How long will I keep it up ?

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
If you want to train pull-ups regularly I recommend using gloves, they avoid many problems :)
and meanwhile healing vibes :vibes:

Tileenah

Warrior from France

Tileenah

Warrior from France
@Nihopaloa :thanks:yes I think it's because I already had it a few months back and my immune system was ready for this one. So it only lasted a day this time and was completely other. I even felt rested yesterday! Incredible...
@Fitato :flowers:thank you! I wish it were the case every time, that would be the coolest superpower 😅
@f1shtacular you maybe right... I'll have to reconduct the experiment and BUY LOTS OF STRAWBERRIES AND EAT THEM!!! Muhahaha the evil sicknesses won't stand a chance! :chopper::D (And neither will the strawberries...)

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Today I ran 6km and did D25 of hiit advanced, total abs and unbound.
I feel kind of stupid because my one pull-up is in truth a variation of a pull-up (classic : with shoulder-width grip and not wider than shoulder-width grip). I can't do even one real deal pull-up, which was to be expected as this is a difficult strength exercise. But as I thought I was able to do one, realising that I can't makes me sad. Which is ridiculous really but I can't change how I feel.
So far I did 2 negative pull-ups (the attempt at a third failed), 30secs dead hangs and could only manage 2 chin-ups today. Funny how one's mood can change one's performance, right?
I will edit if I do more, but I'm not sure I will...

HellYeah

"On the Run!"
Sorry, to interrupt, but nitpicking about "the pull-up" is understandable but in the end a bit ridiculous. In the german language every exercise you start with hanging and end with your chin over the bar is called a Klimmzug (climb-pull). Even a "real pullup" is a progression of the basic exercise, if you wanna call the chin-up the most basic one of the "Klimmzüge"... Be very proud of your Klimmzüge, no matter what variation, and gripping wider than shoulder with is even harder than shoulder width pullup. Just saying: Try to give yourself a rest day from pulling, after 2 or 3 days, your muscles need rest to grow and recover...

Tileenah

Warrior from France
@f1shtacular :love:
@HellYeah sorry, I'm very new to the whole pull-up thing, and wasn't aware I was nitpicking. When I showed my new pull-up bar to a friend who's way more used to fitness than me and she corrected my posture I couldn't get up at all and I felt bad, hence the post... Thank you for your recommandation on getting a rest day, I will definitely do that. I don't train in strength usually and should read more about it to know how it's done, the rules are a bit different from cardio-training. I am aware I am being ridiculous and that I should be proud of what I can do. :bigyes:

HellYeah

"On the Run!"
Form is important and it's good you have someone who is able to correct you, but in the early beginning, it is all about pure intuitive strength. Once you can do two reps it's time to focus on form, the more you can do the more you are "allowed" 😉 to be nitpicky...

Here are a few interesting videos about form:

Nihopaloa

Duelist from Germany
"Eyyyy"
Heh, there's no reason to be sad, 2 chin-ups are already 2 more than the average woman can do. Just saying.
Although I can absolutely understand the frustration. When I started, I managed to do one pull-up, was super happy, and then I took months to repeat that feat. Really, it's not an easy exercise. On top of it, women are already weaker when it comes to upper body strength. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use that as an excuse to not try our hardest, but it usually means we might take longer and probably will cap out at a lower number of reps than males training pull-ups. I've read a few times that some women are never able to do a single proper pull-up, but I wouldn't sign that as truth.
I just mention this because strength training often is about managing expectations and finding limits. For example, after several years of training I still can't do a proper ass-to-grass bodyweight squat. My ankle mobility is abysmal and I have no idea if I can ever fix this or if I'm doomed to work around it. No matter, I do squats as best as I can and often opt for variations.
Like I said, 2 chin-ups after such a short time of working towards them are pretty good. Honestly. Keep at it, find your (current) limits and look for ways to overcome them. :gogogo:

TakingBabyStepsBack

"Keep fighting. Fortune will favor the patient and persistent."
:gogogo:Tileenah! You've got this.

The pull-ups will come. They're very hard; in pre-Darebee days when dinosaurs ruled the world I could do a band-assisted pull-up as shown in one of the videos shared to you by another bee because that was all I could do...and those were closely supervised by a trainer.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Pronouns: She/her
Just wanted to throw in a little bit: I think it is absolutely not ridiculous to be upset or disappointed when it turns out you were doing a variation without realizing, or making it "easier" on yourself. It sucks to be told you're doing something wrong, and not being able to do a thing you thought you could. :hug:
But I'm 100% sure that that variation will come to you soon too, all the work you've been puttiing in pays off! You've got this.

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Thank you so much for your support guys :lovable: @Nihopaloa @TakingBabyStepsBack @BetaCorvi @Fitato @Froud you guys are soooo nice it's incredible! You boosted my day!
@Nihopaloa it's true it's harder on women : I train everyday since 3 months now and my husband, who only trains once in a while, can already do 2 pull-ups in a row 😅 I'll keep in mind I am still a strong woman 😊
@TakingBabyStepsBack I'll try those, I haven't yet... Thanks for sharing!
@BetaCorvi you completely got it, that's exactly how I felt... Thanks for understanding and wording it so clearly!
@Fitato I will train for one pull-up then 2 and then, who knows! Maybe even 3! :D
@Froud yes I bought gloves on retail on Fremen's suggestion. I should receive them this week :ss: Gardening gloves do the trick meanwhile.

And now today's log : I did D26 of hiit advanced, total abs (up and down planks... Those are hard for me...) and unbound. Hiit advanced was while cooking zucchini-pancakes for dinner for family and meeting tonight so I'll give myself extra points for that :angel:Rest day for pull-up training as HellYeah suggested. I should have run 8km today according to my training plan but I won't make it as I have a meeting tonight that is going to be a long one... And my husband was on site today so I couldn't go during my daughter's nap. I'll reschedule it tomorrow but that means I have to run 5km thursday and it's going to be tricky as it's already african dance-course night... It will all work out somehow.

Last edited:

dancer

Fae from India
Pronouns: She/Her
"New Bee getting fit"
Just venting here, feel free to skip this message completely.
So... I told you a a few days ago that my eating disorder was back. I've been trying to keep it in check but last week's moving triggered me a lot... There was not much time so I went back to eating (not homemade) cookies and saw everyone eating stuff I've been denying myself for years for ethical reasons (but that I actually like). So I thought "Hey, why shouldn't I allow myself one small lapse this week as I am in exceptional circumstances" and ate a bit of those. And during the moving it was okay because the days were so full of stuff to do and no time to think that I thought it would be all right.
Now the week is over, I have time to rest and think, and I'm just obsessing over that food that I don't want to buy but that I like anyway. So I eat loads of "allowed" stuff, knowing that it won't stop my cravings because it's not what I want. And I reached the weight where I spiral again (I'm actually not overweight or anything, my disease is in my head... I mean no disrespect to anyone who deals with health and aesthetics problem with their weight)
So now I'm really afraid and I obsess about eating/not eating even more... I need to find a way to nurture me that is not through food... And to stop eating when I'm tired or emotional, it's not helping...
loads of love and hugs for this! dont worry so much!

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Thank you @dancer ! :love: and thanks again @TakingBabyStepsBack :flowers:
@f1shtacular do you not have those around your place? My course is called "dum dum danse" (pronounce "doom doom dance" which sounds way more creepy than it should :haha:) and is a mixup of dances from senegal, guinea, congo that are danced while playing on a "dum" which is a kind of drum. And there are live percussions while dancing. I wasn't thrilled about the drum thing at first because I thought it would get in the way of the dancing but it doesn't and it's really awesome :ss:

Edit : or maybe it's the "course" word that is wrong and I should use lesson instead and that's what made you laugh? In french lesson is cours so course is kind of a false friend I guess? Sorry 🙈

Edit 2 : yup, checked what course meant and I will not graduate from african dance or anything. Just bad english here sorry... I will now hide under my covers from shame for at least 5 more minutes.

Last edited:

dancer

Fae from India
"New Bee getting fit"
Thank you @dancer ! :love: and thanks again @TakingBabyStepsBack :flowers:
@f1shtacular do you not have those around your place? My course is called "dum dum danse" (pronounce "doom doom dance" which way more creepy than it should :haha:) and is a mixup of dances from senegal, guinea, congo that are danced while playing on a "dum" which is a kind of drum. And there are live percussions while dancing. I wasn't thrilled about the drum thing at first because I thought it would get in the way of the dancing but it doesn't and it's really awesome :ss:

Edit : or maybe it's the "course" word that is wrong and I should use lesson instead and that's what made you laugh? In french lesson is cours so course is kind of a false friend I guess? Sorry 🙈

Edit 2 : yup, checked what course meant and I will not graduate from african dance or anything. Just bad english here sorry... I will now hide under my covers from shame for at least 5 more minutes.
You are very welcome and this sounds fabulous @Tileenah <3

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Today I did D27 of hiit advanced, total abs and unbound, ran 8km, did the back and arm workout for strength training for pull ups with 2 dumbells of 8 kg, 2 classic pull ups, 45 sec dead hang, 3 chin ups and 3 negative pull-ups. I think I'll work more on those negative pull-ups tomorrow, I really feel my muscles burn with this exercise...
Calling it a day for today 😊
Have a nice night or day bees!

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Thank you @Montserrat and @ZenFighter :flowers:
Today african dance class was cancelled so I did my workouts instead : D28 of hiit advanced, total abs and unbound done. I also ran 5km and managed 2 pull-ups, 2 chin-ups, 2 negative pull-ups and 10 sec flex-hang.
I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow's race : I'll get up really early to run 19km. I don't know why but it seems worse to me than the actual 21,1km goal. Maybe because I think that if I manage 19km I'll manage 21... But it's the first time I'll be running 2 hours straight so I don't know how I'll manage.
Wish me luck !
See you tomorrow bees !

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Thank you @Nihopaloa and @Montserrat ! I read your messages before my run and it helped :love:
So there. I did it. I think I might have become completely crazy. I woke up at 5.30 a.m. to go on a 19km run. And I did it. I mean who does that ??? :shoked:

Then I ate breakfast, prepared daughter for school like every other day. The bike ride with daughters was ouch on the legs (I should train more, it's not normal to hurt in the legs while riding an electrical bike :imp:). I will not be doing any other workouts today (surprising, huh ?)

dancer

Fae from India
"New Bee getting fit"
Thank you @Montserrat and @ZenFighter :flowers:
Today african dance class was cancelled so I did my workouts instead : D28 of hiit advanced, total abs and unbound done. I also ran 5km and managed 2 pull-ups, 2 chin-ups, 2 negative pull-ups and 10 sec flex-hang.
I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow's race : I'll get up really early to run 19km. I don't know why but it seems worse to me than the actual 21,1km goal. Maybe because I think that if I manage 19km I'll manage 21... But it's the first time I'll be running 2 hours straight so I don't know how I'll manage.
Wish me luck !
See you tomorrow bees !
well done! All the luck is always with you and rooting for ya!

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Thank you @TopNotch @Montserrat @Fremen @HellYeah @BetaCorvi @Nihopaloa @NancyTree @Zenchan @JCU @CODawn @dancer ! :sendlove:

@Zenchan yes, 21,1km is the objective... Next week hopefully!
@Fremen @Montserrat and @BetaCorvi I saw my stepbrother do incredible sport feats every other week-end and still manage all he had to do in his house and with his family and I always wondered how he did it... I guess he was very well trained. I am quite proud of this.

Anyhow, yesterday was a very needed rest day. I saw the burpees on day 29 of hiit advanced and just went... Naaaah not today. (What do you say to the god of burpees?)

So I had to do them today. It was my own version of hell. I still did the 7 sets (a little more than 360 basic burpees in total) but I thought I wouldn't manage at every set...
And then came D29 of total abs which was also very hard... I guess those 19km took their toll anyway.

I also did the biceps and back workout for pull-up training with 8kg weights, and did 3 classic pull-ups, 2 chin ups, 10 sec flex hangs and 5 negative pull-ups. It's progressing!

Then I ran a chatty easy run with a friend for 10km. Loved that ❤!

Have a nice day or night bees! I hoped you enjoyed yourself as much as I did!

Last edited:

Tileenah

Warrior from France
Thank you @aku-chan :love:

Today is double badge day!!!! :dance:
I did D30 of hiit advanced, and D30 of total abs (though I had to be on my knees for that last minute of plank, it was that or give up. I can hold for 5 minutes, but not 6.)
I also did D30 of unbound so I finished that program for the second time around.
I also ran 5km and felt good while running, like I hadn't for a loooong time... So I pushed myself for speed and ended up with an average of 5'01" per km! PR for this year! I'm so happy!!! :ragdoll:

30 days of hiit advanced was challenging for me. There were many days I thought I wouldn't manage the 7 sets but I always did in the end. I think it made me progress a lot because it was just the right amount of difficulty : I could handle it, but it was hard. My body has changed a lot, I can see clearly my muscles and it's really cool :LOL:
Total abs was really good for me too. I now can see my abs and although I can't hold plank variations for 6 minutes I can for 5 and that's definitely progress for me. I never thought I'd be able to have a stomach I actually like after 2 pregnancies... I'm lucky!
Round 2 of unbound was not as good as round 1. I didn't improve as much in flexibility and started to be a bit bored with the program : note to self, don't do 2 times in a row a program, even if you loved it the first time.

Now for new plans : I'll continue to do my programs 4-5 days a week to allow some room for longer runs and rest days. I have my eyes on bootcamp which has shorter training sessions, (which will be nice after total abs+30 days of hiit advanced that could be a long combo on some days) but also challenging because 60 days and not "only" 30.
I still need to improve flexibility so I'll add 30 days of yoga. I haven't decide if I'll add an abs workout as an add-on yet. I still need to work on those but I need to have shorter sessions so that I stay motivated. Maybe I'll just add abs workouts the days I feel like it.

Have a nice day or night bees! :perfect: