise videos we do (DannyGo and Miss Linky are awesome for getting kids wiggles out when bad weather coops you up) and general kiddo chasing around the playroom. That in addition to getting the house cleaned and organized after finishing the basement renovation has me in a fairly sweaty state the majority of the day. :phew:

I have also figured out my wrist issue with planks/pushups. I was hyper extending my elbows. With my Celiac Disease I have hyperflexibility in most of my joints, which means I tend to sprain/dislocate rather than break which has it's pluses and minuses, but it also means I can hyper extend most joints as well. I knew this about my knees from when I used to do ballet, I just didn't realize I was doing it with my elbows too.

Once I started paying attention to what 'fully extended arms' meant to the general population as well as to my general form my wrists stopped hurting as much. Now it's just regular discomfort that you get when working muscles.

Eagerly awaiting December 10 so I can see which ornament I can go for, I've managed to get on 1 tree and 1 tree only so far... I intend to make a comeback this year.

:cape:

Saffity

Today:

:star: Fit December - Day 3

My abs were tremendously sore today due to the Exercise of the day with the leg lifts a couple days ago. Added a light cobra stretch to get some relief and it seems to be helping. Of course that means that today is ab day in Fit December.

I honestly thought my knee injury from October was healed, at least the bruise was gone, but doing these exercises the last few days has shown me that the bruise was deeper than I thought. Going to listen to my body and be careful with range of motion and such, I think it might have been the jumping squats I did for the halloween bosses.

Baby is doing much better after his last bout of ear infection so hopefully we are un an upswing for health in this house for the next bit.

:cute:

Saffity

Universe leave off will you!

:yell::onfire::smash::stubby:

I gave the toddler a bath tonight and then noticed that my knee was not only swollen but the bruise was back. This is not a good sign, so I took myself off to emergency for an x-ray.

Good news: It's not fractured
Bad news: looks like a meniscal injury

So Physio to come, but I'm still going to try to complete Fit December with modifications if necessary. Time to look up what I may have to do with physio and see how to incorporate that into my workouts.

Saffity

Alright whine fest at the universe is over, time to start figuring out a recovery plan. For starters after a night of rest and ice my pain level has dropped by about 80-85% which tells me that I over did it rather than fully reinjured it, which means that while I do need to pull back and go back to low intensity exercise, I don't have to stop entirely.

I realized that I've already been through meniscus physio when I was a teenager due to a rather severe knee injury back then. So using that knowledge as well as some research for newest information I am going through Darebee and just falling in love again with the fact that this site has everything.

I have bookmarked 9 workouts that fit the instructions I've been given for recovery from the doctor: straight leg, minimal bending and no twisting. I will be choosing one at random each day and going through it.

I am also starting the Wall Sit challenge as well as that was one of the main exercises I did when I previously injured my knee though I will be careful with listening to my body and if I need to repeat some days and go slower I will.

I am continuing with Fit December, modifying exercises as needed to keep my knee safe.

I'm hoping that the Christmas Tree Ornament has an option I can do, but I may have to sit out the snowball fight this year.

Today:

:star: Fit December - Day 4 (perfect leg exercises for the owies)
:star: Wall Sit Challenge - Day 1

Let's Go!

:butt:

Saffity

Forgot to post last night:

:star: Fit December Day 5
:star: Wall Sit Day 2
:star: Balance workout

Today:

:gstar: Fit December hall pass used to avoid lunges with knee injury
:star: Wall Sit Day 3
:star: End Game workout

Doctor Who 60th special airs on under 2 hours and it will probably destroy my heart.

Saffity

First real snow of the season has hit. It's pretty to watch but right now I'm good to stay snuggled inside with the baby.

Speaking of which, he's cutting his 6th tooth, which appears to be the last for now. Absolutely miserable little man today, so hopefully that gets through soon.

My knee isn't liking the long held wall sits from the Wall Sit challenge so I think I'll work up to that. For now I'm doing the physio version which is 10 repeats of sliding into a wall sit with a pillow between my knees, then sliding back up.

Yesterday got Day 7 done of Fit December

Today got half way through Day 8 before baby was done with everything so I'm going to try and double up tomorrow.

Also definitely saving Run you clever boy and remember for the future.

Last edited:

Saffity

All right, fell behind a bit with Fit December but I’m on my way to being caught up.

Have done:

Fit December Day 8
Fit December Day 9 - low impact modifications
Fit December Day 10 - Hall Pass due to knee injury
Fit December Day 11

SECRET SANTA LOOK HERE

Hello, lovely to ‘meet’ you. I figured since I was writing today I would make sure I left a note for you as I don’t know if I will post again before we’re matched or not.

So here’s the scoop, I’m an older mom (41) of two kids under 4. My fitness goals are overall health and wellness in order to spend a long life watching my kids grow up and also be able to play with them as much as I can. I’m good with up to a level 3 type of exercise on here.

I’m currently dealing with an injured knee so I’m not able to do exercises that involve high impact or deep knee bends, but if you really need to add some for the story I can modify.

I look forward to my adventure! Happy tidings!

Saffity

Dear Santa,

Boy have I got to say, there's no way you can really top my gift last year. A whole human added to the family is apparently just a twice in a lifetime gift for me.

With that whole human though, I have not been as good as I necessarily could have been. I have used the tiny humans as excuses as to why I did not complete many goals I set for myself over this year, at least with exercise. Not one challenge or program completed, which I would say would end me on the naughty list, but I think I kept myself good with the fact that I kept showing up and have seen progress over the year even without new badges.

I can say that from September till now has been a rather trying time, injuring first my right knee, then left, combined with a baby who couldn't sleep due to ear infections and teething has really put a damper on my energy. Thankfully with help from the lovely Bees here, I have been able to find modifications and workouts to allow me to keep going, and to hopefully strengthen my knees as they heal.

These injuries have kept me strictly low impact and no deep knee bends.

I'm continuing to work towards keeping myself healthy enough to play with the kids and live a long, full life. The weight loss in the process has just been a bonus.

When it comes to choosing my preferred exercise, I love to dance, I used to do classical dance classes and also enjoy Zumba. I am also a prolific walker in good weather, and a champion at toddler exercise videos on YouTube. If you can set the workout to music I'm a happy camper.

I have no exercise equipment at home, unless you count my 22+lb 11 month old and my 30+lb 3 year old (I'd include the cats but I think attempting to workout with them would not end up pretty), so sticking with body weight exercises would be best.

I hope the elves are keeping up their quotas and your stress down. I look forward to seeing what adventures you have in store for me.

Saffity

Saffity

The baby is officially 1!!!

The toddler will officially be 4 in 2 weeks!!!

And..... I don't exactly know what to do with myself because of my lay off over the summer. It's off to do job hunting which is so not fun. So since I have no control in the work area I'm going to plot and plan my exercise.

First things first: recovery. My left knee is still on the mend after getting injured in October. I will be starting up physiotherapy in January and that should help a lot, in the meantime I'm using the Knee Injury Guide and listening to my body to do what I can. I will be seeing the doctor to discuss if we need to do further testing to see how damaged my meniscus is and hopefully physio is enough and I don't need another surgery on that knee.

Second: muscle building. My son has helped me to get decent upper arms by demanding to be held to go to sleep, however that has mainly built up my biceps and I would like to get a bit more balance. I'm going to add in some more strength building workouts to my rotation to get more muscle tone all over.

Third: weight loss and nutrition. I'm honestly not sure what has caused my weight loss this last year. When I was pregnant I couldn't keep anything down so that was easy to pinpoint why, but since then I'm not sure. It could be nursing, or increased movement, or any number of things. So as I get to the point of weaning my son, I'm going to continue adding veggies to my meals and watching portions and see if anything changes.

I think those are good things to focus on over the year, as for specifics, I'll do monthly goals for that.

Saffity

All right, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and boy are these last two weeks utterly insane for my family!! :roadkill:

So, I don't remember dates, I just know that in the last week I

Completed my Secret Santa workout (Thank you Secret Santa, I haven't had the chance to look through everyone's Checkins to even try to guess, give me a day and I'll see.. I ADORE THE SOUNDTRACK!!! Perfect song selection was perfect!!! I will definitely be grapevining with my kiddos more in the future.)

And just to make it a bit tougher on my giftee for Secret Santa I completed the following SS workouts as well, some with modifications so as to not ruin my knee further at the end of the year.

Gandhalfit's
Legolo's
Syrius'
Valle0302's

Muahahaha which one which one could it possibly be?? (This will really back fire if 3 have already guessed correctly....:sadness:)

I will do a goals post tomorrow or such to see where I am now and where I want to get to over the course of the next year.