BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Pronouns: She/her
Sunday, August 17: Taekwondo training
:v: Taekwondo training
:v: Poomsae practice: all of em

Monday, August 18: poomsae practice
:v: Poomsae practice: taebaek & il jang

Taekwondo training again! Went super well for having been sick that recently. A little bit out of breath, and had to go a bit careful at times, but overall definitely not as bad as I was expecting. (though my DOMS today would tell you otherwise). Loads of trialers - quite a few I've seen in previous classes as well. Hope a few make it as new members - they're all so excited.

Bags are all packed (and weighed to make sure they're light enough - 8 kgs really is not as much as I thought it would be), last bits of cleaning up & tidying done. Ready to leave tomorrow morning. See you in a little over a week, bees!

:chilling:(okay, I'm heading to Scotland, so a bit less of all that sun - but the spirit is there!)

Current workout streak: 456

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you guys! Scotland was great! Perfect mix of slow/lazier days, and more active days - went to the slightly tourist traps like Edinburgh castle, hiked all the way up to arthur's peak (and tried not to be blown off of it). Spent time getting our brains around optical illusions at Camera obscura, and played around at the Glasgow Science Centre even though that was 100% more aimed at kids than we realized. Not the full list - but definitely the most memorable. No Loch Lommond, @Froud, though we listened to a few great versions of traditional songs.

Getting back to the routine has been a little difficult, so I have been slowly adding everything back. Starting with poomsae & stretching. Back to full routine from today on out. Counting the past few days in my streak, but skipping the days on vacation.

Saturday, September 30: Leg day
:v: PPL: Legs A (6 kg)
:x: Poomsae practice -> Sunday
:x: Kicking range work -> Sunday

(oop. got caught up hanging out with a friend - gotta get up early tomorrow so that'll have to be tomorrow after practice!)
Current workout streak: 460

Last edited:

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
Tourists traps are there to be used. You have to them 1st time around, otherwise what's the points of going?
Kids Science is better for adults or teens than it is for kids, you made the right choice :loveit:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Haha, I understand what you mean but the castle is worth it.
What did you think of Glasgow? I have spent very little time there (train station and Burger King :))
Definitely worth it, I think I just had my expectations up a little bit too high!

I wasn't really that much of a fan, to be honest. We had about three days in Glasgow planned, but planned where we'd stay before we planned what we wanted to do. Which meant that we were super close to the train station which was super easy for getting to our hotel, but most of the things we wanted to do were quite a long walk away, mostly through an area of town that really didn't feel nice. I probably felt about as comfortable as I would walking about Brussels, as I did in Glasgow. Very rundown, etc.

Eventually the Science centre was the only thing we really felt excited enough about to do, beyond a walk in the area. We might have had a more positive experience if we'd chosen a hotel that was in another area of town though.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Sunday October 1
:v: Poomsae practice

Monday, October 2

:v: Kicking range work

Tuesday, October 3

:v: Zombies, Run! 5K training W6D1
:x: Poomsae practice
:x: Push workout

Wednesday, October 4
:x: Poomsae practice
:x: Push workout
:v: Light stretching - trying not to push it

A good, and a bad in today's update.

First the good: my run went really well! Apart from a machine blocking the road (& me needing to pause to let it pass me) I managed to run all the intervals, with little to no issues. After this long off of running, I was a bit worried about that. Great to be feeling better.

Then, the bad. After another few weeks of low to no taekwondo practice, I am really struggling. Seems like belt exams are right around the corner, and so we're threading into territories we don't often do (like sparring with full protective gear). The long time away from training in general, combined with the unfamiliar elements of practice, tons of newbies, harder warm-ups (which tend to get competitive and I am absolutely the worst of the adults), and one of my trainers's love for a type of stretching that I cannot do properly without overstretching, is leading me to really struggle with my self-confidence in training. This to the point that I've not been able to fully attend the trainings and had to stop early because I was so stuck in my head I couldn't even bring myself to manage the chaos of warm-up games. The way we're learning the sparring isn't working for me at all, and I'm getting really discouraged overall with how much progress I'm losing. This has been affecting how motivated I am in other aspects of my workouts as well as my poomsae practice which I always used to love even when I was doubting it.

Only way this will get better is continuing going to training. In the end, it is a process, and only way out is through. But it gets so frustrating to have to rebuild sparring & hosinsul every single time a belt test comes around. Having to rebuild my confidence again and again and again, and starting lower and lower each time.
I know what to do to prevent this from happening: do a lot more practice at home so I can keep up my progress even when we can't attend training. But there are so many aspects I'd need to be able to include:
  • sparring training (on my own... somehow)
  • kicking combinations so I don't freeze the moment they say "just kick combinations you feel like", kind of like when someone asks you what your favorite book is and suddenly you feel like you've never read a book in your life
  • Balance & coordination training
  • jumping/moving kicks
  • (and other aspects that I'm sure I am forgetting atm)
and honestly I have zero idea how to even begin tackling this mountain. I want to tackle the mountain, cause when it is going well I absolutely love taekwondo, and I want to get back there. But man, I feel worse than the average beginner lately.

big hero 6 GIF

Now sleep. In the morning, when I feel a bit better about all of this, I can start to plan.

Current workout streak: 464

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Maybe at home focus on just one thing that you like and gives you satisfaction, then you will want to try something more difficult ;)

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Then the alternative is to try the exercises done in class again at home while you still have them clear in mind :)
Unfortunately in almost all martial arts most of the time is spent preparing for exams.

Lupus Sheol

Warrior Monk from USA
Taking a break for a bit to sort things out mentally. At this point, I can't even really get myself to training.

:crawl:
:hug: Emotional wellbeing is an important part of being healthy, if you need a break just take it. Recenter in why you love tae kwon do. Belts and rank are part of the game but the most important things that you'll get from your martial arts practice can't be measure that way. Hope you sort things out and keep enjoying your practice soon. Late congrats on your vacation to Scotland.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Coming back a lot later than I originally intended to, but thank you guys :heart:

I've got loads of stuff worked out, schedules mostly set-up, mentally feeling a little bit better. Did definitely noticed that without the accountability I slack a lot more, and am a lot less consistent. Hoping to improve on that a little.
(as it turns out - today was not that day. Plans ended up a bit later than expected. A better day tomorrow)

Wednesday, November 8
Catch-up work, meant to do yesterday
:v: Base building workouts (ab work, push ups, leg exercises, kicking work)
:v: Poomsae practice: keumgang & taegeuk ee jang
:v: Front Split Routine (Tom Merrick)

Today
:v: Poomsae practice: koryo & taegeuk sam jang
:x: Sparring work
:x: Hamstring Flexibility Routine (Dani Winks)
:x: Pancake Flexibility Stretching (Tom Merrick)
:x: Ab workout

Still trying to find the right routines for stretching, especially in video form cause that just works a lot better for me than written guides. Have to properly set up my sparring work, but working on that slowly as I go. Hoping to add in some light yoga starting next week as well.

Now I'm off to catch up on everyone else's posts.

Current workout streak: 1.

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thursday, November 9
:x: Base building (did yesterday, skipping today to get back to normal schedule)
:v: PPL: Pull A - 8 kg
:v: Poomsae practice (focussed on a bit of koryo that was stumping me yesterday, scheduled poomsae added to tomorrow)
:v: Middle Split Routine (Tom Merrick)

Getting really close with my middle splits! Just about a fist distance left. Tom Merrick does more PNF-based stretching videos, which has been helping a bit.

Current workout streak: 2

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Friday , November 10
:v: PPL: Legs A (8 kg, 3 sets)
:v: Poomsae practice: Sa jang, oh jang, chil jang, pal jang
:v: Sparring practice (15-ish minutes)

Three sets of PPL, because it's been a while since I've gone this heavy on leg day, just 6 kgs per dumbbell last time. Figured out a trick to how to stop my knees snapping during weighted squats, which is a huge quality of life improvement.

Current workout streak: 3

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
You see - the thing about posting for consistency is you in fact actually have to post. Didn't end up doing anything on Sunday, had all day plans with friends.

Saturday 11 - Friday 17 November
Weight work
:v: Monday - PPL: Push B, 8 kg
:x: Wednesday - Ab workout
:v: Thursday - PPL: Pull B, 8 kg
:v: Friday - PPL: Legs B, 8 kg

Taekwondo related
:v: Every day - Poomsae practice (except Sunday)
:v: Tuesday, Friday - Base building (body weight strength work + kicking practice)
:v: Wednesday - Sparring

Stretching
:v: Tuesday - Dani Winks front split stretching
:v: Wednesday - Tom Merrick pancake work
:v: Thursday - Dani Winks Middle split & straddle routine

Running
:v: Tuesday - This Messy Happy running plan W3D1: 2 min walk, 2 min run alternating
:v: Thursday- This Messy Happy running plan W3D2: 1.5 min walk, 2.5 min run alternating

Saturday, November 18
:v: This Messy Happy running plan W3D3: 2 km long run
:x: Sparring practice
:v: Poomsae practice: Taegeuk yuk jang
:v: Dani Winks front split stretching

Instead of yoga, I'm re-adding in a long time on-and-off again love of mine: running. This week has been a lesson in mearning to embrace the wet, wet Belgian weather and going on runs despite that. Did mean I came home absolutely soaked 2/3 runs of the week, but that's nothing a hot shower can't fix.
[tab]I have been way too inconsistent with running in the past months though, so I decided to move back to a different 5K plan (though not starting at the absolute beginning) rather than continue where I left off with Zombies Run. My Zombies Run membership doesn't really last long enough to redo that whole plan, and there is only so often I can hear that same story line. With the weather too, I'm not really fancying being out an hour in the rain and most of the Zombies Run runs are around that. This new plan I can follow all the way to 10K, half marathon, or even marathon if it goes according to plan.

Did feel my hamstring a little this run, so I am opting for skipping sparring in favor of not having issues tomorrow at practice. I'm adding a lot back in, and would rather give my body time to adjust to its new load.

Current workout streak: 6

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
You see - the thing about posting for consistency is you in fact actually have to post.

I'm adding a lot back in, and would rather give my body time to adjust to its new load.
I can so relate to both of these... only half the second one though... adjusting? Bagh, who needs that. 😅😅 (Says Nevetharine then quits after 5 days)

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
I can so relate to both of these... only half the second one though... adjusting? Bagh, who needs that. 😅😅 (Says Nevetharine then quits after 5 days)
Yeaaaah, I've done exactly the same in the past. Either did so much I started to hinder/injure myself when I did stick by it, or by the end of the week only one of the things on the new plan remains. I am so bad at getting habits to stick.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Sunday, November 19
:v: Poomsae practice: going over all taegeuks.
:x: Middle splits practice (already did quite intense stretching during training)

Monday, November 20
:v: Poomsae practice: Il jang + Taebaek
:x: PPL: Push A

Tuesday, November 21
:v: PPL: Push A (8 kg)
:x: This messy Happy running plan, W3D1
:v: Tom Merrick front split routine
:v: Taekwondo base building

Didn't sleep til 4 AM on Tuesday, so I chose to skip this one day of running and will instead be repeating the week prior the rest of the week, as I'd had issues with the last two runs (allergy & breathing related) anyway. Running is all about confidence for me, and hitting a wall and potentially having more issues for the 3 km run this weekend would set me back more than just repeating.

Wednesday, November 22
:v: Taekwondo sparring work
:v: taegeuk sa jang & koryo
:x: Ab workout (trying Core Conditioning)
:v: Yoga With Adrienne: Reunite With Your Center
:v:/:x: Hamstring & Pancake stretching routine

(pancake stretching moved to 23rd)

Current workout streak: 10

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Friday, November 24S
:v: Poomsae practice: taegeuk oh jang & chil jang
:v: Ankle mobility work
:v: YWA: Wind Down Yoga | 12-Minute Bedtime Yoga (will be done just before bed)

Can't go to Sunday's taekwondo practice - so I have some freedom to shift things around a bit this week. So I'm taking an improptu rest day, Pull workout is for tomorrow, long run Saturday or Sunday depending on how rainy Saturday is. Taekwondo work is shifted up one day as well.
Ankle mobility work is a bit freeform atm. Both working on knees over toes & a little more sideways mobility so I can be a bit more sturdy in middle splits.

Current workout streak: 12

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Saturday, November 25
:v: PPL: Pull A [8 kg]
:v: Tom Merrick Front Split (PNF stretching)
:v: Poomsae practice: Taegeuk yuk jang
:x: YWA calendar (meditation - can't)
:x: Taekwondo base work

The cat disrupted base work - he decided underneath my feet was exactly where he needed to be and there was just too much risk of accidentally hitting him. Will do a combination of sparring & base work tomorrow, sometime past my run. So far, so good this week - hamstrings feel tight and need some more warming up prior to front kicks etc. Especially on the left. Wonder if it's overworking, or just not being as consistent as I should have been with stretching and warming up.

Current workout streak: 13

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Sunday, November 26
:v: This Messy Happy W3D3: 2km long run (around 16 minutes - slow but steady)

Monday, November 27
:v: PPL: Pull B [8 kg]

Tuesday, November 28
:v: This Messy Happy plan, W4D1 [5 min warm up run, (1:30 walk, 2:30 run) x6]

Wednesday, November 29
:v: Monster Core, level 1

Thursday, November 30
- Rest day

I forgot to track a lot of the smaller stuff, this week. All the tracking systems in the world, but they really only work when you actually make a habit out of filling them in. Making an effort to make it a habit this December.

Tuesday's run was great for the warm up & first interval, then I got period cramps in the middle of it (but proud of myself for continuing to run through them all the same). Taking it a bit quieter since, was tempted to try running on Thursday and see if I could make it through the cramps & the cold my mother brought home. But even without doing anything my legs are incredibly sore today so I am glad I didn't.

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Friday, December 1 (!)
:v: Power Squats, day 1
:v: Poomsae practice: oh jang + Chil jang
:v: PPL: Pull B (8 kg)
:v: Tom Merrick - Ankle mobility routine
:x: FIT December, day 1

Saturday, December 2
:x: Long run
:v: Power Squats, day 2
:v: Poomsae practice: yuk jang
:v: FIT December, day 2

Before bed plans
- Dani winks 10 minute splits routine
- Tom Merrick Pancake routine

Might still try to tack on day 1 of Fit December later today, didn't end up having the space to do any jumping last night. Might consider it a hall pass. Maxing out reps on Pull days at 8 kgs - though it's still a challenge. Might be time to trial 10 kg next week or the week after? I have been there before, but never for long.

Busy day tomorrow - taekwondo practice in the morning then straight home, super quick shower, and back on the road to a RPG session until late. Hoping to get some time to stretch & work in the challenges, otherwise taekwondo will have to count as the stretching for the day.

I don't know why yoga seems to be so difficult to get in. Maybe I'm trying to squish too much stretching into my pre-bed time? Maybe I should aim for only every other day? More tinkering required.

Current workout streak: 2

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Sunday, December 3
:v: FIT December - hall pass
:x: Stretching
:v: Power Squats, day 3

Monday, December 4
:v: FIT December, day 4 (1 side per set, so 6 sets to even out)
:v: Power Squats, day 3
:v: Power Squats, day 4
:x: PPL: Push A (very stiff upper back after training)
:v: Poomsae practice: taegeuk il jang & taebaek

Current workout streak: 4

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Tuesday, December 5 - Sunday December 10
Every day
:v: Power Squats, day 5 - 10
:v: FIT December, day 5 - 8
:x: FIT December, Hall pass 3 (day 9)
:x: FIT December, day 10 (postponing until tomorrow)

Wednesday:
:v: Ab workout

Thursday:
:v: TMH running plan - W4D2 (thursday)
:v: PPL: Legs A (8 kg)

Friday
:v: Taekwondo work (base work, some hosinsul prep, taegeuks - all in all about 45 mins)
:v: PPL: Pull A (8 kg)

Saturday
:x: TMH running plan - W4D3 (3 km long run)

Well - today was supposed to have been taekwondo training. However, both my friend and I are still feeling very under the weather so decided it was better to skip today's class, and tomorrow too. Then see how Wednesday goes. Health before exercise (especially when around other people). That's probably also the best way to summarize this week - trying to focus on working out, while also giving my body the rest it needed. Saturday was especially bad, so basically only did poomsae practice & hall pass that day, and an early night's rest.

Downside is, I'll probably miss belt testing this time around. They didn't announce it in time (or really.. at all, no email & only a mention of 'should be the week after next') for me to properly prepare, but I still wanted to try if only to get pointers for what to improve. Feedback sometimes is a little lacking during class. But then I would have had to make Sunday's class so I could work on & improve my self-defence and sparring with my partner. I might discuss with one of the trainers if I could make up the testing on another week on account of being sick - they sometimes do so for the older teens & adults. But I won't sweat it if they say no.

Current workout streak: 10

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you @Nevetharine @Laura Rainbow Dragon, @JCU & @Mamatigerj! Starting to feel better now - just a bit of a nasty cough that won't entirely go away. It has made cardio somewhat impossible (alas, no darebee christmas events for me this year)

Haven't had the most consistent past week, and thus haven't really felt like updating - didn't feel like there was much worth updating on! It really just boils down to:
  1. FIT December unless it was a cardio day (day 13 + 17), then I did the minute of march steps to earn myself a Hall pass. (5/10 Hall passes)
  2. Power Squats
  3. No running for the past week and this week, so I can give my lungs a bit of a break and not make things worse.
  4. No Taekwondo practice. Would have loved to be able to go but I'd be coughing and wheezing the entire time and I have to respect myself and the rest of the training group.
I did find some time for planning, and looking at my schedule for the next few months. Swapped around some stretching routines because I am finding that the written format for my B weeks just really wasn't working for me. It is so much easier to get myself to follow a video rather than set manual timers on my phone and check what the next update is.

Monday, December 18
:v: FIT December, day 18 (those goblet squats & holds were humbling!)
:v: Power Squats, day 18
:v: Poomsae practice: il jang & taebaek + sam jang
:v: PPL: Push A [8 kg]

Current workout streak: 18

Last edited: