Progress over perfection

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
To say that he was not impressed by their dan holders' poomsae performance, he mentioned "that they were about at Laura's level".
Ouch, that's rude! He should have said that your club's green belts are as good as their black belts. A much better spin. I guess I just try to find a possible positive slant to comments that could otherwise be demeaning (though that one above has no positive and is just plain insulting).
Always remember though, no matter what demeaning/insulting/patronising comments people make to you, you are the one out there. You are the one who is moving your body, trying to look after yourself, and ultimately, you are the one who will benefit from your endeavours. And you are one of the small percentage of people in the world who actually exercise! You are one of the elite! :)

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Pronouns: She/her
Ouch, that's rude! He should have said that your club's green belts are as good as their black belts. A much better spin. I guess I just try to find a possible positive slant to comments that could otherwise be demeaning (though that one above has no positive and is just plain insulting).
Yeah, and I know the guy and I know he doesn't intend it as rude as it came across. I regularly do up to chil jang in training without too many huge mistakes, at least based on what corrections I've received from the coaches. Don't get me wrong, I have huge work to do in the refinement & finishing of the moves. But I do think I have some of the basics down decently. So I am a bit above the level of the other green belts in my club in poomsae who mainly know up to sa jang. (Pal-jang I keep making mistakes in - so I tend to bow out prior). So maybe I was just the closest comparison he had.
But still hurt to hear. I definitely would have prefered him to just compare belts. Or even just said that if I was out of earshot.

Always remember though, no matter what demeaning/insulting/patronising comments people make to you, you are the one out there. You are the one who is moving your body, trying to look after yourself, and ultimately, you are the one who will benefit from your endeavours. And you are one of the small percentage of people in the world who actually exercise! You are one of the elite! :)
That is very very fair! Gotta remember that more sometimes. Thank you :thanku:

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
TUE JUN 13: Run + Flexibility
Challenges
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 13
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 10
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 13

Workouts:
:v: NRC 5K, W2.5 || Speedwork: First Fartlek Run [completed the fartlek without stopping this time!]
:v: Stretching Routine for the Lower Body (movementbydavid, 20 mins)
:v: Poomsae practice

WED JUN 13: Pull
Challenges
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 14
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 11
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 14

Workouts:
:v: PPL: Push A workout (8 kg, maxed rep count)

Current workout streak: 362

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
THU JUN 15: Ab day
Challenges
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 15
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 12
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 15

Workouts:
:v: Work on kicks
:v: Abs loading, level 1 (bit too warm)

FRI JUN 16: Run + Leg day
Done

Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 15
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 16
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 13

Workouts:
:v: Speedrun: The Shifter
:v: PPL: Legs A workout (8 kg, 3 sets instead of 4)
:x: Poomsae practice

Spent some time yesterday trying to figure out what the issue/weak link is with the height of my back kicks. Same common denominator as my issues with naeryo & front kick height: tight/inflexible hamstrings. In this case in my standing leg. So I'm going to start doing some strengthening exercises at extended range, every other day. It worked for actually getting to pull my toes up for the front kicks, isolating the issue. I am sure it will also work for this.

Today's speed run I really should have looked at properly before I selected it for my in between week. Thought it was 4 min at recovery, rest, 1 min at mile pace, rest, and continuing on that pattern with 3 min at 10k, 2 min at 5K, and finally 1 min at mile followed by 1 min best. Instead, it was a 4 min at recovery pace immediately followed by 1 min at mile pace, some rest, then 3 min 10k immediately followed by the min at mile pace and so on. Much harder than I was originally anticipating this morning. But I managed to make it through all the intervals, pretty much on pace! Pretty stoked about that.
Not going to lie, I am definitely over this weather.

Current workout streak: 364

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
I hear you @BetaCorvi!
This is one of those situations where intention does not match impact. And because people come with good intentions (I assume! no way to know), it feels awkward to react badly, so you don't even have anywhere to send your feelings. "But I was being NICE, why are you pushing back?!"

I wish I could say that I pushed the comment I received to the back of my mind - I tried! yet here we are, years later, and I remember. I still completed the Challenge anyway.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SAT JUN 17: Flexibility
Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 17
:x: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 17
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 13

Workouts:
:v:
morning stretching
:x: Work on kicks
:x: Flexibility training

Getting to spend the rest of the day hanging out with a friend. Just figured I'd update a little early, so I'd have some accountability to myself to still put in the effort to do the rest when I get home in the evening.

Update: Okay, maybe the accountability didn't help. Instead I fell asleep super early because I was exhausted. Rest day instead!

Current workout streak: 365

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SUN JUN 18: Taekwondo training
Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 18
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 18
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 14

Workouts:
:v: Taekwondo training
:x: Long Run

MON JUN 19: Long Run
Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 19
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 18
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 15

Workouts:
:x: Taekwondo training
:v: 20 minute Long Run, 2.7 km.

Legs didn't feel really great after taekwondo training - somewhere half the training I did something wrong with my calf muscle. Started feeling really tight, but not so bad I couldn't continue. My legs were absolutely dead though after the pretty intense training, so I made the decision to not go on a run afterwards.
Woke up with a pretty painful left calf muscle that got progressively worse, not doms as that usually is a dull pain for me and not a sharp pain. Training partner was having some issues with sore muscles, so we elected to skip today's training. Did want to go on a run, and at least try and see if I could shake the lactate out of it. And while I was running I didn't feel the pain at all. It felt really nice. Slow, steady, felt like I could just keep on running. Back to twenty minutes, after not being able to mentally get through ten for the past few long runs.

Doing long runs after taekwondo hasn't been very doable because the past few trainings have been really tough. So I think I may keep the long runs on monday and shift the running & PPL schedules accordingly. Much less busy with people off to work, and I know I can train on how my legs feel now, but I can't run after very heavy taekwondo classes.

Current workout streak: 367

Thank you everyone! :thanku:

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
TUE JUN 20: Push Day
Challenges:
:x: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 20
:x: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 18
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 16

Workouts:
:v: Push Workout (PPL program, day 17, 8 kg dumbells)

WED JUN 21: Run
Challenges:
:x: Epic Glutes Challenge
:x: Blogilates 30 day splits
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 16

Workouts:
:x: Taekwondo class [had plans to play a ttrpg with friends instead]
:v: NRC 5K program, W3: How Fartlek can you go || Speed run
b6LN9iw.png

THU JUN 22: Pull Day
Challenges:
:x:
Epic Glutes Challenge
:x:
Blogilates 30 day splits
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 16

Workouts:
Poomsae practice: isolated practice trying to focus on the side kicks. Need to check the form & chamber properly with my coaches next taekwondo class.
PPL: Pull B (10 kg, 4 sets of max reps possible with good form)

FRI JUN 23: Run + Abs Day
Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 23
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 17

Workouts:
Poomsae practice
:x: Ab Workout (completely forgot that I also had an ab day planned) :facepalm:
:v: NRC 5K trainer: 15 minute recovery run. [originally a 20 minute run, but wanted to cut back considering the fartlek the day after]
fsO9IyV.png

NOTES
Okay, whenever I take a few days easier, I start feeling like I haven't done enough to really post about, and I don't post. And then I lose track of days and forget elements of my workout. (looking at you, ab workout) Need to fix that. Going to just section out the notes, feel free to skip!

Leg-issues
Skipped most of the leg work that made the calf hurt, and skipped out on stretching it as well. Happy to say calf felt better after three days, and now no longer hurts. Not gonna catch up on the days of Epic Glutes I didn't do, considering I can do the day I'm supposed to be at just fine.

Still not sure if I should quite train it with weights today, just in case. Might feel it out and start lower? Might do a no-weight leg workout.

Push day solution?
I think I'm going to be rotating between day 17 & day 21 of the PPL program for Push days. That evenly spreads out the different exercises that are achievable with my dumbells (tricep kickbacks not so much, and Push A had a bit too much overlap otherwise). While I think still hitting most of the major muscle groups?

Running
Happy with how that fartlek went, but I'll be honest it is a lot of effort for me to actually do. Supposed to be a Fartlek today as well, but my body felt pretty off today and I think I want to stick to working out at home today. Fartleks are not my cup of tea quite yet and I've done two over the program, but I hope in some future to begin to enjoy them once I've built up a better base.

I am definitely in a better brain space when it comes to the long runs, but Monday's 25 minute long run is going to be the proper test for it.

Stretching
Gonna drop the Blogilates and find a different routine, maybe just try another proper try at daily yoga? I don't know, I find even in the problem areas and pushing it, I just wasn't increasing any flexibility, and sometimes overstretching. Flexibility work remains a bit of a slippery slope.

Thank you all :heart:

Current workout streak: 371

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SAT JUN 24: Run + Leg day
Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 24
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 18

Workouts:
Poomsae practice (1-3, meant to refresh all of the ones I know for training tomorrow, but cat interruption)
:v: Ab Workout: Growingwithannanas 15 minute ab workout
:x: NRC 5K trainer: Fartlek run
:v: Leg work: lying abductor leg raises & lying abductor circles, 3 sets of fifteen, 15 sec rest-ish, did both exercises before I moved to the other side. Especially the circles were challenging. [source]

Current workout streak: 372

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SUN JUN 25: Taekwondo
Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 24
N/A: 50 push up challenge, day 19

Workouts:
Poomsae practice (1-4 in class)
:v: Taekwondo training
:v: Flexibility training

Push up planking is just not my friend, and no matter how long I have to hold I just can't do with proper form. Worst of all, they extremely demotivate me as they ramp up super quick. So the planking days I'm going to treat as rest days.

MON JUN 26: Taekwondo + Run
Done:

Workouts:
:v: Long run, 25 min [2 miles/3.2 km]

To Do
Challenges:
:x: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 25
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 20

Workouts:
:v:/:x:Taekwondo training
:x: Yoga, maybe?

Slowed down my long run pace, and it was tough to do, but I made it the full 25 minutes! Legs feel a little heavy, but I did roll them out. Hopefully by this evening they'll feel good enough for a good training this evening. Final taekwondo training in dobok and at the regular schedule tonight. Looking forward to training, but it def is a bit sad.

Edit: Well, that was a bust. really stressy day to begin with, extremely frustrating warm up (just, basketball, but we don't split up in groups based on size/age, which means both I and the little kids are useless while the guys play basketball very aggresively and the rest of us don't really get to do anything but run after them and not get the ball - trainers just laugh at their antics and apparently don't see its miserable for the rest of us) that left me feeling worthless. then one of the little kiddos who is the same belt I am gets to test, bcs they're a kid, while the rest of us green belts were specifically told it was too soon which just made me feel worse/like us older new students don't matter as much as the kiddos do. then they did stretching as a 'well, we'll have you guys set up stretching exercises on the fly'. which you don't do for me, my brain just shuts down and doesn't know any stretching stuff when you put it on display like that. plus the order of the stretching made zero sense to begin with. so i bowed out and sat outside for the rest of class. so freaking frustrating. had intentions to do the rest of my exercise afterwards, but honestly i went straight to bed when i got home.

Current workout streak: 374

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
TUE JUN 27: Push
Workouts:
:v: PPL: Push day 17, 8 kg

Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 27
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 20

WED JUN 28: Speed Run
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice + Hamstring work
:v: NRC 5K trainer W4 || Rhythm and Roll [0:30 Mile Pace, 4 x 0:30 5K Pace, 3:00 10K Pace, 4 x 0:30 5K Pace, 0:30 Mile Pace -- overall ran too fast]

Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 28
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 21

THU JUN 29: Pull day
Workouts:
:v: PPL: Pull A [10 kg]

Challenges:
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 29+30

FRI JUN 30: Recovery Run + Ab work
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice + Hamstring work
:x: NRC 5K trainer, W4 || 1 mile recovery Run
:v: Ab work - just a number of sets planking

Challenges:

Bit of a rougher week - no runs until the long run because my legs do not function well with blood loss. Will be doing long run, then repeating the running week.

Focussing on my kick techniques in the past few days of poomsae work. With the help of a friend I got my side kick chamber to a much nicer/better place, and I think I am starting to get a hang of getting my toes in the right position. Now just get both kick types faster/fast enough for actually poomsae in good form.

Current workout streak: 378

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
I hope you are feeling better. In any case, I know it may be annoying but it is just a short moment of frustration and it won't matter much once you are over it. Life is full of these moments but you can learn from them.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
I hope you are feeling better. In any case, I know it may be annoying but it is just a short moment of frustration and it won't matter much once you are over it. Life is full of these moments but you can learn from them.
Yeah, definitely am feeling better and over it, and any other day it would have not bugged me to the extent of leaving class. But that day it was just that one inconvenience that's too much. In Dutch we'd say "The last drop" -- straw that broke the camel's back? Is that the right proverb in English?

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you! @roman @Tileenah @Fremen @CODawn @Anek @JCU @TopNotch!

SAT JULY 1: Leg Day
Workouts:
:x: Speed Run
:x: Leg day workout
:v: Foundations Of Shoulder Stand | Candle Pose - Yoga With Adriene

Challenges:
:v: Epic Core, day 1

SUN JULY 2: Rest
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice, specifically 1-4, front & side kick focus
:v: Spin kicks practice
:v: Yoga for Flexible Mind and Body - Yoga With Adriene

Challenges:
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 21
:v: Epic Core, day 2

In today's case of TMI: during my period it seems like even walking up the stairs to my bedroom exhausts my legs. So no running, and choosing not to do a leg day workout seems to have been a good idea. Did the spin kicks practice yesterday, and today my shins hurt and calves are heavy. Weight training would not have ended well, I think. I'll reintroduce running tomorrow, with a speed work workout. I have to change my running schedule a little for taekwondo practice (Wednesday only for July), but not 100% sure yet how. This will lead to my long run on Sunday again. Hmm. A bit hesitant on doing a speed work workout on that same day as taekwondo training though. Gotta see.

Am definitely enjoying getting to do yoga again! Less so when Loki decided that right behind my shoulders was a great place to take a nap while I was sitting in candle pose. But he makes up for it by being cute and finding more appropriate places for cuddling.

Current workout streak: 380

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
MON JULY 3: Rest
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice, specifically 1-4, front & side kick focus
:v: Airplane Yoga - Yoga With Adriene

Challenges:
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 22
:v: Epic Core, day 3

TUE JULY 4: Run + Pull
Workouts:
:v: NRC 5K trainer W4 || Rhythm and Roll [0:30 Mile Pace, 4 x 0:30 5K Pace, 3:00 10K Pace, 4 x 0:30 5K Pace, 0:30 Mile Pace]
:v: 10 Min. Post-Run Stretch
:v: PPL program day 17 [10 kg on Svend Press, Push ups (alt), and pullovers, 8 kg on tricep extensions]
:v: Poomsae practice, oh jang side kick focus.
:v: 25-Minute Upper Body Yoga - Yoga with Adrienne

Challenges:
:x:/:v: 50 push up challenge, day 22 - did try it but got stuck with the first set of push ups at 20, retrying tomorrow.
:v: Epic Core, day 4

Last rest day - back to running! Still went too quick for the 5K marks, my watch always jumps between nearing 7 min/km, to 5'45" - 6'15"/km when I then try to correct that. I stuck to slightly too fast rather than too slow. But it felt really good to be back.

Current workout streak: 382

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
:thanks: @Mamatigerj

WED JULY 5: Taekwondo + Flexibility
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice (1-7jang)
:v: Morning Yoga On The Road - Yoga With Adrienne
:v: Taekwondo practice
:v: Flexibility training (no guide - just stretched what felt tight after training)

Challenges:
:v: Epic Core, day 5

THU JULY 6: Run + Ab Workout
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice - isolated blocking motions
:v: Yoga for Inner Space Travel - Yoga With Adrienne definitely one of the weirder yoga practices I've done
:v: NRC 5K W4 || 1 mile recovery run [11:23 mins]
:v: Ab workout [PPL program day 3, elbow planks, side planks, high crunches]

Challenges:
:v: Epic Core, day 6

Most of Wednesday's taekwondo practice was sparring themed dwit & yop chagi/Back & side kick practice on body shields. Super great class - and I felt like I've actually made progress with my back kicks. Loads of elements still to improve, but went better/more confident than the last training we did them in. Honestly, it was a super fun training. However, I was paired up with my friend whose kicks have a lot of power. After a little over an hour (not counting the warm up) of taking turns either holding the body shield for the other, or practicing the kicks, my elbow is feeling a little sore today from the impact. So I switched today to an ab workout day to give my elbow a break before a pull workout with 10 kg dumbells.

Tabling the push up challenge - need to rethink how to progress with push ups without mentally blocking out.

Current workout streak: 384

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
FRI JULY 7: Run + Ab Workout
Workouts:
:v: Yoga For When You Are Stuck - Yoga With Adrienne
:v: NRC 5K W4 || Speed Run with Sanya [5 min WU, (2 min 5K pace, 1 min rest, 1 min mile pace, 1 min rest, 15 sec Best pace, 30 sec rest, 15 sec best pace) X3, with 2 min rest between sets]
:v: PPL: Pull B [10 kg, 3 sets. Skipped the upright rows because they hurt my elbow]

Challenges:
:v: Epic Core, day 7

SAT JULY 8: Leg Day
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice - kick timing
:x: Yoga Flow - Yoga With Adrienne
:v: PPL: Legs B [6 kgs, exercise 1 & 2 - really had to force my way through.]

Challenges:
:v: Epic Core, day 8

SUN JULY 9: Long Run + Flexibility
Workouts:
:v: Poomsae practice - kick timing front kick + punches
:x: Yoga For Equestrians - Yoga With Adrienne
:v: NRC 5K W4 || 30 minute long run: 3.79 km
:v: 20 minute lower body stretch - MadFit

Challenges:
:v: Epic Core, day 9

Meant to be flexibility only, but I'll be hanging out with a friend all of Monday, so tucked in the long run today. 30 minutes!

Current workout streak: 387

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you! @Tileenah :thanku:

MON JULY 10: Rest
Workouts:
:v: Quick poomsae practice - il jang mainly
:x: Yoga

Challenges:
:v: Epic core, day 10

TUE JULY 11: Run + Push
Workouts:
:v: Quick poomsae practice - focus on kick + punch motions, and doing all the in between steps correctly
:v: Hamstring range work - especially back kick related
:v: Push workout: PPL program day 21. 6 kg, but slow movements.
:v: NRC 5K W5 || In the Zone speedrun
:v: Foundations of Yoga: Runners Lunge (Yoga with Adrienne)

Challenges:
:v: Epic core, day 11

Did only 3/5 4 min intervals of my speedrun fully, walked some of the others. Only managed to get out around noon, and it was just way to warm. My legs were cramping up, and my heart rate was nearing 200. Totally okay with that though - I knew with this heat it was going to be a really tough run. I did what I could, and I got out there. So that's what matters.

Current workout streak: 389

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
My legs were cramping up, and my heart rate was nearing 200. Totally okay with that though - I knew with this heat it was going to be a really tough run. I did what I could, and I got out there. So that's what matters.
Incredible ❤ well done and
You are absolutely right.
Keep fighting on

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
WED JULY 12: Taekwondo
Workouts
:v: Taekwondo practice
:v: Longer stretching: Active warm up, pancake, side split, frog stretches

Challenges
:v: Epic core challenge, day 12

THU JULY 13 - SAT JULY 15: Rest
:v: Epic Core, day 13 - 15
:v: Light stretching, pretty much daily
:v: Very minor poomsae practice - just working through smaller segments

SUN JULY 16: Flexibility
Workouts
:v: Reunite With Your Breath | 19-Minute Breath Practice (Yoga with Adriene, July Challenge)
:v: Poomsae practice, focussing on middle blocks & blocking out far enough
:x: Flexibility Workout (haven't set one up yet)

Challenges
:v: Epic Core, day 16 (1.5 kg weights, for fun)

Notes
Taekwondo practice on Wednesday was a tough one! Lots of (good!) challenging material. Some of the stuff I completely didn't get at training, but have been slowly practicing outside of training, and am sort of getting now.

Am going to be building some variants of a stretching routine to cycle through throughout the weeks. That approach has been working nicely for my PPL workout split. I've been finding that doing just the same stretching routine is too boring, but leaving it open to youtube videos is making me not choose and opting to skip. Figure I'll build four routines, so I can have an A & B week, as well as some variety between Wednesday's & Sunday's stretching session. Biggest choice I'll have to make is which one to pick for Wednesday. Now just to actually design the routines.

I picked up a bug from one of the kids at training (or my friend passed on something on, or I ate something wrong Wednesday after practice) that knocked me out for a few days. Am learning to get better at listening to my body and not pushing for workouts while recovering, so just did the base very light Epic Core challenge, and then some stretching. Other days I would have probably only taken the Thursday off for myself and not given myself the Friday & Saturday to recover - pushing through any nausea & feeling ill and probably prolonged how long it took to recover. Slowly, slowly getting there.

Happily, I am feeling much, much more normal since and I think I should be good to go to return to programming as normal. Sunday is a bit of a rest day to begin with - so Monday & Tuesday are going to be the actual proper tests.

Current workout streak: 394