Progress over perfection

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Pronouns: She/her
I know that feeling... I prepare all I can to make sure I change and go out and warm up automatically, without thinking, because once you start thinking, it gets much harder. :LOL:

Oh, yeah, the thinking is 100% what gets me! I do try to prepare as much as possible - put out all my gear, changed my laces to elastic ones so it is as little effort as possible. Sometimes I also really need the 'Go on, get yourself out there' nudge to get out of my head and out on the road (which admittedly, I sometimes ask a friend to remind me, if I haven't sent them a proof of run by a certain hour).

Seconding @Mianevem's strategy. I prefer to run in the morning and having my clothes/shoes prepped definitely helps. The "deadline" of needing to finish before work starts also helps. All that said, there are some days where I'll put all my gear on and procrastinate another 2 hours (if it's evening) but I still make myself go. If my brain wants to negotiate I'll say "I'll only run X instead of the full Y" but will usually run my planned distance anyway.

I also spend arguably too much time making playlists for various running distances. If it's safe enough to listen to music while you run, I find that looking forward to the emotions in the music is often enough to get me excited to run.

Also if I'm having trouble I'll listen to motivational videos while staring at my gear which can help too (though it's corny and doesn't work for everyone).

Oh that's also a smart strategy! What type of motivational videos are those? Specific running ones, or just life motivation in general? Very open to trying out anything to trick my brain. I have a very similar thing, but I tend to listen to either podcasts for open running, or the Zombies! Run narrative (which does get less effective as I am repeating weeks at the moment). And that does help get me excited to go out some of the time.

I usually just step into some sneakers and run out the door... :oops:
Being able to do that would probably help a lot, absolutely. Unfortunately I can't really do that - I overheat if I run in my cozy sweats and normal shirts, and even with my small chest I can't run in something that's not a high support sports bra without getting aches. So I need to actually switch outfit completely, which I know sounds stupid but can be a real hassle.

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
JANUARY 10
:v: Run, C25k W4D1 [testing the waters before I move to the relative restriction free running of ZR]
Screenshot_20230111_135949_Runkeeper.jpg
:v: Power HIIT, day 10 [lvl I, 6 kg]
:x: Yoga
:x: The Guardian, day 10
:v: Push up - stuck at 15

JANUARY 11
:v: Power HIIT, day 11 [lvl II, 1.5 kg]
:v: The Guardian, day 10 [50 goblins, 1.5 kg weights]
:v: The Guardian, day 11 [all clear]
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 8
:v: Flexibility routine
:v: YWA: CENTER || Day 10: Energy

Later today:
  1. Taekwondo practice

The cat has been sabotaging my evening workout routine. He does his best to be included as much as he possibly can, but usually that makes yoga and stretching absolutely impossible if I want to not step on his tail or fall on him, or in this case turn him into a little pillow. I can't lock him out, cause then he wakes up the whole household and he likes sleeping in my bedroom.

IMG_0813.JPEG
(an example of him being super helpful, the second after I raised my head for some crunches - soft pillow, at least?)

Switching gears with the push-ups. Failing setup a roadblock, so I am going backwards to where I know I can do them, and tackle that block by proving myself wrong in time.

Current workout streak: 211

Last edited:

oneironaut

Alchemist from Astral Sea
"Are you dreaming?"
What type of motivational videos are those? Specific running ones, or just life motivation in general?
I will spoiler a couple of my favorites because they tend NOT to work for most people (also strong language):

Goggins tends to either fire people up or offend them but if it's crappy outside and I watch this I'm fired up:

This one is actually in one of my running playlists and probably less controversial (not sure who the speaker is):

I think these work because they help channel some of my anger at myself and people that have preyed on me in the past into exercise. The idea that no one is coming to save me and if I want to be strong I'm the only person that can arrange that are always at the top of my mind.

I also find interviews with ultra runners like Courtney Dauwalter extremely motivating (with less yelling) so it pays to try different things.

Also hell yeah, nice running. You said no more excuses and they didn't stand a chance. Accountability helps me a ton (in fact I'm thinking about how I still need to do the interval running I mentioned in my last post lol).

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
JAN 12 - 17
:v: Power HIIT, day 11 - 16
:v: The Guardian, day 12 - 17 (mostly all clear, just 50 goblins one day)
:v: YWA: CENTER || Day 12, 13, 15
:v: 52 mountain climbers
:v: ZR! 5K trainer, W3D3

tldr: the text below is a rant, and I needed to get things out, so please don't feel forced to read.

Ever since taekwondo practice last Wednesday, things have been going real downhill and just keep going downhill. That taekwondo practice went terribly and shattered my confidence in any of the kicks whether I am doing them right at all, whether any of my technique is right because even simple ap chagi techniques weren't ok. (I can't pull my toes back right for example, I just haven't ever had to use those muscles until now and I have next to no control of them). It feels like I am not worth my belt, like I wouldn't have deserved even white-yellow.

It hasn't helped that since thursday, I haven't slept more than four hours a night. Can't fall asleep before 2 AM, yet had to get up super early cause DHL might deliver a package. They are terrible at properly communicating when they are going to deliver. Waiting all day, not really being able to do anything bcs I have auditory processing issues, and would only realize a few minutes later that the doorbell had rung if I were focussed on something. High anxiety for me, somewhat stressful bcs I have to be present every second. Still no package, so I checked an alternate, more region specific version of their tracking site. The first site my track & trace linked just gave vague details like 'arrived in destination country' etc. This Belgian DHL site had a few more details for me. And my package that's being shipped from Germany to Belgium has just passed customs on Friday.... in Japan. Yeah. I don't know either. Already contacted support about it, but its been not fun. Because of this waiting, I haven't been able to run, really beyond Sunday.

0S34J5P.gif

I'm honestly exhausted to the bone, I've had only negative things happen this week, and taekwondo classes cancelled and missing out on things, and honestly I could use something good to happen.

Current workout streak: 217

Last edited:

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Congratulations on completing the Step Up Challenge and Fit December!

I've been finding it difficult to actually go on a run. No more excuses tomorrow. Just running. I love it when I actually get to running, when I am actually walking home afterwards, but the process of getting changed and going outside seems to take so much effort.
So much this during the winter months! During the summer the best time of day for me to run is first thing in the morning, and that is easy. Just get up and go, and I don't need to put on much clothing to do so. During the winter though, I just cannot make myself do that. It's still dark out, and so cold, and the promise of the afternoon being just a little bit warmer, or a little bit less windy will make me wait. But then other commitments start to get in the way. And it does take a lot more work to get ready for a winter run: so much more clothing to put on, and I need to be warmed up before I start, I cannot just start a bit slower and have that be my warm-up like I do in the summer.

I don't do a lot of mileage these days--only 20 km per week. This is the same as what I was doing in the summer, however I've switched things up in that I spread my mileage out over six days during the summer but I'm doing the same distance now in only four days per week. I realize this won't work for folks who have a specific training plan for competition, but for me, just wanting to stay strong and have running remain a part of my life, it helps. Because the biggest hurdle during the winter is definitely getting started.

:hug: for your crappy week. I hope things turn around for you soon.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Ever since taekwondo practice last Wednesday, things have been going real downhill and just keep going downhill. That taekwondo practice went terribly and shattered my confidence in any of the kicks whether I am doing them right at all, whether any of my technique is right because even simple ap chagi techniques weren't ok. (I can't pull my toes back right for example, I just haven't ever had to use those muscles until now and I have next to no control of them). It feels like I am not worth my belt, like I wouldn't have deserved even white-yellow.
I may be generalising here but probably every martial artist goes through this. Think of it, as hard as it may sound, as a Good Thing. You think you're not doing it perfectly (and quite frankly, you probably aren't because very few of us ever are!) but this means that you are able to recognise right from wrong, whereas when you were a white belt and a few up, you thought you weren't doing too badly and you thought you had things mostly right because you didn't know any better. Now you know better. I know for me, that's when I felt absolutely useless and actually had a meltdown in poomsae class (yeah, totally embarrassing!)
Calf raises and toe-walking can help you with those muscles, as well as just pulling your toes back with your hand or a resistance band and trying to push your toes forward. You'll get control. Stay with it.
Additionally, if you have a good coach whom you trust, tell that person how you feel. Chances are, he or she has also been there.
Remember, sometimes thing just go badly. That makes us appreciate more when things go well, and if we don't let those times drag us down, we try that little bit harder and improve. You can do this.

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Stop Motion Love GIF by Mochimochiland

Thank you for your support, @Fremen @PetiteSheWolf @TopNotch @CODawn @Laura Rainbow Dragon @JCU :heart:. Going back here an seeing your replies has really been helping me through.

I may be generalising here but probably every martial artist goes through this. Think of it, as hard as it may sound, as a Good Thing. You think you're not doing it perfectly (and quite frankly, you probably aren't because very few of us ever are!) but this means that you are able to recognise right from wrong, whereas when you were a white belt and a few up, you thought you weren't doing too badly and you thought you had things mostly right because you didn't know any better. Now you know better. I know for me, that's when I felt absolutely useless and actually had a meltdown in poomsae class (yeah, totally embarrassing!)
Calf raises and toe-walking can help you with those muscles, as well as just pulling your toes back with your hand or a resistance band and trying to push your toes forward. You'll get control. Stay with it.
Additionally, if you have a good coach whom you trust, tell that person how you feel. Chances are, he or she has also been there.
Remember, sometimes thing just go badly. That makes us appreciate more when things go well, and if we don't let those times drag us down, we try that little bit harder and improve. You can do this.
Yeah, I feel you on that meltdown and feeling useless. Once the class separated I definitely did the 'I'm going to sit on a bench and not do anythign anymore because all of this is just a failure anyway'. One of my coaches did come, see what's wrong and try to talk me through it. Kind of did exactly as you said - pointing out that even he has issues with some of the kicks we were doing, that we all have our strengths. Since he has also been pointing out what I do right before saying where to adapt kicks - probably because of that little outburst. But either way, I do appreciate it. As am I for that motivation you provided there. Thank you. And thank you for the tips on pulling toes back! I've been practicing a little every day, not intending not to not stay with it.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
JAN 18
:v: Daily stretching routine
:v: The Guardian, day 18 (100 goblins, 1.5 kg weights)
:v: Power HIIT, day 17
:x: YWA: CENTER || Day 17: Move
:v: Taekwondo training

JAN 19
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Shoulder Mobility program, W1D2
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Hamstring flexibility program, W1D2
:v: The Guardian, day 19
:x: Power HIIT, day 18
:x: YWA: CENTER || Day 18: Gaze
:v: ZR! 5K trainer, W3D3
DadQdsD.png

(overall, this doesn't look any better than last run, but I managed to run all of the intervals! I think I'm officially ready for W4)

JAN 20
:v: The Guardian, day 20
:v: Power HIIT, day 18 [lvl I, 6 kg weights]
:v: Power HIIT, day 19 [lvl I, 6 kg weights]
:v: YWA: CENTER || Day 19: Play

JAN 21
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Shoulder Mobility program, W1D3
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Hamstring flexibility program, W1D3
:v: The Guardian, day 21
:x: Power HIIT, day 20 [lvl I, 6 kg weights]
:x: YWA: CENTER || Day 20: Restore

JAN 22
:x: Daily stretching
:v: The Guardian, day 22
:x: Power HIIT, day 21 [lvl I, 6 kg weights]
:v: YWA: CENTER || Day 21: Strength
:x: Taekwondo practice

JAN 23
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Shoulder Mobility program, W2D1
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Hamstring flexibility program, W2D1
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Hamstring flexibility program, W3D1 (acidentally browsed too far, but letting it work)
:v: Power HIIT, day 22 [lvl III, 1.5 kg weights]
:v: The Guardian, day 23
:v: Taekwondo practice

Still to do:
- YWA: CENTER || Day 22: Align

The brief bit of snow we got has been wreaking havoc with plans and runs for a bit. Starting from this week, a bit of a change to the running plans. Tuesday & Thursdays are ZR 5K runs, then I'm going to instead do a recovery run on Sunday. Lately, the day after running my legs have felt really heavy and its somewhat impacting taekwondo practice. And with taekwondo practice possibly on Sunday & Monday, to give myself the best chance of getting the most out of practice, I'm going to be trying to instead try to use a slow, short-ish run to hopefully get the soreness out of my legs.

Looking at the pace chart for the nike running plans, I'll be aiming for a 10-ish minute run at 8'45" - 9'00" pace. Will be my first time testing runkeeper for pace goals as well. If I do get to 5k, or a more consistent running pattern in general, I'll reward myself with a Garmin watch that allows for pace control. But for now, i'm hoping that the Runkeeper pace goals work.

Current workout streak: 223

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
JAN 24: Running
:v: ZR 5K trainer, W4D1
k8oCnrf.png

:v: The Guardian, day 24 [all clear]
:v: Power HIIT, day 23 [lvl I, 1.5 kg weights (only ones I can do renegade rows with, my heavier weights are a bar with plates and is very unsteady - fewer sets due to cat interruption and risk of landing weights onto a curious kitten)
:x: Yoga & stretching - due to curious kitten

JAN 25: Taekwondo
:v: Power HIIT, day 25 [lvl II, 1.5 kg weights]
:v: The Guardian, day 25 [all clear - these marching steps are getting somewhat difficult and boring though]
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Shoulder Mobility program, W2D2
:v: MovementByDavid/David Thurin Hamstring flexibility program, W2D2
:v: yoga: YWA: CENTER || Day 24: explore
:v: Flexibility routine (in bits & pieces, during tkd practice)

5K training week 4 - finally bit the bullet and bought the subscription. Ending with a whopping 15 minute freeform run, or at least so Runner 4 warned me a little beforehand. And okay, I knew that in advance when I selected the run. But the warnings gave me some anxiety. I knew I could do that in pieces. So I set myself the lower goal/target of either running 5 minutes three times with a bit of walking, or half-half. Instead, after 6 or so minutes I just really got into the groove and kept running through the whole 15 minutes. Not the speediest, at 7'35" average, but I made it! I really like that 'empty brain, no thoughts, just run' feeling.
Though I do think something was a little bit up with the timing - my watch indicated a little over 16 minutes, rather than 15, and one of the previous 30 sec intervals also was closer to 10 seconds instead. However, I've had those small glitches before. So I'm sure tomorrow's session won't have those issues.

Hoping to get my stretching in before taekwondo training, as I know I probably won't get to it with how achey my legs are in the evening after practice.

Current workout streak: 225

Last edited:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
fewer sets due to cat interruption and risk of landing weights onto a curious kitten)
They move. Quickly. Though sometimes they can look awfully offended, like yesterday when one of mine was sitting on the mat behind me when I did the jump-back for a burpee. Two feet shot out straight into kitty! Oops... :LOL:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
They move. Quickly. Though sometimes they can look awfully offended, like yesterday when one of mine was sitting on the mat behind me when I did the jump-back for a burpee. Two feet shot out straight into kitty! Oops... :LOL:

They do! :glee: Little masters of sneaking around, yet they always seem to think we know precisely where they are at every second to avoid accidentally hitting them.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
My favourite is when I try to take a big step to avoid landing my foot on top of the cat--and he jumps up and quickly moves right where I attempted to put my foot. :epicdance:
Exactly ! Talented, those cats, I tell you. As long as its michievous.

That's no excuse!

:loveit:Honestly, that looks a little bit like heaven! Mine doesn't participate so much as... lies exactly where my hands should be, or lie under my body (and re-positions himself to be there again, if I move to the side), to then attack the strings of my jogging pants.

Thinking of the scalpels, sorry, the murder-mittens worn by kittens, I kinda hurt seeing that yoga class, LOL!
100%! Just hope they're all there for naptime, and not playtime

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
JAN 26
:v: Power HIIT, day 25, lvl I [knee hurt - didn't push it]
:v: The Guardian, day 26, [all clear]
:x: Daily stretching routine
:v: poomsae practice
:x: yoga

JAN 27
:v: Power HIIT, day 26, lvl II
:v: The Guardian, day 27, [all clear]
:x: 20 minute flexibility routine
:x: yoga
JAN 28
:v: Power HIIT, day 27, lvl II
:v: The Guardian, day 28, [200 goblins]
:v: Daily stretching routine - spread out over the day
:v: Yoga: YWA: Center || Day 27: Yin
:v: MBD: Shoulder mobility W2D3
:v: MBD: Hamstring flexibility W2D3

Last time I did W4D1 of a run, I got some comments from a stranger during the walk fast-walk slow - knee lifts section. Which, I should not take into account, but it is giving me a lot of anxiety about going out for that specific run again. Would have 100% done the run if I had a treadmill at home, or if I could do the walking on like the crosstrainer before I go for the actual running. Will push past it. Just not today

Current workout streak: 228

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
If there's something in a workout that makes you uncomfortable doing in public, do it when you get home. Sorry, but for me, no way am I skipping in public! At least, not without my son doing it with me in the shopping centre... Then it's my daughter who looks uncomfortable!
embarrassed blush GIF

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
JAN 29
:v: Power HIIT, day 28, lvl I [6 kg weights]
:v: The Guardian, day 29 (5 (or 15) minutes of march steps really is something else, isn't it? - all clear)
:v: Flexibility routine
:v: 10 minute recovery run (8'12" pace)
:x: Yoga

JAN 30
:v: Power HIIT, day 29, lvl I [6 kg weights]
:v: Power HIIT, day 30, lvl I [6 kg weights]
:completed:
:v: The Guardian, day 30 (all clear)
:completed:

:v: MBD: Shoulder mobility W3D1
:v: MBD: Hamstring flexibility W3D1

Still to do:
- Taekwondo practice
- Yoga

Okay, I did finish Power HIIT a tiny bit early - I like a 31 day month to be a day 'off' as it were. Just yoga, flexibility, and a run to do tomorrow! very very tempted by the new RPG program. Wanted to do one of the caroline girvan 30-day playlists, but I might need to strengthen my knee first before I do weight work. The new RPG program would be a perfect addition to practice form in kicks too...

The bit of a recovery run worked wonders. Sunday's tkd training was quite rough, very kicking intense. But after my run, all the heaviness in my legs went away. And even today, I feel perfectly fine beyond some soreness in my shoulders.

Do need to aim for something closer to 8'00", because otherwise with my short legs it's more of a power walk than a run. And okay, going out straight after i got off the train in my home town after tkd training wasn't the best idea. I thought it would be, because I usually run along the path that runs parallell with the train tracks and starts at the train station anyway. Turns out running with that very full backpack is much more annoying than I thought. Quick pass past home next time. But definitely worth repeating.

Current workout streak: 230

@TopNotch :LOL: Isn't that half the job of parents, embarassing kids in public (in a wholesome manner)?
I might just have to do the same and ignore the high knees. I usually try and skip them/do the high knees when I see there's no one around me, and I thought I was fairly on my own except for two people way ahead of me... Turns out the guy walking behind me was just a ninja!

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
:thanks:
@JCU @Fremen @HellYeah @Anek (x2!) @lofivelcro @TopNotch @CODawn @mavie @Froud @SkorpionUK @Lallafa

JAN 31: Rest
:v: Stretching, lots of stretching
:v: Poomsae practice

FEB 1: Run
:v: Shadebound, day 1, level 1
:v: Warrior Abs, day 1
:v: YWA: 7-minute pre-run yoga
:v: ZR! 5K trainer, W4D2
8Zwf7lN.jpg

:v: MBD: Shoulder mobility W3D2
:v: MBD: Hamstring flexibility W3D2

FEB 2: Flexibility
:v: Shadebound, day 2, level 1
:v: Warrior Abs, day 2
:v: Yoga || YWA || Feb Calendar: Yoga for Neck, Shoulders, & Upper Back
:v: Unbound, day 1
(need to do a little more - just not sure what exactly)

Minor change of plans, with taekwondo practice being cancelled. Figured I'd take my rest days right, and run Wednesday, Friday, & recovery run Sunday this week. Now how do I keep finding new programs that I didn't know existed? Swapping in Unbound, in favor of replacing my daily stretching routine, which I'm getting a bit bored of either way. While I definitely need a routine, I think I need to vary up what I do within that routine a bit more than I am currently doing, otherwise I get bored.

I may, at some point in the future, get a little taste of poomsae competition. I told myself I want to try at least once, especially at a low belt level just to get the anxiety lower. So I've been trying to get my poomsae at a good pace. Focussing on ee jang and sam jang, because those are the techniques I'm most comfortable at within the range of poomsae I'll be able to perform. Walking them to a metronome to get used to a proper pacing, focusing on
Though I do wish the person who I've been talking about this, could be a little more clear in telling me whether or not my techniques are at an "okay" level or not. I just don't want to shine a bad light on my club. But it is tough to sometimes get a straightforward answer out of that guy. We have two people who are responsible for poomsae competitions, so I could ask the second person about forms/where my focus should be and whether he thinks overall my techniques are at a level where I wouldn't make an embarassment out of them. But I have never explicitly asked him about it, so I don't even know whether he knows I've been talking about enrolling me into a competition in the future with the other person. It's a weird hang-up, I know, but I get a little anxious about it.

Current workout streak: 233

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you, @Laura Rainbow Dragon!

FEB 3 - 9
Every day:
:v: Shadebound, day 3 - 8
:v: Unbound, day 2 - 6 [Skipped day 7 so far]
:v: Warrior Abs, day 3 - 8 (no extra)

Saturday:
:v: MBD: Hamstring flexibility W3D3
:v: MBD: Shoulder mobility W3D3

Monday:
:v: MBD: Hamstring flexibility W4D1
:v: MBD: Shoulder mobility W4D1

Tuesday:
:v: ZR 5K trainer, W4D3
eCdSoYy.jpg

Friday
:v: Shadebound, day 9
:v: Unbound, day 7 + 8
:v: Warrior Abs, day 9 (no extra)
:x: ZR 5K trainer, W5D1
:v: MBD: Hamstring flexibility W4D2
:v: MBD: Shoulder mobility W4D2

Honestly, it's easy at this point to sum up everything in one go, because just not a lot has happened. No taekwondo this week because my friend is sick. No taekwondo, so no need for the Sunday recovery run, instead I spent the whole day playing video games with him. Wish I'd done more Yoga, but I didn't really have the right brain space for yoga this week. Flexibility practice overall has been weird this week - wider hips means everything feels off.

I originally meant to just start Week 5 of ZR 5k trainer, but my legs were not feeling great this so I did W4D3 on Tuesday instead. Glad for it, because running on being drained meant that that was a really difficult run. Made it through all the running intervals though, just with a bit less in the tank than last runs. Does W5 scare me atm? Absolutely. Only goal is running that first 10 minute interval. And then at least some of that second 10 minute interval. But we'll see.

EDIT: yeah, run did not end up happening, chickened out. Scooching things up a day.

Current workout streak: 239

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
FEB 10: Run
:v: Shadebound, day 10
:v: Warrior Abs, day 10
:v: Unbound, day 9
:v: Zombies Run, 5K trainer: W5D1
BcSKV5m.jpg

FEB 11: Rest
:v: Shadebound, day 11
:v: Warrior Abs, day 11
:v: Unbound, day 10
FEB 12: Rest
:v: Shadebound, day 12
:v: Warrior Abs, day 12
:v: Unbound, day 11
FEB 13: Taekwondo
:v: Shadebound, day 13
:v: Warrior Abs, day 13
:v: Unbound, day 12

FEB 14: Run rest
:v: Shadebound, day 15
:v: Warrior Abs, day 14
:v: Unbound, day 13
:x: Run

FEB 15: Taekwondo
:v: Shadebound, day 14
:v: Warrior Abs, day 15
:v: Unbound, day 14
:x: Taekwondo practice

Definitely not as much running as there should have been, or much extra stuff. Over the last few days we've been with a broken boiler - been in the process of getting it fixed, but I didn't want to risk taekwondo going worse because of muscle aches. My leg recovery seems so much worse whenever I can't shower hot.

The W5 run I managed to do though! 33 minutes total of running, further than I've ever run in total. I did not think I would be able to do both of those 10 minute runs, and didn't set out to but I did! 7'20" - 7'30" pace on both of them. Definitely went a bit too fast on the 1 minute intervals, and probably will try to pace myself a little more with them. Stupidly proud of myself for it. It's also meant that I feel a lot more prepared for 5K than the other C25k method. This was almost 4.5k of running, now just to chain everything together into one run. As opposed to just being taught to run for 30 minutes and never getting past that distance. I had my doubts, but this is going well.

Sparring in taekwondo practice though! Been ages - actual months, I think. I didn't do too poorly but I am also not good at it. By the time I register that I need to counter/block, my opponent's foot has already made contact with my protective gear. Doesn't help that my sparring partner friend is very speedy and used to compete in sparring and still has all of those reflexes in sparring now. He holds back, but he also is very difficult to actually catch, especially if you have short legs like I do. Not the best sparring partner for me, probably but he's my friend and I feel a lot more comfortable/safe sparring against him a the moment until I get the basics down more.

Current workout streak: 244

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you, @JCU @Laura Rainbow Dragon @TopNotch!

@TopNotch: Yes, we will! Only practice can make that reaction time faster - but its going to take quite a bit of hard work for me. It is kind of nice to read (though, mostly through your thread) that someone is struggling with the same issues!

FEB 16: Rest
:v: Shadebound, day 16
:v: Warrior Abs, day 16
:v: Unbound, day 15

Quiet day - woke up to a cat on my chest asking for pets, or maybe it was a little too cold for him and needed body heat. Either way, a much nicer way to wake up than an alarm. Am struggling with being able to keep my chest up for side splits. I have strength to a certain degree, but I am more flexible than I seem to have strength, because I can't keep my feet from sliding away..

Planning on running prior to a DnD session on Sunday (normally run around noon, this will be like seven - eight AM so I can be presentable to leave by nine thirty) , so tomorrow will be a trial of early running. If I can drag myself out of bed early enough.

Current workout streak: 245

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
FEB 17: Run
:v: Shadebound, day 17
:v: Warrior Abs, day 17
:v: Unbound, day 16
:v: Running-ish

Did some very unstructured running - intervals of speed, I was feeling a little too nauseous to feel comfortable going out the full 50 minutes. Good thing too, because as it turns out I hurt my toe joint during taekwondo which flared up with every step, and that was not fun to run in. Retrying Sunday, but not the whole Zombies Run run - probably one of the C25K runs or a 3 x 1 km. Don't want to overdo it and have issues for taekwondo class on Monday.

Current workout streak: 246