October 10:

Power Builder: :x: - taking a break to heal minor injuries
1000 Calf Raises: Day 10
yoga: :x:
meditation: :x:
running: :x:
hiking: 13.6 km
wellness workouts: :x:

Calf is still not 100% but back seems fine. I need to get back to doing something more, but maybe not Power Builder just yet. Will think on this.

writing: :x:
new fiction words: 0
fiction YTD: 131,653
story-a-week challenge: 38 of 52 completed
54 stories in my 54th year challenge: 38 of 54 completed
new consumable words: ?
consumable YTD: ?
target YTD for 2024 words a day in 2024: 574,816
deficit: ?

French: Fluenz

GOBOT :v:
SOOT :x:
GBOT :x:

Streaks:

Consecutive days of working out: 32
Consecutive days of French study: 1424
Consecutive days of no solo video games: 20
Consecutive days of SOOT: 0
Consecutive days of GBOT: 0

Move-in progress: Not much.

I want to do all the things! But there are not enough hours in a day.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
October 11:

1000 Calf Raises: Day 11
running: 6K
hiking: 13.4 km

Started my run with the OSRB group. But none of the other faster runners came out this night. The folks who were out said they would be going very slowly, so I decided to do an extra km and catch up with them on the way back. But they were not as slow as they had predicted. I saw no one on the return trip, and they did not even wait around at our gathering place for my return. Pfft. The good news is that I ran 6K at a decent pace and my calf twinged not at all.

The guy who organizes the group wants to do a trail run next week. (We normally run along an off-road paved trail. For this run he wants to do a dirt trail through a local conservation area.) I am all for trail running. Trail running is my jam. But instead of joining the proposed trail at the trail head (which is the closest access to the trail from our meet-up location) he is insisting the group will first run three blocks north and then access the trail via a road which leads right up to the front gate of the home of Uber Creep (the person who stalked me for 3 years and cost me my job, my home, and my community). Uber Creep f'ed over my entire life (and received not so much as a wrist slap for having done so--the crown attorney could not be bothered to prosecute the case and dropped the chargers against Uber Creep, in spite of the fact that he was a known repeat offender). And now the OSRB guy is organizing a run which involves running 500 metres down the road that is the only access to Uber Creep's house, literally running right up to the front gate of UC's house, and then returning the same way. In spite of the fact that his proposed route omits 850 metres of the trail he says he wants to run. And in spite of the fact that I have told him repeatedly I do not want to run up to the front gate of Uber Creep's house, and I have told him why.

OSRB guy actually said to me, "I have accessed the trail at that location many times and I've never seen anything untoward happening on that property."

Duh. A guy driving along his own driveway who the OSRB guy has never met isn't going to be noteworthy to him!

Feels like this guy is being deliberately obtuse to me. Also overly controlling. We're supposed to be a group of "running buddies". Not a dictatorship. If someone in your buddy group is saying, "I am 100% NOT comfortable with taking the route you have proposed. Could we run this alternate route that still takes us to the same place but avoids running right up to the front gate of my stalker's house instead?" would you not at least consider the route they have proposed?

This guy will not. So it looks like I'll be doing next week's trail run solo.
Sad.

target YTD for 2024 words a day in 2024: 576,840

SOOT :v:
GBOT :v:

Streaks:

Consecutive days of working out: 33
Consecutive days of French study: 1425
Consecutive days of no solo video games: 21
Consecutive days of SOOT: 1
Consecutive days of GBOT: 1

Move-in progress: Moved some things around to better organize my office space. (So that I can better access my work things easily without storing them in piles on the floor. Win!)

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
Thank you @JCU . My solo run will be great. I enjoy trail running alone or in a group. I had just hoped that a local running group that bills itself as "running buddies" and claims its mission is to be welcoming to everyone and make it easier for members to find running buddies who are at a similar pace and fitness level would actually be welcoming to everyone and make it easier for members to find running buddies who are at a similar pace and fitness level. But it turns out the group is in fact being controlled by one person who feels the need to decide for everyone else both the route and the pace of every outing, and who refuses to consider input and concerns from other group members.

This guy (and his followers) are in the habit of starting every run with a brisk walk, and then progressing to a slow jog, as a "warm up". Which is fine. But they then stop and do static stretching for 5-10 minutes before starting the run proper. Static stretching is the opposite of warming up! It decreases your heart rate, decreases blood flow to your muscles (relative to the active moving you were doing before), decreases your temperature (precipitously so if you're doing it outside in colder ambient temperatures) and completely reverses the benefits of the actual warm up you just did beforehand. Static stretching before a workout is also contraindicated by modern exercise science. When I raised these concerns with the guy who is attempting to control everything, he completely discounted them. "This is what I was taught, so this is what I'm going to do," he told me.

Okay. Whatever. I've been a competitive runner for decades (including competing nationally and internationally), I've trained with multiple different highly knowledgeable coaches, I'm a certified and experienced fitness instructor, and I do my own secondary research into current sports and exercise science (including reading the actual research papers whenever possible, not just the sound bites). But what do I know? In any case, I'm not interested in controlling other people. If they still want to stop and stretch in the middle of their run, after I explained to them why I (and other people knowledgeable in current exercise science) don't advise it, that's fine. We're all adults. This is why I've been separating from the group part way through the run. They stop to stretch. I do not. I run an extra km instead, and then meet up with them again on the return journey. Which is all fine.

What's less fine is that I am not the only person in the group who doesn't want to stretch in the middle of the run. All of the other runners I have met thus far who are capable of running at my speed also do not want the stretch stop. Yet the controlling guy is trying to pressure them into doing it.

Last week a new person came out. I was running with her for the warm-up. In spite of trying to run slowly, we were still a bit out ahead of everyone else. As we approached the stretching spot I explained to the new person that everyone else was going to stop and stretch at the building up ahead, but that I was going to keep going and pick up my pace. She said that she also preferred to keep going and to pick up the pace. So that is what we did. But as soon as we passed the stretching stop, the controlling guy started calling out to the new person, calling her name over and over, saying, "We're going to stop here. We stop here to stretch." He made it sound like she was doing something wrong by not stopping. The new person ran back to him, they had a brief exchange, and then she decided to continue on with me. I could tell she was a bit off put by the situation though.

Anyhow... I'm just going to keep doing my thing, doing what works for me, and following the exercise science as best I understand it. Everyone else can also do what they want. (The controlling guy isn't trying to control me. He figured out pretty quickly that wasn't going to fly. I'm just sore about him dismissing my concerns re: running up to the front gate of my stalker's house. Just because one doesn't share or understand another person's concerns doesn't mean those concerns aren't valid.)

Maegaranthelas

Bard from The Netherlands
Pronouns: They/them
"I sing and I know things"
Yeah, that guy sounds very uncool. It really isn't that difficult to take care of others in your group and avoid their LITERAL STALKER.
Honestly, without meaning to cause offense to any men, he just sounds like such a specific type of man :')
Needs to be the boss, he hasn't experienced it so it can't possibly be true, he thinks he's right so why ever change his mind when new evidence arises...

I hope this dude doesn't cause trouble for you, and that you can find proper running buddies in the group.
You deserve to feel safe when going out for a run. You deserve to feel safe everywhere. :love:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
@NancyTree @Maegaranthelas @PetiteSheWolf thank you.

I'm not worried about there being any trouble. I just thought I had found a group that would help me to find suitable running buddies in my new neighbourhood, and it's looking now as if it's not going to be so useful for that. But we'll see. For now I'm going to keep showing up to the meet-ups. New people do show up from time to time, and my being there and not kowtowing to the dictatorship of one individual shows them that that's a possibility. My being there has already enabled others in the group to say, "You know what? I'm not going to stop and do static stretching in the middle of the run either. That's not right for me," and, "Seven minutes a kilometre is too slow for me. I'm better conditioned than that," and make those choices for themselves and still have someone to run with. And if it means that some nights I show up and say hello to everyone and then as soon as we start running I'm on my own, that's okay. The meet-up location is only 650 metres from my home. So it's not much of an inconvenience to go there. And most of the people who do show up are friendly. If all I'm getting out of attending the group runs is a few minutes of checking in with friendly people, asking them how they're doing and telling them how I'm doing before ultimately doing a solo run, that's okay. It's still overall a positive experience.

The one guy really pushed my buttons by completely discounting my concerns re: running up to the front gate of Uber Creep's house. It reminded me far too much of the crown attorney refusing to take UC's crimes against me--and against at least one other woman that we know of--seriously enough to actually prosecute them. It reminded me far too much of the two male police officers who responded the third time I had to call the police out to my home in the middle of the night because I'd caught UC hunkered down on my front porch, spying in through my bedroom window, who actually criticized me because my "whole front porch was in darkness." At 2AM. Yeah. The police actually victim-blamed me. But I don't need to allow the arseholes of this world to spoil my interactions with good people.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
October 12:

1000 Calf Raises: Day 12
yoga: 10 min.
meditation: 5 min.
hiking: 10.6 km

target YTD for 2024 words a day in 2024: 578,864

Streaks:

Consecutive days of working out: 34
Consecutive days of French study: 1426
Consecutive days of no solo video games: 22
Consecutive days of SOOT: 2
Consecutive days of GBOT: 2

Move-in progress: Nothing. Went to bed good and early.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
October 13:

1000 Calf Raises: Day 13
hiking: 12.5 km

writing: short story
new fiction words: 2104
fiction YTD: 133,757
story-a-week challenge: 39 of 52 completed
54 stories in my 54th year challenge: 39 of 54 completed
target YTD for 2024 words a day in 2024: 580,888

French: Fluenz, CBC Gem

Streaks:

Consecutive days of working out: 35
Consecutive days of French study: 1427
Consecutive days of no solo video games: 23

Move-in progress: Did some moving things into the right general areas, filling up storage spaces without organizing them properly. Which I don't like to do. It will result in the apartment looking put together sooner, but mean it takes me a lot longer to actually organize things the way I want. It was necessary this day though, as my landlord's property manager had messaged me to say the maintenance guy was coming around to do some repairs. She at least told me the day before in this case, but wrote, "I'm not sure exactly at what time."

Landlords here aren't required to tell a tenant "exactly at what time" they or their agents will be visiting the unit. But they are required to make a reasonable effort to inform the tenant in advance of the time of entry. (Because of the "reasonable effort" clause, there is no hard and fast rule on the length of time window the landlord must specify. Most professional contractors will give a window of 4 hours, so it is generally considered "reasonable" for the landlord to inform their tenants of this same 4 hour window. On the other hand, it is not acceptable for the landlord to just say "sometime during the day".) I wrote back to the property manager asking her, "Do you have a ballpark time for when [the maintenance guy] is going to be here?" Her reply: "Unfortunately I don't."

In other words, the whole "I'm not sure exactly at what time" line was total bullshit. These people are not making any effort whatsoever to respect my legal right to notice of entry. I want the work to get done though. So I told her I would allow the guy entry after noon. This effectively gave him an 8 hour window in which he could show up. (Landlords and their agents are not allowed inside a tenant's private unit after 8PM or before 8AM.) It also meant I had to spend a good chunk of my morning:
  • clearing everything out of my hallway--since the maintenance guy was supposedly coming to fix the washing machine, which lives in what should be a closet in the hallway
  • clearing everything out of the refrigerator door shelves on one side and cramming these items onto the already crowded main shelves in my refrigerator (which has precious little useful space since the landlord installed a refrigerator with a chilled water dispenser and automatic ice-maker in a location where these features cannot possibly function because there is no water supply to the unit)--since the maintenance guy was supposedly coming to fix the refrigerator door which isn't hung properly and therefore isn't closing properly
  • hauling my big cooler out of storage (which required me to largely unpack and then repack a rather large closet) in case I needed to empty my freezer--because it should be a frost-free model but is building up ice at an alarming rate, and the maintenance guy is supposed to be fixing that too
  • ensuring that all of my radiators are accessible--since the shut off valve on every single one of them is stuck, and the maintenance guy is supposed to be fixing that
It also meant:
  • I could not do laundry all day
  • food prep was limited and a pain in the arse due to the situation with the refrigerator and also not being able to get into any particularly involved projects because the kitchen is tiny and there wouldn't have been room for me to work in their while the maintenance guy was working on the fridge
  • I could not have a nap (and I really needed one. I was brain dead tired after waking up too early that morning and not being able to get back to sleep again afterward)
Such are the inconveniences of living in rental housing. But they are meant to at least result in repairs actually being done in a timely fashion.
In this case, however, the maintenance guy failed to show up.
After asking me to "please be flexible" and allow this guy entry whenever he happened to pop around, he frakking failed to show at all.
Colour me enormously unimpressed.
Also: ask me how "flexible" I'll be the next time this crew attempts to get me to waive my rights under the law.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
October 14:

1000 Calf Raises: Day 14
hiking: 13.6 km

target YTD for 2024 words a day in 2024: 582,912

French: CBC Gem

GOBOT :x:

Streaks:

Consecutive days of working out: 36
Consecutive days of French study: 1428
Consecutive days of no solo video games: 24

Move-in progress: A fun thing this day: made the invitation and RSVP form for my housewarming party!

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
October 15:

Power Builder: :x: - still on a break
1000 Calf Raises: Day 15
hiking: 13.3 km

A friend came to visit us this day, and we hiked a trail around a reservoir just south of London. The trail was beautiful. Mostly forested but with good views of wetlands and of the fall colours starting to come in on the trees across the water. But it was strangely quiet. Very few squirrels. Almost no birds. At one spot where the trail meets up with picnic areas there were a bunch of American Robins and a couple of Northern Flickers. Elsewhere on the trail we saw one Bluejay, heard another, saw one House Sparrow, heard one American Crow, saw a couple more small birds too far away to ID. There were a few Mallards out on the water and one Double-crested Cormorant. Not much wildlife at all, considering it was an 8.8 km hike within pretty great habitat. Could have just been a quiet day, I guess. We'll likely try again in the spring. See what shows up during the May migration. There's also likely to be more wetland birds around at that time.

My calf is still not 100%. It doesn't bother me at all for hiking. But I do feel it during calf raises and sometimes when running. Not enough to stop either activity. But enough to refrain from adding in more lower body work at this time. Back is fine now though. So I want to get back to doing upper body stuff. Still thinking on this.

target YTD for 2024 words a day in 2024: 584,936

French: CBC Gem

GOBOT :x:

Streaks:

Consecutive days of working out: 37
Consecutive days of French study: 1429
Consecutive days of no solo video games: 25
Consecutive days of SOOT: 1
Consecutive days of GBOT: 1

Move-in progress: Nothing. Was a food prep and visiting with my friend day. The final board game I had backed on Kickstarter (23 months ago!) finally arrived this day (10 months late). My friend wanted to see it. So we spent some time unboxing it after our hike.

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
October 16:

Power Builder: :x: - still on a break
1000 Calf Raises: Day 16
hiking: 13.4 km

writing: proof reading